Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

windsheild problems

supernatural400

Corvette
1993 SuperNatural 400 #5 /99 LS1 Z28 N2O equipped
windshield problems

Not sure whats on my windshield but it looks like hundreds of tiny chip marks when you look through it when the sun is facing you. This seems to have developed on both my cars. I know these are not rock chips and it can't be any kind of sap as both cars are always garaged and never left outside. any idea what this could be, i'm thinking of soaping up the window and taking a razor blade to see if i can get if off. If you look through the winshield when the sun is at your back glass looks clean as can be. I'm also thinking this might have something to do with waxing as I never washed the vette once last year, just used detail spray and probably wiped off the winshield when I was doing the rest of the car

Ron,

I actually think they may be very miniscule chips in the glass. I have noticed the same thing on all my cars. It's not sap.

My Vette is always kept in a garage and never parked under trees. I rarely if ever wash my Vette and usually always use Quick Detailer and cotton towels to clean the body. I usually always use Clear Vue on the glass/windshield and have never been able to remove the marks.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the old crumpled up newspaper technique??

Rob said:
[ I rarely if ever wash my Vette and usually always use Quick Detailer and cotton towels to clean the body. [/B]

Not to change the subject but can you get away with this year round? I'd like to try this method myself. Doesn't the wax from the Quick Detailer build up?

Lucky

Lucky said:
Not to change the subject but can you get away with this year round? I'd like to try this method myself. Doesn't the wax from the Quick Detailer build up?

Lucky

I've never really had a problem that I've noticed. Anybody else use this method?

I've got an 88 and have washed it 4 times in the 15 months I've had it. Almost always use Quick Detailer spray wax and towel to clean it. Haven't noticed any buildup and it's as shiny as the day it rolled out of Bowling Green.

My brother use to have a detail shop and he always used newspapers to clean the windows. I've followed his example and have never had a problem.

I think I saw another thread where Detailing Dude recommended using a clay bar on your entire car including the windows. Never tried it but maybe he has a solution.

Rob said:
Ron,

I actually think they may be very miniscule chips in the glass. I have noticed the same thing on all my cars. It's not sap.

My Vette is always kept in a garage and never parked under trees. I rarely if ever wash my Vette and usually always use Quick Detailer and cotton towels to clean the body. I usually always use Clear Vue on the glass/windshield and have never been able to remove the marks.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the old crumpled up newspaper technique??

Most of the time I do use the newspaper trick, however the glass does seem to be clean. it's only when the sun is shinning directly ahead. there just seems to be thousands of little marks. If it were rock chips I would think the hood would also has lots of them too and the hood is pretty flawless. I'm going to try soap, water and a razor , like you do before putting tint on and see how that works. it's so bad sometimes you can't even see out though the window

Lucky said:

Lucky

I don't think I washed the car once last summer and used Zaino detailer all the time. I never noticed any build up, you really don't use that much of it and it's not really a wax so there should not be any build up. In fact Zaino says the more you use the harder the coat will be

Good question, Lucky. I happen to employ the same method of a quality quick detail spray and high quality microfiber towels to keep the exterior of my car clean as well. It is a very rare occasion that my car sees an actual bath. You asked whether or not this method could be used year round - to answer that, I say it really depends on where you live and how you use your car. Is your car a daily driver or a garage queen? If you drive it daily, do you live in an area that sees snow/salt/and sand on the roads?

These factors play a role in whether or not this would be an appropriate method for your car. I would not use a QD spray and towels on a daily driver, I'd be more inclined to wash it once per week. I'd also not use this method on a car that is driven in poor weather conditions (rain/snow/dirty roads). It really depends on the car and it's use/exposure. I live in the Northeast, so my car tends to be a garage queen that accumulates only 1,500 miles per year.

As far as the wax "building up" on the car, I will first say that there are 2 different types of QD sprays - those that contain carnauba wax and those that do not. The QD spray that you choose should really be compatible with what you have as a top layer on your car. Are you using a synthetic product? Then you will want a non-carnauba QD spray. Are you applying a paste or liquid carnauba wax on the car? Then you will want a carnauba-based QD spray. As far as the build up issue goes.....it isn't going to happen. First, there is not enough wax in the carnauba sprays to cause any such concern, and second, the moment that you apply a wax to your paint surface it begins to evaporate. Waxes are capable of providing great depth and gloss - but they lack durability. Trust me, you will not experience any "wax build-up" by using this method. And that is coming from someone who loves to wax their car. :)

Lucky said:

Lucky

Re: windshield problems

supernatural400 said:
Not sure whats on my windshield but it looks like hundreds of tiny chip marks when you look through it when the sun is facing you. This seems to have developed on both my cars. I know these are not rock chips and it can't be any kind of sap as both cars are always garaged and never left outside. any idea what this could be, i'm thinking of soaping up the window and taking a razor blade to see if i can get if off. If you look through the winshield when the sun is at your back glass looks clean as can be. I'm also thinking this might have something to do with waxing as I never washed the vette once last year, just used detail spray and probably wiped off the winshield when I was doing the rest of the car

We should start a new string on the Quick Detailer sprays so this thread doesn't get hijacked. On your windshield problem I suggest that you check the surface with a cigarette wrapper to see if there is contamination of your windshield. (if it is on the windshield you could probably hear it when you use your wipers though). If there are tiny rock chips then you would not be able to treat them.

Ron,

My apologies for hijacking your thread. I'll start a new one for my question on Quick Detailing Sprays. Thanks everyone

Lucky

Re: Re: windshield problems

DetailingDude said:
We should start a new string on the Quick Detailer sprays so this thread doesn't get hijacked. On your windshield problem I suggest that you check the surface with a cigarette wrapper to see if there is contamination of your windshield. (if it is on the windshield you could probably hear it when you use your wipers though). If there are tiny rock chips then you would not be able to treat them.

I'll try that, whats weird is that the Z28 is now starting to look like that and it never did before. I think it might have something to do with wiping off the windsheild with the same cloth and detail spray I use on the rest of the car and i use the same procedure on both cars. whats the best windshield cleaner you recommmend ?

Lucky said:
Ron,

My apologies for hijacking your thread. I'll start a new one for my question on Quick Detailing Sprays. Thanks everyone

Lucky

no problem, the more info the better

I got the same problem on mine. I did clay the windows and it did clean them better than any thing else I have ever tried. A couple of observations. One, I tried Zanio window polish. The next time I got caught in the rain, I had white streeky stuff all over my windshield. Two. I tried it on my Lexan roof and it looked like a millon little stars had come out when I looked through it. I'm not impressed. So far, the towel buff after cleaning is working. I have used Rainx in the past and don't remember any problems. I wonder if it would help.Super, you might have little chips, but the first thing I would do is clay the windows. Then:drink

Years ago we had a 67 Firebird with this problem. It turned out (in this case) that it was simply age versus flying sand, dirt particles, etc. The glass simply had to be replaced because it had gotten to the point that it was dangerous to look through when looking at the sun...we couldn't see very well.
Our insurance company at that time replaced it for free because we had glass coverage and they considered it bad enough. They viewed it much like one large rock chip equates thousands of little rock chips.

Good luck,
Safety

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom