Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Worth of 68 BB 4spd Rdstr w/ non-orig engine???

hzl6cm

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Convert., '04 Z06
I am going to look at a 68 roadster with a 427 and a 4-speed. From asking with the guy, the car has had basically a frame on restoration, stripped and painted the original LeMans Blue with most of the trim either replaced or re-plated, except for the front bumper which shows some hazing. Has a new black top, no side pipes, new tires on rally wheels. Original interior was blue but has been replaced with a nice black leather interior which was not restored. All of the instruments were rebuilt and work. No power brakes, steering or windows. The car was an original 427 car and has the proper transmission (4-speed), differential, etc. (I don't know what 427 it had). When the guy got it the engine had been replaced with a 327 which they removed a replaced with a rebuilt 427 from a mid 60s Corvette. Supposably all of the accessories (water pump, alternator, etc.) were replace with new or rebuilt Corvette parts. The intake manifold is the correct one but the carburetor is an aftermarket one. Supposably everything works and it runs and drives great. What do you think that it might be worth? If it was all original with a 390 hp engine I would say maybe $40k. But with a non-original engine and interior I don't know what that does to the price - maybe $16k - $20k? I would guess that if I got it for 16 that would be pretty good but I really don't know so opinions are welcome! Thanks.

Kevin

I went to the auction yesterday where this car was for sale (not a car auction - just a local auction in the small town (Odessa, MO) near where I live. The highest bid was $22,000, the seller said their reserve was $30,000 (I think it may have started at $32,500 then they dropped it) - the auctioneer tried to get the bidding to $25,000 and then negotiate with the seller but nobody would bid. They then said they would leave the bidding open for an hpur and see if anybody wanted to go higher. I left at that point so I don't know if anything changed. I was standing by the high bidder and he didn't want to go any higher. The car looked sharp and fired right up and sounded great! This car would make somebody a good driver, without paying the silly prices of a numbers matching big block car, that would look great at local shows and cruise nights. About the only thing somebody would have to do is change out the plug wires (it had new wires but they have strait plug boots that were lying on the headers) to angled boot wires and move the fule line where it comes up from the pump to the carb since it was also lying on the header - cleary the car hadn't been driven much since being put together. If anybody is interested, you can contact the owner directly their phone number is 816-262-8177. Since my wife would have killed me if I got it, I would have only got it if the deal was too good to resist - say $16,000!

Kevin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom