Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Window seals

garys86

Corvette
1986 White coupe
Me again looking for some advice, I've purchased new repro inner & outer window seals, anything I need to buy or know before I start to change them out?
Thanks,
Gary

Go for It!

The above referenced article is informative. The second side will take 1/3 as much time as the first. Patience with the door lock switch.

The only thing I can add is this: I had a hard time getting the new clips to go into the holes, I ended up using a rubber mallet to tap the weatherstrip down. Like Greg said the second one will only take a few minutes.

JonM said:
No...the clips are molded into the seal...I am not sure if the rivets come with the seal or not...but you can get aluminum (don't use steel) rivets at any hardware or home center.

Yea, what Jon said. Hopefully you have a rivet gun, if not than get one. I beleive that the rivets are 1/4" long and 3/16" diameter. And again, don't use steel rivets, get the aluminum ones.

my old inner window seal was stapled into place. whats the best way to mount the new inner window seal to the top of the door panel? i don't have a big staple gun like GM used!! rivets used for this too?

Iv'e read that they bend and remove the staples and then re-use them on the install. I will be installing a set this winter so just wait and i'll get back to you :L

yeah i thought about that myself, but the old seal i had to cut the staples to get it off. and that part of the seal that mounts to the door panel has aluminum in it for support so not sure how you could get the wholes right for the old staples in the new seal.

tigmaned, I have not done the inner seals, but it seems to me that possibly a rivet might work. How about a heavy duty staple gun and then just bend over the ends?

o.k. i got the inner window seal mounted on the door panel, found some small short screws and it worked good. but i messed up my outer window seal! i had it in and tried to get all started at the same time, but needed more hands for that way. then tried one end in and worked my way down, no good either. and taking the new seal off i wrecked the outer seal so now i'll have to get another one i think. crap!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom