Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Window on passenger side won't come down

M

McVette

Been having a little bit of problems with my window on the passenger side. It's been a little sluggish going up and down, now looks as though not going to go down anymore. Wondering how hard is it to get the door panel off of a 96. At first glance looks like it might come on off but I know nothing is simple. Also when I get the panel off what should I look for?

If it's like mine, there are a number of screws hidden in the carpeted part, plus the speaker grille screws. There is a bit of art involved in getting the door handle and lock off, but with care and patience, you'll see it and not break much. :) Gently pry it away and look for resistance, which is a screw or a snap connector. You have a manual to refer to?

When inside, look for something loose that is impeding movement, but it could well be the motor. I'd have to check Eckler's to see if the '96 has the 'ribbon', which I have replaced twice, but in my driver side door. Dirt gets in the slides and mucks up the old grease, slowing things down. The ribbon is easy to change; the rest is cleaning and lubing.
:w

Hey, if nothing else works break the glass and get rid of the window... You will have both the car and the driver running cooler due to turbulance inside the cockpit...

:L :L :L

I had the same problem and put in a new up/down switch.
It's a bit of a pain since you have to go underneath and also remove some of the console parts, but there's where you should start.

window

listen the passenger window in my 94 coupe quit working. I followed the troubleshooting procedure in the GM Repair Manual and was all ready to have someone install a new motor. In frustration I grabbed the window and shook it side to side and up and down vigrously. The damn thing started working and has been working since.

Try that, if it still doesn't work I will scan and attach instructions on removing door panel and troubleshooting (keep in mind for a 94) and any assistance I can...

A few years back (note that), I experienced a similar failure of the right window. It appeared that the motor needed to be replaced. I rarely used that window, so that didn't surprise me. Someone suggested that I do as samborskij did and shake it and try pushing down on it while trying to lower it. It started working!

It's still working. I exercise it regularly now and haven't had any more problems with it. Guess it got dirt or something in there that kept the motor from turning; but once it started working, it's kept working.

Take a look at:

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2000/december/window/windowpg1.asp

I don't know if this will help since the article is for an early C4, but I believe the regulators were the same for everything 86 and later.

For some reason the navigation on the site is screwed up but you can get to the next page by changing the number in the url itself (i.e. windowpg2.asp,windowpg3.asp,...).

I am bumping this up because I have replaced the power window motor and power window switch (pass side) in my 95 and my window still won't work. Any suggestions? Should I bang on the motor like some do or what?

Thanks.

stupid suggestion but it worked on my 82.. did ya try holding the window switch and slamming the door.. worked like a charm on mine

Yes, tried wiggling window then slamming door. It still did not work. Something tells me that the window could be in a bind. I guess I will just
pay someone to look at it. ;shrug:mad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom