Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wobble

Corvette
2001 MilleniumYellow Rag Top
;shrugOK I have a question for y'all. I have installed a VaraRam air intake and a FAST intake manifold only on my C-5 (2001) MY rocket, since doing so I have noticed when I accelerate from 0 to 60 and beyond and at my shifting point at around 6000 rpm I get a twist and a wobble going from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd I don't much look at the speed I am going. Now, the car has I think the F1 suspension it is called, and it is really a beautiful riding car at any speed. I have ordered the Z06 Sway Bars, and the insulated 1/4" tunnel brace. Should I change the shocks also?:confused Scott:beer

Very difficult to tell what it's doing based on your description. What's wobbling? The shift lever?

Kevin

;shrugOK I have a question for y'all. I have installed a VaraRam air intake and a FAST intake manifold only on my C-5 (2001) MY rocket, since doing so I have noticed when I accelerate from 0 to 60 and beyond and at my shifting point at around 6000 rpm I get a twist and a wobble going from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd I don't much look at the speed I am going. Now, the car has I think the F1 suspension it is called, and it is really a beautiful riding car at any speed. I have ordered the Z06 Sway Bars, and the insulated 1/4" tunnel brace. Should I change the shocks also?:confused Scott:beer
I would have the Alignment done!! By your description I'd say it has some Torque Steer!! Can you get the same feeling cruzn about 65 and run over a expansion joint on a bridge??:upthumbs

I would have the Alignment done!! By your description I'd say it has some Torque Steer!! Can you get the same feeling cruzn about 65 and run over a expansion joint on a bridge??:upthumbs

I think you may have it right, because the car feels like it starting to slide to the left when I hit 2nd gear hard, and I have to pull to the right and I feel a wobble in the car, and I get the same thing when I dump it in to 3rd. Now, I back off the accelerator and hit the clutch at the same time, and then I floor it again, and I will get rubber and the front end will rise up on me in 2nd and 3rd both, and when I go to 4th I am around 105 mph and that is a smooth transition. I will have an Alignment done, but do you think the Z sway bars (front and back). and the new tunnel brace will do the trick, or should I replace the shocks also? BTW I have brand new Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires all around, 19 inch front and 20 inch rear and these were on before I modified the intakes, and I don't remember having this happening before the mod. As to the running over a bridge expansion joint I don't recall having having that, but some of them you hit pretty hard at interstate speed. Thanks Junkie for giving me a reply on this:upthumbs:):beer

Very difficult to tell what it's doing based on your description. What's wobbling? The shift lever?

Kevin

You know, I never paid much attention to this, but I do believe the shift lever is moving. I will pay attention to this and see what is going on. Thanks Kevin and I will let you guys know what I find out. :upthumbs:):beer

Scott, does it feel like the rear is sliding to the side even though you are not breaking the rubber loose?

If so you might look at the shocks. My RR shock is softer than the LR and I have the same sort of strange feeling on hard shifts.

A soft shock very well could cause it!!The Z bars will make it more stable in the curves,but you won't notice anything except maybe slight more road vibration on the straits!!
:upthumbs

How many miles are on the car??;shrug

Scott, does it feel like the rear is sliding to the side even though you are not breaking the rubber loose?

If so you might look at the shocks. My RR shock is softer than the LR and I have the same sort of strange feeling on hard shifts.

:wOmgosh, you nailed it, that's exactly what it feels like. Where would one best go to have shocks checked out? The local Chevy dealer or like Michelin or Goodyear where they sell and install them?

A soft shock very well could cause it!!The Z bars will make it more stable in the curves,but you won't notice anything except maybe slight more road vibration on the straits!!
:upthumbs

How many miles are on the car??;shrug

:w41k, and it looks like it just come out of the showroom, the woman who owned it must have taken really good care of it. You and C5y2k have come up with the same solution, so I should get this checked out. Thanks guys I hope both of you can make the next TOD run this spring:upthumbs:beer

What a great topic to discuss- I noticed you did two major bolt on upgrades and that undoubtadly added some additional hp and torque! Great move and I dare say soem of what you are experiencing is attributable to that! Corvette Junkie explained the soft shock and with 41k on your ride it wouldn't hurt to do a shock upgrade! Now I did not notice if you had the F45 suspension option or not but..if you do then I would not advise changing anything! If you have the base or Z51 consider the 2004 Z06 shocks as they add some additional handling but.. you will notice a stiffer ride.

:beer:beer:beer

What a great topic to discuss- I noticed you did two major bolt on upgrades and that undoubtedly added some additional hp and torque! Great move and I dare say some of what you are experiencing is attributable to that! Corvette Junkie explained the soft shock and with 41k on your ride it wouldn't hurt to do a shock upgrade! Now I did not notice if you had the F45 suspension option or not but..if you do then I would not advise changing anything! If you have the base or Z51 consider the 2004 Z06 shocks as they add some additional handling but.. you will notice a stiffer ride.

:beer:beer:beer

:welcomeHey welcome to the club Rick, and thanks for your input on this subject. This is the way the forum works, you put a problem out there, and you will get a answer from them. There is no such thing as a stupid question, as you can see I was having trouble explaining mine, and someone pops up with a similar problem, and they explain it better than you do. And do we have some really world class technicians that can get you out of any problem? You betcha. I know you will like it here. :upthumbs:beer:beer:beer

Scott, I did a visual inspection on mine and noticed it leaking oil. I have the F45 adjustable suspension so I found a used set of F45 shocks to replace it with. Not the best solution but it was a LOT less expensive than the $400 bucks for one new shock. Besides I figure it will get me down the road until I'm ready to put the Bilstein sport shocks on.

Scott, I did a visual inspection on mine and noticed it leaking oil. I have the F45 adjustable suspension so I found a used set of F45 shocks to replace it with. Not the best solution but it was a LOT less expensive than the $400 bucks for one new shock. Besides I figure it will get me down the road until I'm ready to put the Bilstein sport shocks on.

Wow, that's big bucks for one shock. Is it because of the Selective Real-Time Damping with the F45 suspension? Mine is the FE1 base suspension, and they have the FR Shock as C, and the RR Shock as E on the build sheet for my car. Does anyone know what that means other that a soft shock? I am going to change the sway bar to the Z06, and replace the tunnel support with a 1/4" insulated one. Mid America has Bilstein Z51 Gas Shock for $300 a set (4), and Corvette Garage has Bilstein Sport Shocks C-5 -Z06 for $350 a set (4). Are these the same shock? Good idea about checking for leaks, I am going to have my under the Vette inspector give it a go. Thanks for the information, Cheers:upthumbs:beer:beer
Note inspector at work below!!

attachment.php

Wow, that's big bucks for one shock. Is it because of the Selective Real-Time Damping with the F45 suspension? Mine is the FE1 base suspension, and they have the FR Shock as C, and the RR Shock as E on the build sheet for my car. Does anyone know what that means other that a soft shock? I am going to change the sway bar to the Z06, and replace the tunnel support with a 1/4" insulated one. Mid America has Bilstein Z51 Gas Shock for $300 a set (4), and Corvette Garage has Bilstein Sport Shocks C-5 -Z06 for $350 a set (4).
Rain, bought 4 FE4 Z06 I think at a dealership some where on special for less than $250.!! PM him!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom