Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Winter project - cooling system upgrades

• Thread starter Thread starter jon81
  • Start date Start date
J

jon81

Hi all;

Got a few winter upgrade projects planned and the first one is the cooling system. When it's really hot outside the car tends to get too warm for my tastes with the A/C running in stop and go traffic. I've ordered a couple goodies to fix this once and for all.

The radiator is original and nothing has ever been done to it except occasional flush/refill. I've ordered a Griffin Pro series radiator and the dual 11' SPAL fan kit with 180 degree thermostat from Tom Dewitt which should be in this week. I got a chance to meet Tom at Carlisle last summer and he seems to be a straight shooter. The radiator is a direct fit with no mods required. The water pump is original so I bought a Stewart Series 2 aluminum water pump and 180 degree Robert Shaw thermostat a couple of weeks ago. If it works half a good as it looks it should be a winner.

I can't imagine that I'll have any chance of overheating with this upgrade.

I'm going to get a couple of my buddies from the vette club to come over on New Years day for a wrenching party to get it all installed. The original radiator, fans, shroud, etc. will get put in storage in the event I ever sell the car and the new owner wants to put it back to original.

Some of you saw my 81 at the Sharkfest this year and know I've tried to keep the car original, but this upgrade will help the car run better and hopefully last longer. Plus I'm thinking about pulling the original motor next winter and dropping in a 383 which will need the extra cooling power. Of course I'll store the original motor in the event of an eventual sale.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom