Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Winter storage

iamfine2

Corvette
I ask every year to get your opinions.
My 1981, I have a warm, insulated garage.
Do I just Stabil the gas, plug up the exhaust and let her sit. Or go out every couple weeks and start it up?

Minnesota winters.

Mike

I'm sure everyone does something different but I like to get mine up to operating temperature and drive it for thirty minutes to burn off the condensation inside the motor. I also use stabil in the fuel tank. When she's not in motion she is covered up inside my garage.

The best solution is store it at Conway self storage Orlando_Orlando is one of the cheapest airports to fly into .Take a few long weekends during the winter and drive it.It's my advice and it's what I do .:D

OK, you fly your 03 vette to Orlando to be stored for the winter?

My dad used to store his 56 thunderbird. He would start it and let it run briefly. He told me he went through an exhaust system because it would leave condensation in the tubing if you dont get it hot enough. He told me to pick good days, no salt, snow or rain and take it out to dinner every now and then to let it warm up. He has had it since 1984 so I know its a ford but its sounds like there is some truth to that.

I have a heated garage and still use stabil, try to take it out at least once a week for a 30 minute ride and get it up to normal temps. If you can't drive it at least step on the brakes a few times to keep the seals wet, then drtive it the next time the weather is good. PG.

My dad used to store his 56 thunderbird. He would start it and let it run briefly. He told me he went through an exhaust system because it would leave condensation in the tubing if you dont get it hot enough.

Your dad learned the hard way. There's no justification for starting the engine unless you're going to actually drive the car. It drains the battery, fills everything with condensation, and puts yet one more start cycle on an engine. Why do it?

Is it okay to just leave the tires on the ground or should they be jacked up. I normally just leave them and in spring work out the flat spots. Once mine goes to bed in the fall she doesn't wake up until spring. I use fuel stabilizer in full tank of gas. drive for 30 mins, take out the battery, plug exhaust pipe and cover her up. Just wondering what everone else does for the tires.

When I use to store mine in the cold counrty ,I used a double layer on carpet under each tire.
My corvette area had wood floors which help and the garage was heated to 55 degrees .

I drove it till sand and salt hit the roads and got it out as soon as the roads we're clear.

I never started it during the winter months.

People think winter is forever ,it's not.

O.K. I know it gets cold here in Canada and I've been told I go way over board but.......... I jack up the car,put it on jack stands, remove the tires and store them on a stand. I also remove each spark plug add about 1/2 an ounce of oil to each cylinder, crank, and put plugs back, add stablizer to gas then drain all gas till engine dies. 2 layers of carpet on floor under car in a semi-heated ( 35-45 degree) garage. Covered with car cover and blankets from November to April.Ya alot of work and probably way over kill but never had a problem yet!!

Ya alot of work and probably way over kill but never had a problem yet!!

You get an unqualified "A" for effort, but leaving it up on jackstands for six months will put more stress on your front upper and lower control arm bushings and your trailing arm and strut rod bushings than 20,000 miles of driving.

:beer

Our winters in New Mexico metropolitan area are not as harsh as many of yours ( Santa Fe gets more snow than Albuquerque due to the 2,000' higher altitude in SFe), but I always take the Vette out for a drive if the sun is out. I just make sure to wait a few days after it has snowed to ensure the roads are clear. We don't use salt. We use the common iron-rich soil found in these areas to spread upon the road. In all, I time the drive for every two weeks as much as possible. I do use stabil in the Vette, for one may never know if Spring has returned but oneself has not (like ill or in the hospital :ugh).

GerryLP:cool

Here is my story...

I have an 81 (original owner) with only 24,000 km. Due to family reasons it had been sleeping in my garage (not heated) for the last 5 years. It just sat as is under a cover, without ever starting it...

This summer I finally got to it. I drained the gas out, changed the oil/filter, spark plugs and got a new battery . I unpluged the pink wire from the coil going onto the distributor and ran the starter several time (6-7 time) for no more than 10 secondes each time until the oil gauge was flickering. I then waited for about 15 min for the oil to wet everything, pluged the pink wire back on the distributor and she started within half a turn. Got a bit of white smoke for a few minutes then back to normal. I added air in the tires, checked a few things then went for a ride. It now runs just like I left it several years ago.

May not be the best way but it worked for me... :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom