Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Won't start!

awalla

Corvette
2002 Electron Blue Coupe
Cut right to the chase... turn the key and click - nothing else. Replaced the battery thinking it dropped a cell. Original battery was charged very close to 100% and tested at 13.2v. Removed from the charger and after a shower (me not the battery) voltage showed 11.7.

New battery installed and same thing. I suspect the negative connection to the battery itself and will check that out at my next opportunity. But should I be losing so much with the voltage reading after 24 hours of sitting? I can duplicate the same voltage readings, 13.2v and then 11's after 24 hours. Interior lights are shutting off after shutting the doors.

History codes are typical for an electrical or battery issue:
C1214
U1064
About a month ago I got TCS and ABS warnings on first start but after 5 mins of driving and a shutdown and restart the warnings were gone. I suppose I shouldn't have ignored that.

Are there common ground points to check as well?

Hi Awalla,
Regarding the battery issue your having. I had a 97 Tahoe that did the same thing. Have the alternator checked out. That was the problem I was having.

Good luck and I hope it's something simple to fix.

Chris

Amazing what you can do when you can take your time to do it right... I wasn't paying attention to how the negative battery cable was mating to the battery. Got a bit of the rubber between the cable and side post and that doesn't work too well.

The car will sit in the garage a few days while this storm passes through so I'll get a chance to see if anything is draining the battery more than normal.

One of the guys at AutoZone told me about a man who returned a new battery saying it was totally dead: He had managed to drive his cables on without removing the plastic insulators from the top posts! After that, nothing I do seems quite so bad.

Well, after a few days the car won't start again. If I pull the neg cable off the battery and charge the battery, she'll start right up. If I charge the battery while still connected to the car, no dice.

Would I be correct in taking the alternator to a shop to check? I remember having to replace an alternator in another car because the diode gave out. I'm not sure if the Vette is setup the same way.

Wasn't there a problem with C5's having this kinda problem because battery acid was eating the wires away under the battery tray? U may wanna look at this.

:beer

MoeJr said:
Wasn't there a problem with C5's having this kinda problem because battery acid was eating the wires away under the battery tray? U may wanna look at this.

Everything is clean around the battery tray. The old battery was very clean and I just put a new battery in a little over a week ago.

FYI, the shop confirmed it is the starter that went bad. I don't remember seeing any TSBs or hearing that this is common for the C5. While its in, I asked them to change the trans fluid and filter... total bill for parts and labor is $506.

Hmmm sounds like mine...its going in the shop tomorrow.

Well shop says no more than a normal draw .2 on the car sitting...
I tightened the battery connections prior to going, hope that was it...

I however have a feeling that the problem will return...

Yep its back...

Click Click Click...:ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom