Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wiper problem

tsdelray

Corvette
1984 Two Tone Silver
My car has been in storage for 8 months. now my wipers only go up about 2 inches. is this the motor or the control in the door?

My 86 has a wiper problem also, I believe you have the same setup as I do,
do you have the slider with the pull down to mist? well, these older cars have
issues with oxidation in the connections, the "logic" from the slider plugs into
two accessible connectors on the wiper motor and one not so accesible, pulling them off and cleaning them with contact cleaner, the switch in the
door is hard to get at, but spray the cleaner down into the switch and move
it back and forth a few times, give it another spray and exercise it again.
If that doesnt work the shop manual has a pretty good test routine to trouble shoot the citcuit, you need a Digital multi-meter, you should have a meter if you own one of these cars!
Tom R

My 86 has a wiper problem also, I believe you have the same setup as I do,
do you have the slider with the pull down to mist? well, these older cars have
issues with oxidation in the connections, the "logic" from the slider plugs into
two accessible connectors on the wiper motor and one not so accesible, pulling them off and cleaning them with contact cleaner, the switch in the
door is hard to get at, but spray the cleaner down into the switch and move
it back and forth a few times, give it another spray and exercise it again.
If that doesnt work the shop manual has a pretty good test routine to trouble shoot the citcuit, you need a Digital multi-meter, you should have a meter if you own one of these cars!
Tom R

...i just did this repair yesterday. i removed the armrest (snaps in on my 88) removed the associated screws for the black door handle trim insert, and removed that......very carefully removed the connector from the switch and removed the 2 bolts/screws that hold the wiper switch to the trim piece......i took the switch apart by gently prying the plastic tabs away from the body of the switch..***be carefull nothing falls loose***........i took some cleaner on a rag/q-tip and cleaned the contact tracks as well as the contacts in the switch, then, using a VERY FINE SANDPAPER, lightly sanded the contacts and track surfaces and put the switch back together....all i found was a bit of grease and very little dirt but, that was enough to mess up the works...good luck....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom