Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WTB: 4+3 trans

autopat

Corvette
1984 Black 4+3
I need a good 4+3 trans, I actually only need the O.D. unit, but would take a good complete trans. Mine just started the slipping in reverse thing.

Pat

TRANS

Same here. Mine started a couple thousand mlies ago. I need the od also.

No longer looking. Found a complete unit with lees than 40k for $500.00. Been sitting in a garage, so I will do the seals and gaskets beofre I install.

Still no luck here, found a rebuild kit, but still not sure if the trans is even salvagable.

Same here. Mine started a couple thousand mlies ago. I need the od also.

when the overdrive goes bad you can still drive it? Im paranoid about mine, to the point of turning off the radio to listen and see if i hear any bearing noises, as of right now its perfect..Im told that if the bearing is going bad it will be a noticeable sound in directmode but dissapear when you shift into OD.. i hear something if i listen carefully, but when I hit the OD button it gets slower but doesnt go away? Is this is sign of my main carrier bearing or is it in my head? Has anyone had the carrier bearing go bad? i kno this is a parts thread but im curious and my paranoia is driving me crazy

Mine has gotten so bad I can no longer drive the car, but it's not the carrier bearing (I don't think), mine is the forward direct drive clutches.

Pat

what is it doing? and how long did it take to progress to the point that you cannot drive it?

Mine was going out when I bought it. I have put 4k on it and can still drive it. When I back up I get a "whirring" sound, like a bearing noise. It slips in reverse after it gets hot. I don't know how long it has been this way, but the guy I got it from said it had been that way for a while.
I have read somewhere that the unit may seize up if driven long enough. There were pics on Ebay of a trans that broke the od unit.

Did u swap in the new trans yet? I also get a sound in reverse but its the winding sound that i hear in all stick shift cars, it also does not slip in reverse (knock on wood lol) but how do u tell the differance between the whirring sound and the normal reverse winding sound??

Any honest automatic transmission shop worth their salt should be able to rebuild the OD unit. The problem is finding an HONEST a/t shop. You will have to ask around.

Don't except one that gives some really chincy warranty. That is likely to be the shop that will just twist the steels and put it back together. If they do that it will start slipping again in short order.

I have one from an 88' with only 14K miles original on it. I have full documentation if need be.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom