Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Windshield wipers gone nuts

pasvorto

Yesterday I took the Vette out for a drive in the country. Had a lovely drive for hours. No problems. This morning, when I satrt it up to go to work, the wipers came on. I only got them to stop by turning it off. I started again and headed for work. Long story short...I had to stop 3 times and shut it off because the wipers would "just come on by themselves".

I assume it must be an electrical problem. Any ideas where to start? I've never had that happen on a car before.

Guess what? Drove it home, then drove it to Cruise night, then back home. Wipers never came on once! Go figure...

i have a 78 and to the best of my knowledge there is no wiper override switch. i believe what is being referred to is the cavuum override (similar to the headlight door vacuum override on your car) that was on earlier corvettes with the vacuum operated wipe door (pre-73 for sure).

my best guess is that you have a short somewhere that is activating the wiper motor from time to time. the problem is that getting to the wiper switch is a bear (you need to carefully remove the screws holding the dash on the driver's side and pull that section of the pad "open" to gain access to the wiper switch and the light switch. if your car is equipped with delay wipers, there is a relay that controls that function in the right side storage compartment area behind the seats. it might be a bad one, or a frayed or damaged wire there. all are just guesses on my part. of course it might be a bad wiper switch too.

steve

Who knows? I have owned it for a few years and it has only done it one trip. We'll see if it gets less 'random'.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom