Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wiper blade goes off driver side windshield

JohnnyC

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe - LT4
My driver side windshield wiper tends to wipe off the outer edge of the windshield. So much, 1/2 the blade it has gotten stuck on the frame and i've had to lower the window and give it a little nudge. Not fun when its raining. During the same trip this is not all the time, some times it is fine and wipes to the normal ~2 inches edge of the windshield, then it goes off the windshield.

In addition, the wiper blades do not go down as far as they used to upon shutting off. they used to hide well under the hood and you could not see them. Now, they are still visible from driver seat.

Is there a stop or something i can adjust?

My driver side windshield wiper tends to wipe off the outer edge of the windshield. So much, 1/2 the blade it has gotten stuck on the frame and i've had to lower the window and give it a little nudge. Not fun when its raining. During the same trip this is not all the time, some times it is fine and wipes to the normal ~2 inches edge of the windshield, then it goes off the windshield.

In addition, the wiper blades do not go down as far as they used to upon shutting off. they used to hide well under the hood and you could not see them. Now, they are still visible from driver seat.

Is there a stop or something i can adjust?

First start with a good inspection, make sure you don't have a lot of play in the linkages including the wiper motor bushings were it mounts. Once that is done there is a small access door in the Left side vent screen at the bottom of Windshield, remove the little door.

Turn on the wipers, Turn the key off when wipers are mid windshield. thru the little door look in give the wipers a little push pull make sure it's not sliding on the Adjuster. if it is not use a 10mm 1/4" drive short socket (swivel Extension If possible) make your adjustment as needed.

It is a bit of a test and adjust tweak until your happy.

NOW HERE IS THE WARNING YOU ARE WORKING NEXT TO EDGE OF WINDSHIELD BEWARE OF YOUR TOOLS, you don't want to nick or chip the edge of windshield it might not crack today but it could tomorrow.

First start with a good inspection, make sure you don't have a lot of play in the linkages including the wiper motor bushings were it mounts. Once that is done there is a small access door in the Left side vent screen at the bottom of Windshield, remove the little door.

Turn on the wipers, Turn the key off when wipers are mid windshield. thru the little door look in give the wipers a little push pull make sure it's not sliding on the Adjuster. if it is not use a 10mm 1/4" drive short socket (swivel Extension If possible) make your adjustment as needed.

It is a bit of a test and adjust tweak until your happy.

NOW HERE IS THE WARNING YOU ARE WORKING NEXT TO EDGE OF WINDSHIELD BEWARE OF YOUR TOOLS, you don't want to nick or chip the edge of windshield it might not crack today but it could tomorrow.

Good information.

Also make sure that both of the wiper arms are tight and positioned properly on the tapered wiper arm pivot, sometimes the nuts holding the arms onto the pivot shaft come loose and the wiper blade arm can rotate out of phase on the pivot. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom