Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Will the 01-04 Z06 be a collector piece?

B

BLUBYU

What do you all think. Could these cars be the '67 427 cars of the future?

I know the ZR1 was a special piece but it was also like a bastard son. From the engine to the brakes, the ZR1 was too "off the map" in my opinion to be a hot collectable.

I kinda think the 01-04's (with the '03 being the hottest) Z06's will have a collectability factor in the next decade. I do know the the C6 Z06 with its 75K+ price tag has made the value of the C5 Z06 go up.

What are your thoughts?

Great question!

All Corvettes, given proper care, maintenance and OEM condition will eventually appreciate in value (my humble opinion). They’re an icon that has a strong following and rich history. Just look at the aftermarket for these cars! It will take more than a decade for most Corvettes to bottom out value wise, then begin a slow, gradual appreciation.

Out of the run of C5 Z06’s, the one with the highest potential of being a sought after collectable may be the ’04 Z16. Only time will tell with these cars. There were quite a few Z06’s produced, it was a huge hit and to our marques credit, pulled in off-brand buyers.

When it comes to “collectability” in the Corvette world, it seems to usually be a car that has a low production number, optional engine, special badging/graphics that fare well. Not sure what the complete C5 Z06 production run was, but that is another factor, the overall number of vehicles produced.

Out of the ZR-1’s, the model years that seem to be holding their own are the ’93 40th Anniversary and any 95 ZR-1 in top condition. The other years do not seem to be as strong as these two at this time. There were a total of 6,939 ZR-1’s produced from 1990 to 1995.

B17Crew
:w

With the exception of the Z16, I do not think the C5Z06 will be a collector piece.

We've been fortunate that C5Z06 prices have held due to strong C6Z06 sales, which may not be the case once C6Z06s are discounted.

Either way, who cares. The C5Z06 is a hell of a car.

This question has been raised before. Ultimately, the only way we're going to know is to wait for the years to pass and see what actually happens.

But... compared to the C6 Z06, the C5 Z06 has a unique feature: it was designed as a fixed roof coupe design with a shortened back window. That makes it easily recognizeable, and of course, that fact can be coupled with the knowledge that the Z06's LS-6 engine came with a bit more power out of the box than did either the coupe or convertible, and that may tip the scales in our direction in our future years.

How much, we'll have to see. But that's the perspective I'm bringing. Mind you, as I own a 2003 Z06, I have a bit of a bias, so view my comments through that filter.

-Patrick

C5 Z06es will never gain the value or the status of either the 67 427s or the ZR-1s.

Why?

Because C5 Z06s--with the exception of the '04 LeMans Commoratives, maybe--were built in larger quantities.

This is not to say Z06es aren't great cars but if you're looking for them to become good investments...look elsewhere.

Glad to hear the c5 z isn't going to be a collectible.

I'm having too much fun using this thing!

JMO

but the best investment there is ....involves using the c5 z as much as humanly possible.

:L what a great sports car!

The C5 Z06 has a unique feature: it was designed as a fixed roof coupe design with a shortened back window. That makes it easily recognizable, and of course, that fact can be coupled with the knowledge that the Z06's LS-6 engine came with a bit more power out of the box than did either the coupe or convertible, and that may tip the scales in our direction in our future years.
-Patrick

Ahhhh, one of the very reasons I bought my 04 Z.......:upthumbs

If you watch Barrett Jackson you'll find that the majority of collector cars are about 40 years old. So by the time our C5's are that old, we'll all be dead! ;LOL

If you watch Barrett Jackson you'll find that the majority of collector cars are about 40 years old. So by the time our C5's are that old, we'll all be dead! ;LOL

IN forty years, I'll only be .... 98!

:boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie

Good Point about age !

What we have now should be driven and not stored unless you want to leave it for somebody else to drive and enjoy.

Alan:beer

In 40 years the cars won't be running on gasoline. Who knows what we'll be driving by then.

When I bought my 03'Z, I figured what could be better than a 50th Anniversary year, top of the line ZO6 Vette? Yes, it will depreciate until it hits rock bottom, then the junk yard can have it. :boogie

Tuff Love

This is my 4th Corvette. I've never worried about collectability. Drive em, modify em, drive em some more. I always kept them very well maintained and out of the winter weather.

Remo:cool

C5 ZO6 Collectible?

I hope so! I'm banking on it to at least hold its value.

I was in the hospital for 32 days, the first week in critical condition. While I was there my Corvette sat in the garage...undriven. When I was discharged a friend of mine said to me "Drive the damn car. If you don't, someone else will". I drive mine more now than I ever did.

due to the quantity built, I do not see the C5 Z's as collector items.....besides, we would be missing out on too much fun if we kept them locked away in storage

Collectable vehicles are rarely driven. The real question at hand is whether these will appreciate in value over time. Properly maintained these, Corvettes will appreciate in value over the course of time. Had I known in 1979 that the split window would command the price they have today, I would have snatched the one I was looking to buy for $2000. But I didn't realize what was going to happen nearly thirty years later. Will the Z06 become a collector item 2044? I'm certain there will be a few examples out collecting dust right now that will command some ungodly price tag, but their owners have missed out alot smile miles unless they were in the position to buy two (1 to drive and 1 to collect dust). IMO if you are going to modfy one of these cars, properly store every part you remove and store them carefully. The stock parts will make your example more valuable in the future than all the performance parts installed today. JMHO

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom