Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Window cleaning

I've moved this thread to Care & Detailing where we're sure to get many more windshield cleaning suggestions.:)

Elaine

Thanks for the advice about Stoners. Is this easily purchased at an auto parts store? I was beginning to think I was the only one who couldn't get the front and back windows streak-free (mine's a c6, but seems to be the same problem.) Will give it a try. :)

I just picked up some Stoner's at the local Target. 22oz plastic spray bottle on sale for $2.80. Great stuff. :cool

I did a rather comprehensive study of various glass cleaners a few years back. I used an evenly coated dirty slab of glass (outdoor patio table) and tested four different glass cleaners. I used all the same type of new rags and papertowels. I tried to use the same amount of product for each section. The foaming cleaners (ZEP, Stoner) are a bit easier than the liquid squirt bottles.

I checked for the ability to cut dried, caked dirt, light dirt, and if it left streaks. Besides visible streaking, I also simulated what you see when the windows fog up. I breathed heavy on them to see if the condensation gave the appearance of hidden streaks.

The contenders:

TurtleWax ClearVue Auto Glass Cleaner
pd_tw_clearvue.jpg

Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner
r_arm_glssclnr_0706.jpg

ZEP Glass & All Surface Foaming Cleaner (aerosol)
(No Picture)

Stoner's Invisible Glass (aerosol)
(No Picture)

Last Place: TurtleWax ClearVue. ...lots of streaking. Dirt-cutting ability was OK, but nothing fantastic.

Picking the Top 3 was a bit harder.

All three had great dirt-cutting ability. The foams have a slight advantage there because they can cover more area more evenly than the ArmorAll pump bottle. The even covering of the foaming sprays allows for better saturation into heavy dirt areas.

For cutting right down to the glass, both Stoner's and ArmorAll did a great job of not leaving nearly any contaminents on the glass. Squeaky clean! The ZEP also did a great job of cutting the dirt, but has some additive in it that leaves a smooth, almost slippery finish, like a micropolymer finish or something.

None of the Top 3 had visible streaking.

During the "heavy breathing / condensation" portion of the test, the ZEP had just an very minor streaking visible. I can imagine this is likely due to the finishing additive. This is probably where the "All Purpose" part comes in. I use this on the kitchen appliances where that kind of streaking is a non-issue.
The Stoner's and ArmorAll had almost no streaking under either scenario. But it was determined by myself and the other panel judge present that the Stoner's had just slightly more streaking than the ArmorAll.

So where does that leave us?

3rd Place: ZEP Glass & All Purpose Cleaner

2nd Place: Stoner's Invisible Glass

1st Place: ArmorAll Auto Glass Cleaner

Yep, even I was surprised! ArmorAll pulled off an upset!...just barely!

But...here's the thing. On a per usage basis, I believe that the Stoner's is a better value due to probably getting more use from the foam since you seem to need less of it due to the aerosol dispersion of the foam versus the more concentrated action of the pump sprayer.
-------

I actually keep both Stoner's and ArmorAll in my inventory. There are times where the foaming is easier to work with versus the pump sprayer of the ArmorAll. If I'm cutting heavy dirt, I use Stoner's. If I'm doing general glass/window cleaning, I use the ArmorAll.

Since doing this little comparo two-three years ago, I've also come up with some other products that I've been very happy with.

I don't know who's formula they use, but Andersen Windows has a kickass foaming cleaner. I may like it better than Stoner's, but I haven't put it through it's paces.

I also find myself using acetone if I need to really clean glass and chrome. It will leave streaks if it's not quickly wiped up, but talking about cutting power!!! I love it on chrome! If need be, I'll then go over it with the ArmorAll cleaner.

As far as newspaper goes as an initial cleaner, I think it's the paper itself and not the fact that there's print/ink on it. It starts off abrasive but then quickly becomes soft and pulpy which could lend itself to good initial cleaning properties. NOTE: DO NOT use newspaper on the glass T-tops of the C3's, where we have that mirror reflective coating on the outside. I found out years ago that the newspaper is initially too abrasive and will leave scratches in the coating. ;squint:

To all who participated in this "quest for glass beauty" my heartiest THANK :upthumbs YOU! I just got back to Boston from a trip to Florida to visit "the OTHER love of my life". While I was there I tried the Stoner's and microfibre towels method, and I'm here to tell you that it was the best advice that I ever followed. The first application got most of the crud off, and the second one finished the job! Now, all it takes is a once over with Stoner's and microfibre towels, and it's fantastically clean! My wife is also a convert, buying Stoner's and microfibre towels for both houses. Thanks:upthumbs again for the replies!
Andy:w

Stoner's for Me

I agree. I finally got some Stoner's from Target. Hard to find as it was on the bottom shelf and the name STONER's was very small on the can. But, it is the only thing that has worked! Really good stuff. I'm sure some others work also, but I know this did the trick on the constant streaks I'd see after several cleanings. All I'd have to do is catch it in the sunlight the right way and my glass usually looked as though it hadn't been worked with at all. Stoner's and micro fiber cloth here. ;)

Since I don't know if many of us have heard of Adam's products, here's a link.
*click!*

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom