Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Would you trade a C4 for a 67 Firebird Convertible?

dannimo

Corvette
1985 Red Coupe
I have the opportunity to trade my C4 (excellent condition), for a '67 Firebird Convertible. :eek:hnoes The Firebird is a driver and in very good shape (not excellent, but darn close).

I love my C4 (and it has sentimental value), but one of my favorite cars ever since I was a kid was a Firebird convertible.

The C4 is immaculate and all original, even down to the original owners manual. Red, with charcol leather, 4+3, etc. The Firebird body is in extremely good shape, has been painted (original color), pretty good paint job, does not have the original motor (has a 72 or 73 350 in it), manual transmission.

I told the guy I would give him $18,000 (should have said $15,000- as I think he would take it- because he said, "I'll sell it for $15,000, and I said, "Hell, I'll pay $18000" ;shrug. I'd had a few bourbons). I'm not always the best at haggling....

We went over and looked at my car, and he flipped over it. I joked I would trade him even, and he wanted to do the deal on the spot (he'd had too many beers). Then I told him I would throw in my TR-6 (just kidding- but it did cross my mind!)

I'm wondering if any of these cars are going to be worth anything in the future (as I might have to sell it to help pay for college in 5 to 10 years).:mad I'm also wondering which one will be worth more.

So, do you guys (and gals) think I'm crazy :W for entertaining such an idea? Any thoughts on which will appreciate the most? Other than not drinking and making deals, any advice?:confused

I think I'd do it. There are many more c4's than 67 conv. Firebirds. 85's are ok but the newer the c4, the better the car got, so if you change your mind later, sell the firebird and get a newer c4, or even a c5.

I would have to think the 67 convert would appreciate more than the c4.

neither car is worth $18k... nor $15k for that matter ( opinions vary of course )

I agree with you. I think they are getting close to that amount though. Since the '67 doesn't have the original engine, does that kill it's value?

I think I'd do it. There are many more c4's than 67 conv. Firebirds. 85's are ok but the newer the c4, the better the car got, so if you change your mind later, sell the firebird and get a newer c4, or even a c5.

Thanks, I'm really tempted. My dad was the original owner of the c4, so I know how well it has been maintained.

There are always little annoying things going wrong with the c4, do you think the '67 would be more reliable?

No, I think your c4 would more than likely be more reliable. The rag top 67 Firebird has that pizzazz factor. The C4, IMHO, is too common.

If you want pizzazz and a fun little toy, go 67 firebird.

If you want well maintained (original condition?!?) go C4 but 65 is not a hugely desireable year. They fixed the 84 problems and went with the new engine.

I'd like the Firebird to tinker with as a toy. But as a daily driver, C4 is it.

Good Luck!

i had a 68, 400 4 speed..it was pretty big fun, but i dont think its as much fun as my 92 C4..

for the money its the firebird so you can sell it and buy another corvette...
hey...if you have to question something, it usually means NO.

I have the opportunity to trade my C4 (excellent condition), for a '67 Firebird Convertible. :eek:hnoes The Firebird is a driver and in very good shape (not excellent, but darn close)...

As the token Pontiac guy... :chuckle

I'd pass and NOT trade your C4 for a 1st gen Fbody. Your Vette has an emotional bond. The Firebird is just a nice car.

Now, if you could have both...:thumb

BTW--- Dan- If I can ever got out of the house- I still owe you this book...:)
Book-Corvette-Fuel-Injectio.jpg

Doesn't sound bad, if the firebird is as nice as it sounds and you pass on the deal,you may not find another as nice, it would be easy to tinker with.
Or you could get your buddy drunk again, tell him the 'bird and 5 grand for the 'vette.

if the firebird is not falling apart and is rust free i wouldnt think twice about trading my 79 for it.

I'd pass and NOT trade your C4 for a 1st gen Fbody. Your Vette has an emotional bond. The Firebird is just a nice car.

Now, if you could have both...:thumb

BTW--- Dan- If I can ever got out of the house- I still owe you this book...:)
Book-Corvette-Fuel-Injectio.jpg

I got such a good deal on the 'vette, I might be able to talk the wife into letting me buy it "for her";) ! If you are still interested checking out why my car won't start let me know! I've been putting off towing it to the garage.

No, I think your c4 would more than likely be more reliable. The rag top 67 Firebird has that pizzazz factor. The C4, IMHO, is too common.

If you want pizzazz and a fun little toy, go 67 firebird.

If you want well maintained (original condition?!?) go C4 but 65 is not a hugely desireable year. They fixed the 84 problems and went with the new engine.

I'd like the Firebird to tinker with as a toy. But as a daily driver, C4 is it.

Good Luck!

I am not very mechanically adept. I think I would find working on the Firebird less intimidating than working on the Corvette. The 'vette scares me. I have done little stuff with my '73 Chevy, but I am afraid to do much more than open the lid on the 'vette. Also, I am finding this car is less than reliable (new water pump a few weeks ago, and now it won't start- I think I know why, but have yet to take her in and have it fixed.) Plus, it's on it's third clutch, slave, master etc. since 2007.

I think you're right.

I think you're right too
:beer
Doesn't sound bad, if the firebird is as nice as it sounds and you pass on the deal,you may not find another as nice, it would be easy to tinker with.
Or you could get your buddy drunk again, tell him the 'bird and 5 grand for the 'vette.

I think you're right too

if the firebird is not falling apart and is rust free i wouldnt think twice about trading my 79 for it.

hmm... agreed :W

neither car is worth $18k... nor $15k for that matter ( opinions vary of course )

maybe so, but it's still a tough decision.

i had a 68, 400 4 speed..it was pretty big fun, but i dont think its as much fun as my 92 C4..

for the money its the firebird so you can sell it and buy another corvette...
hey...if you have to question something, it usually means NO.

Dang! You're right too! :hb

Go to N.A.D.A. Home Page and look at classic cars to get an idea of value of the Firebird. This will help you make up your mind.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

That just might work. 10 years ago I bought a BMW off a friend of his. We were a grand apart. I called him up to dicker and could tell he was good and buzzed. So I went over there and told him, "we're only a thousand dollars apart. If you throw in your truck for which you said was worth $1500, we got a deal. He threw the truck in! :boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom