Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Wiper issue - 1998 Triple Black Convertible

Capt.Harry

Corvette
1998 Triple Black, Convert.
WHAT'S UP WITH MY WIPERS........Spooky Actions??
Recently HAND WASHING the crazy wipers go half on ,stop about 3" from the normal "parking postion", even go on and off at anytime?

Replaced the Wiper Motor Assembly Unit from GM for $295.00!!

I have cleaned the drain "utters" removed the battery box, blew out connections at bottom of steering column spray coated with "wire dry" etc.....NOW WHAT!!!!!!

Bump

I came across your post while doing a search for wiper issues on my own '98.

My wipers have stopped working too, but not after washing; although we've had a tremendous amount of rain lately so it could be water related.

I first noticed it when I cranked my car and the wipers popped up a couple of inches. I turned them on to cycle them and allow them to reseat themselves, but nothing - nada. I turned off the ignition, pulled the key for 10 seconds, then recranked and tried them again. Still nothing.

I haven't checked the udders lately but my Vette doesn't sit near any trees so I don't see how they could have gotten full since the last time Kevin cleaned them out. As a precaution, I'll have him clean them again tomorrow when I take Cinnamon Girl to him.

BTW... Welcome to the CAC!
I'm going to edit the thread title to include wipers, increasing the likelihood it will show up during a thread search.

:wJane Ann

Update:

Replaced the module - but not the motor - and everything returned to normal for the drive home and the drive to work the following morning.

Then when I started her up to drive home from work, they came on by themselves and nothing I did had any effect on them.

It took a few days until I had a day off to return to the shop. In the meantime, I called Kevin to let him know I was coming. He ordered a new module in the likelihood the first was faulty so that it was waiting for me today.

They dismantled everything, cleaned all the connections, and I showed the mechanic how to clean the udders... the one beneath the area where the motor rests WAS full of gunk! Kevin said they refilled with "silicon" which I know nothing about and wasn't there to see because I had an appointment... then they re-assembled, replaced with the NEW module and spent the rest of the afternoon switching them on and off to see if it would repeat. They killed the engine and recranked several times but the wipers performed fine and (for now at least) there are no more issues.

Moral of the story - KEEP THOSE UDDERS CLEAN!!

wiper problems

Can someone please tell me where the udders are I am having a lot of issues with my wipers too. Someone suggested putting on a new switch I have ordered one just waiting to get time to have someone put it on Thanks

udders

Like the other couple I was raised on a farm but never heard of a car with udders. Thank you so much for the pictures I am really impressed with this site you can ask something and there is always someone that knows about what you are talking about. I wish I could have more input on this site but I grew up in the 70's where you could actually open the hood and see everything you needed to work on. Awhole lot easier in those days. Thanks Again

1998 corvette sold

Thank you so much for the information. I sold that 98 put 2 wiper motors on that didn't work so I sold it like it was and let someone else fix it. I bought a 98 white just like it with less than 24,000 miles on it, hadn't been rained on but twice when I purchased it. I purchased it about 3 months ago I have already spent 566.00 dollars on it locked motor in the sterring column went bad got it fixed now the traction control light comes on a reduced power comes on the display I am kinda getting disgusted haven't got it fixed yet took it to advance auto the light wasn't on so they couldn't tell what was wrong I guess another trip to the shop. I am glad I don't depend on it to drive to work. I don't know about these cars I have had a corvette since in the 80's I believe the older ones where more dependable, too many things to go wrong on the newer ones. I'll will have to start me a corvette fund just to keep my car running.:happyanim:

................. I'll will have to start me a corvette fund just to keep my car running.:happyanim:
And post more inquiries in the C5 section. We've got some very talented and knowledgeable members, techs and mechanics that are more than happy to help troubleshoot issues and bat around suggestions for fixes. I know they've helped me out of many a jam; after all, our 98's are 13 years old now.

We WANT you to enjoy your Vette and we'll do everything we can to help you in that direction! :thumb

98 vette

98 corvette 23,000.jpgThank you so much I have had a lot of help on this site . I came on this site just as soon as this problem arose and also about the steering column lock. This is a great site I do like this 98 I think it hadn't been drove very much I am the third owner the previous owner didn't put but about 19,000 thousand miles in the past 12 years. :w

View attachment 4610Thank you so much I have had a lot of help on this site . I came on this site just as soon as this problem arose and also about the steering column lock. This is a great site I do like this 98 I think it hadn't been drove very much I am the third owner the previous owner didn't put but about 19,000 thousand miles in the past 12 years. :w
Well then - it's your DUTY to make up for lost time! Get out there and drive that baby, man! :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom