Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

wood dash

S

scotts84

I would like to order a 5 piece wood dash from ecklers and I see that they have a cheaper version of the kits that they call "woodlike" for around 100.00 instead of 250.00 or so for the real wood. Has anybody had any experience with the cheaper version? Thanks , Scott

Be wary of anything 'cheaper'. Contact Eckler's and ask them just what they mean by "wood-like", as in, what material would "wood-like" consist of-plastic, some blend of plastic/rubber/poly-something. Good luck. But I suggest you hold off on purchasing the cheap wannabe until you know more about it.

I would like to order a 5 piece wood dash from ecklers and I see that they have a cheaper version of the kits that they call "woodlike" for around 100.00 instead of 250.00 or so for the real wood. Has anybody had any experience with the cheaper version? Thanks , Scott

Like Wood or Like Woodie..Hmm. Real Wood or Real Woodie? :L

I haven't seen either of the kits you are talking about, but, my guess is the "wood-like" stuff is a plastic/vinyl material that has some appearance of wood. As a woodworking teacher/custom cabinet builder, I personally think that $100 for real wood sounds pretty outrageous. But given the choice, I'd go with the real wood. I don't know what kind of wood they use but that would affect the price.

Thanks for all your replies, The woodie reply was good I have to admit. Anyway The only real Wood kits I could find is through zips and it is rosewood veneer or burlwood veneer. It was around 300.00 with shipping. I have not recived it yet but when I do I will let you Know how it looks.

Thanks for all your replies, The woodie reply was good I have to admit. Anyway The only real Wood kits I could find is through zips and it is rosewood veneer or burlwood veneer. It was around 300.00 with shipping. I have not recived it yet but when I do I will let you Know how it looks.

Huh. I'm not much into that sort of thing. But- a veneer in wood looks better than a veneer in plastic

Well, if I were to go with wood... I'd want to go with having a custom piece that started with a block of wood and replaces the entire plastic piece. That would take some $$$ though- but if done right (and right is the only way to do it!)... it would look really nice.

Rosewood is beautiful, probably black to a dark purplish to reddish. The burl will probably be lighter in color, as it most likely be an elm wood. I can only assume that it is pre-finished with some sort of catalyzed varnish or epoxy type finish. Can't wait to see it done.

before you destroy your oem interior pieces with adhesives to hold fake wood trim on, spend a few evenings in a ''real'' furniture store and learn what ''real'' wood looks and feels (''gut'' feeling, not fingers) like.

nothing looks more tacky than ''photo- imitation'' wood...prolly why the factory didn't put it in vettes to start with...sad to see a vette with walmart interior.

among other hobbies, i make a lot of sawdust and a little furniture from some nice, naturally occuring, cellulose fiber (wood)...amazing how many folks, who have little technical knowledge, can pick up on genuine wood --fake plastic wood only fools those who have never learned to enjoy the real thing...many, like myself, even dislike the appearance of ''polyurethane'' plastic finishes that destroy the ''warmth'' of wood, vs ''oil'' finish...phony wood and cheap verneers won't impress.

Hey there

I was just curious to know what modifications you have done to your '84.. Do you still have the Cross-fire under the hood and if you do, what power add-on do you have ( i have experience some stalling w/ my '84.... it stalls and sputters and dies it will start right up, I'm troubled to know what is causing this ... I have changed the plugs / wires and i have put in a new 180 degree stat

c4_sig.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom