Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wing installation

Timbalero

Corvette
1995 Burgundy Coupe
I have a wing that I want to put on my car on the back. However I don't want to drill holes in the body of the car. Does anyone knows another way to install it.? Maybe some kind of epoxy or contact cement strong enough that I can use in case that if I want to take the wing off I don't have holes on the car? Thank you for any help

Hi Timbalero. I am absolutely no expert, but I would think that any adhesive strong enough to do the job would be almost impossible to remove without extensive damage. If you went to a body shop, I would expect that the effort to fill in a couple of holes and repaint would be the lesser of two evils than trying adhesives.

Bob

I second that

I wouldn't put a wing on my car (just my personal opinion!! :D ) but if you use some sort of adhesive, the paint would have to be either scuffed up or completely removed for an adhesive to work properly. A smooth surface will not allow the adhesive to "grab" to anything.

If the surface was not roughed up and the adhesive would pull away, there is a good chance that the adhesive may either pull off some paint or the initial chemical reaction of the adhesive with the paint may ruin the finish.

So my suggestion is to a) either not add a wing at all, or b) have a body shop install it so that it will not come off. Most wings (the Greenwood wing for example) are installed with mechanical fasteners.

Drill......no other way around it.

First off, what type of wing are you talking about? My Greenwood wing has two metal braces under the wing on each side that extend all the way down and bolts to the chasis. I guess they do it so the wing cannot flex. At least I know its for a little more than cosmetics, and may actually serve a purpose.

Change my mind

After a lot of thought I decided not to install the wing on my vette . I placed for auction on Ebay so if anyone interested go to ebay. com abd check it out. I am looking to sell it for only $200.00 when Corvette America sell it for $369.00.Thank you for all your advise .

Timbalero said:
After a lot of thought I decided not to install the wing on my vette . I placed for auction on Ebay so if anyone interested go to ebay. com abd check it out. I am looking to sell it for only $200.00 when Corvette America sell it for $369.00.Thank you for all your advise .
Good decision! The C4 looks great as it is in my opinion. If the wing was a mod that would add to the cars handling or enhance it's road gripping characteristics then I would consider it. The C4's stock technlogy isn't bad!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom