Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wrong wheels?

Likely the calloway 17"add-on because that IS an 87 car that came with 16".

The wheels are 88-89 only. Check my signature. 87's were different and the 90's are somewhat like the 88-89 only the center cap is recessed.

Looks like a nice care however.

Ron
"Baldie88"

The wheels are 88-89 only. Check my signature. 87's were different and the 90's are somewhat like the 88-89 only the center cap is recessed.

Looks like a nice care however.

Ron
"Baldie88"
iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

the side louvers/vents, dash trim, 3rd brake lite, door panels, seats, and marker lites are 87.
No idea why its got 17" 88 rims, but thats a 1987 chassis. I'd Bet the left one on that ! All of these things are model yr specific.
87 was the last yr of 16" small blade Enkie rims with 87 having a silver center and 85/86 being black ring, silver center cap 86. 84 was a solid black center cap & ring in lug recess. 88 then went to 17" and the 6 spoke jaged edge rim. 91 or 92 got the round big saw blades that stayed for several yrs.

The 90 wheels have no center caps over the lugs just a plastic cap over the hub, the wheel is polished and finished in the recess for the lugs. The lug nuts have screw on caps.

At least they have left and right wheels on the car looks like they are even mounted in on the correct side.

Glenn
:w

It's definently a 1987 Corvette. The factory wheels in 87 were the 16" Enkei with the center and inside fins painted argent gray.

16" wheels, while cutting edge when the Corvette's rolled out in 1984, have become a liability when it comes to finding proper performance tires today. Even Goodyear, who worked closely with GM fitting those 16" gatorbacks to the Corvette, eventually stopped making a 255/50/16 tire. So many 84-87 owners have upgraded to 17" wheels from 88 models onward to keep the car somewhat traditional.

That said, its a great Callaway twin turbo from back when the Callaway conversion's bodywork was somewhat subtle on the C4's lines. Those twin NACA ducts on the hood definently are a great balance of form and function that McLellan and Palmer would approve of in keeping with the spirit of their work.

The guy probably had some sweet 19 or 20 inch wheels, took them off to sell the car and the 17" 89 wheels were all he could find for the sale. ;shrug
I'll be taking my 19" maya's off my 89 when i sell it soon. I'll be putting on any 89 or up wheel just for the sale.

87 was the last yr of 16" small blade Enkie rims with 87 having a silver center and 85/86 being black ring, silver center cap 86. 84 was a solid black center cap & ring in lug recess. 88 then went to 17" and the 6 spoke jaged edge rim. 91 or 92 got the round big saw blades that stayed for several yrs.

SORTA correct :chuckle
86 centers were a brushed silver and 87 were grey. I have seen cars delivered early in the model year still using the previous year wheels. (My friend's brand new 87 with 86 wheels.)

Also the 88 had totally different 16" standard rims but most opted for the 17" anyway and few were delivered with the 16" so they were discontinued. Truly a shame! I never liked the 17" 88+ rims
:w

.... Those twin NACA ducts on the hood definently are a great balance of form and function that McLellan and Palmer would approve of in keeping with the spirit of their work.

I'd certainly hope so since I recall reading THEY put them there to begin with in their original design...GM removed them.:w

I never liked the 17" 88+ rims

I liked them better than the earlier wheels, even my chrome '87. Especially the '88 whites, and the '90 11" rears...

OK, I agree with the 88-89 wheel scenario as far as run-of-the-mill production C4s are concerned. But weren't many of the Calloway's outfitted with Dymags?? If you can find them, a set of those is like finding sunken treasure!! In my mind, this diminishes the value of this example.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom