Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wiper Motor Test

Indyhac

Corvette
1974 Mille Miglia Red Coupe
The '74 Corvette that I recently purchased has windshield wipers that don't work. Who can tell me how to test the motor? The seller told me that a place checked the motor and it's supposed to be O.K. but I'd like to test it before moving on to see if there is power to the switch. If there is power at the switch and the motor tests Good, then I think that the switch would be the next thing to suspect. I have not taken the motor out yet so I don't know how many wires are going into the motor. I would think that if I knew which wire is the power and which one is ground, then I could just hook a wire from the positive post on a 12v battery to the power wire on the motor and a wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the ground wire, the motor should spin if it's good. Any help on testing the motor is appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

Wilcox test paper and YouTube link.

Wilcox test paper link.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/1969-1972-corvette-windshield-wiper-motor-wire-schematic-69-72-with-test.pdf

Wilcox YouTube link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fnjr9T7cao

Last edited:
:happyanim:Frank,
Wow, I can't believe that I got all of this information free! This is great. Thank you so much! This is exactly why I hooked up with this forum. So glad that I found it.

Scott Jones:thumb

:happyanim:Frank,
Wow, I can't believe that I got all of this information free! This is great. Thank you so much! This is exactly why I hooked up with this forum. So glad that I found it.

Scott Jones:thumb

Wilcox has a bunch of great stuff. Look around their site a bit. You will be surprised on what you find there. This forum also has a wreath of knowledge, so ask away.

Frank

Windshield Wiper Motor

Mine is a '74 so I had to find the Willcox test instructions for that year. I found out that '68-'72 is different than mine. My motor failed the test, Drove to Willcox and got a rebuilt motor and some other parts, Nice folks there. Rebuilt motor installed and wipers working. I have to figure out how to adjust the arms because the one on the driver's side goes too far and goes over the moulding.
Scott:happyanim:

Wiper Moyor Test

:confusedSince I'm new to the Corvette scene, I haven't become familiar with many of the acronyms connected to the cars and this site. So can someone help me out with what AIM stands for?

Thanks, Scott;help

:confusedSince I'm new to the Corvette scene, I haven't become familiar with many of the acronyms connected to the cars and this site. So can someone help me out with what AIM stands for?

Thanks, Scott;help

assembly manual. You can buy them on paper or CD versions. All of the Corvette parts suppliers have them. They are very valuable when you need a visual.

Last edited:
:happyanim:Thanks Frank,
I didn't figure that out until I got your reply. It turns out that I have that manual; the seller gave it to me. I thought that all the manual had was illustrations that showed the assembly workers where to route wires and hoses and clamps. I didn't realize that there were some instructions contained there also. I didn't see any reference to the wipers but leafed through the manual until I found them on page 103.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom