Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wow, love carfax.com

Gorgon

Corvette
None
Wandering through the adds at autotrader.com and have found two 95 convertibles that look like they have odometer rollbacks. The report doesn't show it yet, but it will when these cars are purchased and registered. One is listed as having 1100 miles and was last reported with 73k in '99 with a failed emissions inspection. And the next, my favorite, a 95 convertible with only 1 mile on it selling for $99k (not sure what they are smoking) that was last registered with over 27k miles in '98. Do these dealers research their vehicles before selling? Does carfax have mistakes in their data?

An Old Saying

If it sounds too good to be true. .. It probably is!!

I think that I'd trust Carfax long before I'd trust some used car dealership!!

Caveat Emptor!!!

Keep looking.. or start bargaining!!

The 1-mile/$99k car is just one where the owner didn't have/want to list mileage and didn't care to list a price. I've seen that often on there and classifieds2000.com. I think also AutoTrader has an affiliation with eBay and price doesn't always get shown for auction units.
[RICHR]

I thought that might have been the case for the Autotrader listing. The high price would guarantee that the car would be at the top of the list. But they put the same information on their web site as well. Was almost thinking of calling them to see if they tried to maintain that info.

the 1100 mile car may have been 110k miles? maybe just a typo... Carfax isn't always correct either, so watch out there as well

The 1100 miles is also maintained by the dealer web site and the $34k asking price for a 95 is high for a 110k mile car. ;)

34k is definitely high! it looks like my theory is wrong... oh yeah, just so you know, autotrader.com is linked to many dealer web sites so the information almost always matches on dealer web sites.... Basically if it is wrong, it will be wrong in both places! just keep it in mind... Keep looking all over the internet too... I found my vette on a small internet for sale site... I managed to pick it up for way less than I should have

Yup, and I second your point about carfax not always being accurate. It's a useful tool, but it's not perfect. You can't be too careful buying a used vette, though.

Gorgon,
A couple of years back (before the stock market crashed!) I was looking for either a late model Corvette convertible or a
ZR-1. I was shocked at the number of Corvettes that did not show a clean car using Carfax. At least two of the private owners I contacted about the information were able to get it corrected. Dealers usually argued (of course!) that the information was flawed. Maybe in was in some cases but every case that I personally checked out appeared to be valid. Even if the information is mistaken, for whatever reason, it's better that the current owner get it straightened out the for you to have to do it.

From what I experienced I would not buy any car without running a carfax on it first. Even if it is not 100% accurate, it's better then what you have without it. :)

Happy motoring!.........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom