Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Would you invest in this 2018 Z06?

TitaniumMan

Corvette
2004 Machine Silver Z06
Gentlemen -- I know it's been awhile between posts. I won't bore you with 'why'. Anyway, I JUST tumbled over a 2018 Z06, yes, an '18 -- with the serial number ending in 000002. And it's black wine -- maybe the last C7s in that paint color. It has a 2LZ trim with Kalahari leather, carbon flash package, and stock everything else. MSRP with destination is $91,430. I haven't started haggling yet and thought it wise to consult the forum on the investment potential of this Vette before I (potentially) wasted everyone's time.

Beyond the fact that I'm not crazy about C7s (the other "woman" in my life is an '04 Z06), I hesitate to pull the trigger because:
1. I'm not sure if the serial number is that big of a deal.
2. I assume that Corvette has fixed the "limp mode" heating problems on the '17 Z06s, but wonder if this issue will put 'shade' on the value over time.
3. The dealer has a reputation for selling "unique" Corvettes (and they certainly see this Z06 as special) at MSRP; if that would be the case, 'flipping' the car in a couple of years and expecting even a modest gain seems unrealistic.
4. If the rumored mid-engine C8 is introduced any time soon (1 to 3 years), I would expect that across the board, the value of C7s will plummet; thus, I would have to hang on to the car for 10 to 15 years to realize any significant profit; I'm 67, so 15 years is a looong time!
5. Given that fact, we all know that there are many better ways of investing $100k.

So, given the above and I'm sure many more reasons pro and con YOU see, should I buy this '18 Z06? Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Last edited:
I guess I lost my mind for a minute there...

Ok, I've 'sobered-up'. Vettes are mass-produced cars meant to be DRIVEN, and a terrible "investment" regardless of a 000,002 serial number. And key-rist, I'm 67! Besides, as I said (apparently only to myself), I don't even like the looks of C7's (but great respect for their technology). If you're interested in this Z06, post to that effect and I'll give you the information for contact.

Thanks to all for NOT WRITING ;LOL :rotfl

Investment

Ok, I've 'sobered-up'. Vettes are mass-produced cars meant to be DRIVEN, and a terrible "investment" regardless of a 000,002 serial number. And key-rist, I'm 67! Besides, as I said (apparently only to myself), I don't even like the looks of C7's (but great respect for their technology). If you're interested in this Z06, post to that effect and I'll give you the information for contact.

If I had 15-20 years and the bucks to buy one and out it away for 20 I would but at 69 (me) 20 would be a stretch and I could take 100K and have a big time.

corvette addict

As an investment you made the right decision, even in 10-15 years it will still be just a used car no matter the mileage.

Exactly...

If I had 15-20 years and the bucks to buy one and out it away for 20 I would but at 69 (me) 20 would be a stretch and I could take 100K and have a big time.

corvette addict

Thanks for writing (anyway) corvette addict. That in essence is my point. I guess if you have all the necessary resources (e.g., SPACE & $$$), and you are a 30 - 40 something, collecting -- or flipping -- apparently can be very rewarding. I simply got in the game too late (mortgages, college tuition, etc.). I'll be just fine enjoying my pristine '14 CTS-V and my slightly beat-up '04 Z06 track toy. BUT...I plan to take a look it it anyway Friday this week -- if it's still around. What the hell, right? LOL...

Like my signature says...

As an investment you made the right decision, even in 10-15 years it will still be just a used car no matter the mileage.

Thanks for your thoughts LLC5. I think you're dead on, and given my respect for your industry experience, I respect your opinion that much more. Of course you're right -- it would always be a used car whose value subject to market forces. With the C8 on the horizon, who really knows what a special low-serial number C7 would be worth in 2032 or 2037? Hmmm...scary numbers, eh? ;LOL

Holding On

Thanks for writing (anyway) corvette addict. That in essence is my point. I guess if you have all the necessary resources (e.g., SPACE & $$$), and you are a 30 - 40 something, collecting -- or flipping -- apparently can be very rewarding. I simply got in the game too late (mortgages, college tuition, etc.). I'll be just fine enjoying my pristine '14 CTS-V and my slightly beat-up '04 Z06 track toy. BUT...I plan to take a look it it anyway Friday this week -- if it's still around. What the hell, right? LOL...

As for it will always be a used car not if you put it away not use it. Every collectible is used some more than 2 owners. I saw where they had made 75,000 C7s so far but I bet there aren't too many Z06s being stashed away. I don't see how many of us are going to be able to buy the super Corvette at who knows 150,000 plus.
corvette addict

The C8 will be a Cadillac anyway...

As for it will always be a used car not if you put it away not use it. Every collectible is used some more than 2 owners. I saw where they had made 75,000 C7s so far but I bet there aren't too many Z06s being stashed away. I don't see how many of us are going to be able to buy the super Corvette at who knows 150,000 plus.
corvette addict

We've all read the rumors that the successor to the C7 (Z06 equivalent/superior performance) will wear a Cadillac badge. When you consider that Corvettes have traditionally been a famous "performance bargain", and they certainly are, at the end of the day that is directly tied to their mass production. 2017 Z06s are pushing with just a few options, six figures now. And the 'run' for C7s is only five model years at this point (2014,2015,2016,2017, and 2018) -- waay short compared to all other Corvette generations -- to be discontinued just from a business investment perspective. You can offer 'performance bargains' if you make hundreds of thousands of them. There were nearly a quarter of a million C5s produced, and 215+ C6s. No wonder 10 to 15 year old Vettes are so cheap (my '04 Z06 purchased 3 years ago with 22k miles in excellent condition/never raced cost me $23k, and was over $54k new -- I have all the documentation). Ok -- I'm rambling. Time to close this.

The "Zora" must join the '700 club' if it is to be competitive these days. It has to have an increase in being "hand built" beyond the hype of LT3 Vettes. The XLR WAS a disaster, but left a gaping hole in Caddie's line -- and a clear choice above the CTS-V. A mid-engined, luxury appointed, two seat 700+ HP beast makes perfect sense for Cadillac's "Dare Greatly" campaign. THAT car could compete with Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. -- maybe even McLaren. Just my .02...

95% of cars out there are nothing more than depreciating assets.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom