Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Windshield and weather stripping

RonzBoyz

Corvette
1985 Black
Other than the obvious, windshield, money and time, what is required when changing a C4 windshield? Parts wise.

The shop, AutoGlas, in Germany, is asking about $2000.00. I checked out the list of stuff and was wondering if I could get myself, if I could get it myself and have them do the install. Their glass and glue and my stripping ect.

Other than the obvious, windshield, money and time, what is required when changing a C4 windshield? Parts wise.

The shop, AutoGlas, in Germany, is asking about $2000.00. I checked out the list of stuff and was wondering if I could get myself, if I could get it myself and have them do the install. Their glass and glue and my stripping ect.

Its been 10 yrs since I had a front glass replaced, but it was no where near $2000....not even close.

Due to a crack that grew right across the driver side, the law would not allow repair. Replacement was the only option.
After making some calls and getting a very wide range of estimates, I found a small shop that wanted $160 to do the job.

Removal was with a tarp spread over the interior, and a sledge hammer. They claimed that was faster than trying to pull the glue-seal out an inch at a time and lift the glass in one piece.

The hard part is keeping that inner seal intact. Thats more expensive than the glass. I think some shops just replace it everytime to assure a good weather seal.
Mine was ok so it was used again.
2 hrs later I'm out the door. and not out a pile of cash.

Other est were as high as $800 in the same area. The bigger the ad in the ph book the higher the estimate.

See what their breakdown of cost is. If they are trying to say they will not do the work without changing the inner seal, because of leaks then find someone else. That seal is not always bad, yet it is VERY expensive. Just another way for a shop to make profits on parts markups. They hold any warranty hostage as a way to twist the customers arm and get them to agree to needless parts replacements.

Inner seal

What is the "inner seal"?

I have a new weather stripping, from left over the top and down the right side door. There are some alu strips on top and the sides too.

The "inner seal", for beauty and dust or mounting function?

So far, roughly
glass $700 "stationed in Germany"
weather stripping $85 WFT D951
Mounting $400
This
That
Stuff
Total $2000

centralcoaster says....

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=29295#forumpost29295

I have no idea why this guy is talking about weatherstrip on A pillar when a windshield is being replaced...
The A pillar weather strip only seals the outter edge of the windshield frame to the door glass and roof panel. It is not related to the front glass itself. That weatherstrip is not actually a part of the front glass seal but I can see why an inexperienced shop would think that they need to replace that when the glass was done. The A pillar weatherstrip is more about the door glass and roof. It is a possible leak path for the front glass, but thats not common. If the weatherstrip is in good shape, there is no need to worry about that effecting the front glass being weather tight.

The front glass sealing system is fairly complicated with seals under the trim sections and the urethane seal that must have a monolithic sealing around the edge of the glass AND have those trim pieces set IN the urethane while its wet. There IS a rubber seal of some sort inside and under the glass. I think that can be seen near the VIN number. I am assuming that is the one seen in the drawings.

I've never done it and don;t plan on ever doing it. Its a LOT of work that can be a problem if not done right. leaks in the dash electronics being the big concern.

Even with everything imported, $2000 seems real high to change a glass. I do not know how they do things in Germany, but here a glass is quoted installed, not "plus mounting" like a tire. Perhaps thats the normal way of doing things in auto repair in Germany.

I have no idea why this guy is talking about weatherstrip on A pillar when a windshield is being replaced...
The A pillar weather strip only seals the outter edge of the windshield frame to the door glass and roof panel. It is not related to the front glass itself. That weatherstrip is not actually a part of the front glass seal but I can see why an inexperienced shop would think that they need to replace that when the glass was done. The A pillar weatherstrip is more about the door glass and roof. It is a possible leak path for the front glass, but thats not common. If the weatherstrip is in good shape, there is no need to worry about that effecting the front glass being weather tight.

The front glass sealing system is fairly complicated with seals under the trim sections and the urethane seal that must have a monolithic sealing around the edge of the glass AND have those trim pieces set IN the urethane while its wet. There IS a rubber seal of some sort inside and under the glass. I think that can be seen near the VIN number. I am assuming that is the one seen in the drawings.

I've never done it and don;t plan on ever doing it. Its a LOT of work that can be a problem if not done right. leaks in the dash electronics being the big concern.

Even with everything imported, $2000 seems real high to change a glass. I do not know how they do things in Germany, but here a glass is quoted installed, not "plus mounting" like a tire. Perhaps thats the normal way of doing things in auto repair in Germany.

Because when they replace a windshield. They usually pull the A pillar weatherstripping, retainers, and windshield trim. Usually the A pillar weatherstripping gets trashed in removal. It is fairly common to have to replace the A pillar weatherstripping when replacing the windshield on a C4.

Because when they replace a windshield. They usually pull the A pillar weatherstripping, retainers, and windshield trim. Usually the A pillar weatherstripping gets trashed in removal. It is fairly common to have to replace the A pillar weatherstripping when replacing the windshield on a C4.

I just replaced my A pillar weather strip and it had nothing to do with the windshield. Trying to pull the weather strip gaurentees that it will be broken. I can see how it could get damaged if someone used a screwdriver or maybe a back-hoe to remove the trim around the glass.

The windshield trim is right there at the edge, but I don't know why anyone would remove the weather strip to pull or install the windshield trim. I suspect that it's "busy work" for a shop.

When my windshield was replaced they did not pull the weatherstrip. They also did not damage the weatherstrip. Come to think of it.....the urethane was why they removed the glass with a sledge hammer. No way it was coming out in one piece...Glued in place.

The FSM shows the A pillar weather strip as part of the cabin seals, but not as part of the windshield. The rear glass does rest on the weatherstrip, where the front does not.

Perhaps its the original factory seal that the shop was refering to...Possibly comes out and gets discarded with the factory glass and replaced with all urethane?. I know that urethane is lots faster and cheaper to apply from a chaulking gun. They were very careful to keep a single unbroken bead around the mounting area.
All I remember was that the seal that they were concerned with was inside, and in my case did not need to be replaced. My glass has never leaked.
I know most cars have a model specific seal that used to be tricky to install. Thats where the term "pulling the string" originated. A string was laid in the seal channel with the end sticking out somewhere. When the glass was set in the seal, the soft rubber edges then had to be folded out and around the glass edge to make the seal. Pulling the string carefully around the glass did this without damage to the seal or the glass. This type of seal is not used on C-4s as far as I know.

RonzBoyz,

Everything that I read in the FSM and from my personal experience tells me that you don;t need lots of "parts" for a windshield change. There may be some collateral damage to trim, but basically a glass, some urethane sealant and the correct tools is all thats required.

I just replaced my A pillar weather strip and it had nothing to do with the windshield. Trying to pull the weather strip gaurentees that it will be broken. I can see how it could get damaged if someone used a screwdriver or maybe a back-hoe to remove the trim around the glass.

The windshield trim is right there at the edge, but I don't know why anyone would remove the weather strip to pull or install the windshield trim. I suspect that it's "busy work" for a shop.

When my windshield was replaced they did not pull the weatherstrip. They also did not damage the weatherstrip. Come to think of it.....the urethane was why they removed the glass with a sledge hammer. No way it was coming out in one piece...Glued in place.

The FSM shows the A pillar weather strip as part of the cabin seals, but not as part of the windshield. The rear glass does rest on the weatherstrip, where the front does not.

Perhaps its the original factory seal that the shop was refering to...Possibly comes out and gets discarded with the factory glass and replaced with all urethane?. I know that urethane is lots faster and cheaper to apply from a chaulking gun. They were very careful to keep a single unbroken bead around the mounting area.
All I remember was that the seal that they were concerned with was inside, and in my case did not need to be replaced. My glass has never leaked.
I know most cars have a model specific seal that used to be tricky to install. Thats where the term "pulling the string" originated. A string was laid in the seal channel with the end sticking out somewhere. When the glass was set in the seal, the soft rubber edges then had to be folded out and around the glass edge to make the seal. Pulling the string carefully around the glass did this without damage to the seal or the glass. This type of seal is not used on C-4s as far as I know.

RonzBoyz,

Everything that I read in the FSM and from my personal experience tells me that you don;t need lots of "parts" for a windshield change. There may be some collateral damage to trim, but basically a glass, some urethane sealant and the correct tools is all thats required.

In order to remove the windshield trim, you have to remove the retainers and weatherstripping. That is generally how it is done.

Though, I have read once or twice where someone just pushed the trim back some to pull the windshield out. But generally shops pull all the trim, etc. off the windshield when they pull it and install it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom