Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Winter storage questions

CeeFive

Corvette
2008 VR ZO6
I want to get my C5 off the concrete floor for the winter months. I live in a coastal area where there is a slim, but real possibility of water getting in the garage in the event of a really serious storm. It has happened before.(About 3 inches during a Northeaster with extreme high tide) I don't want to keep it on stands for all that time, so I am wondering about the possibility of buying two more Rhino ramps and storing it elevated on the four Rhino ramps.I could drive it on to the ramps, then jack the rear and place the other two under the tires. Can the ramps take the weight for several months and is it a good idea or not? I also thought about using a couple of 2x10's with a rubber pad which would probably work too. What would you do? Any better ideas? Thanks:confused

don't know the answer to most of your questions, but i can tell you that it's possible to jack the rear onto rhino ramps. i do it all the time since i don't like trying to back the car onto them.:beer

Those ramps will be fine, there built to handle around 12,000 lbs. if I recall whats stamped on mine. Sounds like a good idea to get it high enough just in case.

Why not just use jack stands. Put a 2x4 between the stands and the car. The problem I have with your location is the presence of water. Put a ground sheet or drop cloth under the car to limit the amount of moisture being radiated up into your car. Put a dececant in the interior to keep it dry. Also put moth balls in the engine compartment. Finally, put paper towels in the exhaust.

Not sure about the ramps. In theory, this should work, but I believe there is a lip on the edge of the ramp (have to go look at mine in the garage) and this will deform your tires to a weird shape for several months. You may just want to stack some cut up 2X12's to get the height you need. Three high would be enough for 4.5 inches.

singledad_9 said:
Why not just use jack stands.

I've heard that relieving the pressure from the shock absorbers for a long period of time can cause them to fail. With the cold winter months, I doubt that flat-spotting would occur. I'd just get a couple of 2x12's from the lumber store, and drive the car onto that. When winter is over, throw the wood into the bbq or fireplace.

leaftye said:
I've heard that relieving the pressure from the shock absorbers for a long period of time can cause them to fail. With the cold winter months, I doubt that flat-spotting would occur.

While, I'll agree that flat spotting of this generation of tires is hardly an issue. This is the third year of me putting the car up on stands, with no problem. If there ever was, there are better shocks out there. Also, this allows me to change the gas filter and clean the underneath of the car.

Also, it still looks really cool even though I can't drive it.

You can get the Rhino Ramps 8000 lb version at Pep Boys for under $20.00. Unless you get scraps at the lumber yard, 12 board feet of 2x12s will cost you at least half that or more and then you will have to cut them up. The Rhinos will last forever and probably lighter too.

JMHO.

Yes, but look at the lip on the edge of the Rhinos, it is right under the side wall of the tire. I wouldn't want to store my car on those for an extended period of time.

vettenuts said:
Yes, but look at the lip on the edge of the Rhinos, it is right under the side wall of the tire. I wouldn't want to store my car on those for an extended period of time.

You may be right indeed, at least with my rear tires. I don't know if the front tires would be a problem. However, the lip is hardly 3/8" tall and could easily be dealt with, IF it was determined to be crimping the sidewall.

Maybe a sheet of plywood cut to size, but I think something should be done to keep the edge of the tires from resting on this lip for that long a period of time.

vettenuts said:
Maybe a sheet of plywood cut to size, but I think something should be done to keep the edge of the tires from resting on this lip for that long a period of time.

Agreed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom