Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! With a C5 radio/cd problem

navy2kcoupe

Corvette
2000 Navy Blue Coupe A4 Z51
The CD player in my 2000 coupe has started skipping. Has anyone replaced the radio/CD combo (no CD changer) in a C5 with NO, or just minor, problems? I'm reading horror stories about the Bose amps, and mis-matched signals, and so on, and was wondering if anyone has gone thru the replacement and what was done to provide a no problems install that looks and sounds good. Has anyone opted to have their stock radio/CD repaired? Where did you get it done, and were you satisfied with the work. I don't use the radio or CD player a lot, but I would REALLY like to have them work correctly when I do use them! Thanks for any help and information that you can provide.......pix of the install would be appreciated........
Andy :w

I bought a radio from e-bay. Just plug and play. I payed $30 because it was locked, just fallowed the directions.
If you don,t have the code this is the procedure it works like a charm, used it myself. Turn th ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
2. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 for six seconds.
3. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don't take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.
4. Press the AM/FM button
5. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.
6. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from Step 3 and the last three digits are from Step 5.
7. Call 1 800 537 5140.
8. Press 1 then # (pound). You'll hear "Invalid Code, try again".
9. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by *.
10 Enter the number from Step 6 then * (Star)
11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice.
12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from Step 11
14 Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC.

Good info, Zagger. Thanks for the write-up.

So after Step #14, the unlock is complete and everything works?

:wJane Ann

Before you buy one,Try This!!! I get cars here with skipping CD Players all the time!!! This Bad Boy has always fixed me right up!!!!:upthumbs

attachment.php

Not to dispute the CD lens cleaner, I'm just curious. The tape cleaner physically cleaned and chemically demagnetized the head, how does a CD clean the lens when there is no physical contact with the lens? I've never tried one of these because it made no sense to me;shrug, hope we have a light (laser) engineer among us that could in laymen terms tell me how these work. Thanks, Zig.

Before you buy one,Try This!!! I get cars here with skipping CD Players all the time!!! This Bad Boy has always fixed me right up!!!!:upthumbs

attachment.php

OK Junk........I've got nothin' to lose at this point.
Where do I find one of these bad boys?

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work in a CD changer also?
None at all,I use it in CD Changers,CD Head Units,DVD Players, and CD Drive (D:) and DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:) on my Computer!!:beer

Not to dispute the CD lens cleaner, I'm just curious. The tape cleaner physically cleaned and chemically demagnetized the head, how does a CD clean the lens when there is no physical contact with the lens? I've never tried one of these because it made no sense to me;shrug, hope we have a light (laser) engineer among us that could in laymen terms tell me how these work. Thanks, Zig.
I'm No Laser engineer,but I did Sleep in a Shack last night with 6 Cats and a Big Black Dog!!:boogie:boogie:boogie
It has a Special Coated Synthetic Brush on the Disk!! (Read Below) :D:D:D

OK Junk........I've got nothin' to lose at this point.
Where do I find one of these bad boys?
I bought this one at Wal Mart about 4 years ago for $12.99!!It's probly getting about time to get a new one,but it's still working good!!;shrugI know it's sure Saved allot of units from finding the Dumpster!!:upthumbs

attachment.php
attachment.php

PS If the unit has never been cleaned you may have to run it through 2-3 times!!:beer:beer

Thanks Junk, never knew there was a brush. It makes sense now.

None at all,I use it in CD Changers,CD Head Units,DVD Players, and CD Drive (D:) and DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:) on my Computer!!:beer

I'm No Laser engineer,but I did Sleep in a Shack last night with 6 Cats and a Big Black Dog!!:boogie:boogie:boogie
It has a Special Coated Synthetic Brush on the Disk!! (Read Below) :D:D:D

I bought this one at Wal Mart about 4 years ago for $12.99!!It's probly getting about time to get a new one,but it's still working good!!;shrugI know it's sure Saved allot of units from finding the Dumpster!!:upthumbs

attachment.php
attachment.php

PS If the unit has never been cleaned you may have to run it through 2-3 times!!:beer:beer
SWEET! That's one more thing to get before my next trip to Florida.

You can buy the CD disc cleaner at Best Buy or any electronics store. I even think Radio Shack sells them.:D

Got one at Wal-Mart yesterday (a JVC brand), and used it on the CD/MP3 player in my Crown Vic, and it seems to have fixed that one :). It had a problem where it would intermittently skip on the higher numbered (towards the outside of the CD) tracks only. It now plays completely through some of the CD's that previously had a problem. I suspect that the others will play correctly when I get around to trying them. THANKS :upthumbs Junk! You ARE "Da Man". I would never have tried one of these without a recommendation from someone that had experience with them.

I have one that I used successfully in a household unit. It worked fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom