Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wood dash kits

Booie

Corvette
1979 Dark Green L-48 Coupe
:bashAnyone ever buy and install a wood dash kit in a C3. first let me say when I bought the car it had a wood dash kit installed but it was worn and it cracked when i installed a new stereo. I recently purchased a kit from corvette central and it had to be shipped from the manufacturer it came quite quickly.but when i went to install it it seems it is cut quite a bit oversized and the center console switches don't line up correctly in the holes. Called Corvette central and they will contact the manufacturer to send a new one out. Has anyone bought this and had the same trouble or is there a better kit. Thanks for now Bruce :w :beer

Hiya Bruce! :w I'm going to move your thread to the C3 forum because it will probably not receive enough exposure in the New Member forum. :thumb

Jane Ann

Bruce- I had always wondered if fit and finish issues would be a problem with a wood kit.

Hope the new kit works out better. If not, a Dremel might help.

Wood dash panel

Hi Bruce,

I got one a long time ago, can't remember from whom, but it might of been from Mid-America but it fit perfectly over my 79's dash and the only thing I had to do, Was using an exato-knife was to cut out the two places where the power window spots were on the console. Had it on there for about ten years or more. For a very plastic'y car, it really changed the interior look.

Bruce,

I purchased one from Mid-America a year or so ago and have been very happy with it. I'll admit it wasn't exactly what I expected at first, but it looks nice installed. The kit is VERY thin with a high gloss finish and almost doesn't look like real wood, but the grain is nice and finish seems durable. Installation went pretty well. The key is cleaning the surface first and test fitting all the pieces prior to gluing on. I installed the speedo/tach, gauge, and console pieces in about an hour total. The fit was pretty good although is was just a hair off on one edge for the console. You can purchase them now with any combination of the cutouts pre-cut. One important note: These things DO NOT slide into place. When you stick it down, it better be where you want it, so when test fitting, find a good reference point to start with and make sure you use it again when gluing in to ensure you have the same fit. The piece for the ashtray needed to be trimmed slightly due to clearance issues while opening and closing. I had to shave the edge off on the botton side for smooth operation. If I did this right, there should be a link to a photo of my interior from another thread.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...um/113772-interior-whats-yours-look-like.html

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom