Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(WTB) callaway wheels

With the 1988 cars, Dymags (17x9.5 all four corners) became standard.

B2K cars triggered the SEO Z5G for big brakes, long dam, and sport exhaust. Suspension options were not mandatory for the package and in the case of 1989, if you ordered a convertible, you could not get the Z51 package or FX3 - CAFE restrictions, dictated that move from Chevy. In the 1990 model year, Susp. opts. were back on the board for Verts and coupes alike. :beer

With the 1988 cars, Dymags (17x9.5 all four corners) became standard.
Also on the base Corvette, 4 same-sized wheels became standard so it was no longer an issue (though some cars in '88 did have those unusual 16" rims, but I *think* they were all the same width). Different suspension options didn't mean different wheel sizes, at least not again until like '92 or '93 when the car went to staggered tire sizes, something like 245/45 up front and 285/40 in the rear if I recall right?

Thanks for the info about the '87 B2K and the suspension choices still being options. I never knew that. I remember seeing an '87 B2K at the Carlisle auction maybe around 2001. It was exactly like my '87 I had at the time, dark red metallic with the grey leather interior. Except it was more immaculate than my car, and had two NACA ducts in the hood hinting at the difference between it and my car. :beer

Ned, I have a line on some 16" dymags. If you want I can send you the info.

callaway wheels

Ned, corrrect as the way it was built, would be an 87 stock rim, or a 16" Dymag.

Unfortunately, when it comes to judging, what dealers did - no matter how attractive, may not pass the muster of the judging manuals :confused

Here are pics of each. :cool

1987 Callaway 16" Dymags:

87b.JPG

1987 Stock Wheel, as used on Callaway Corvettes (Standard rim):

Thanks for the great information. MY CALLAWAY is #35 early came from Molcolm Konner Chevrolet with the BBS wheels. So being early 16in would be correct? alot of appearence difference between the 16 and 17in callaway wheel. Thanks alot for your expertise Ned

Both of those pictured above are 16in. wheels. One of my 87's came from MK with the 16in. BBS wheels also, like yours. The other 87 came with the 16in. Dymags pictured above.

DO you know if the early callaways with 16in dymags wheels were all painted and what colors? Thanks again Ned

I want to say Ive seen one set of gray/silver, but Im not sure they came from Dymag that way.

I want to say Ive seen one set of gray/silver, but Im not sure they came from Dymag that way.

I agree - the cars I have seen that look to be original, all had the dark 16" Dymags like in the pic. of the yellow car posted earlier.

I saw a car last summer w/ painted silver 16" Dymags and while they looked sharp, I know the car, and know the wheels were dark - at least they were before the car went through the auction ;shrug

Thanks guys you have been a great help. One more question, is the center cap a 1988? Called callaway and that is whay they said. Thanks Ned

Thanks guys you have been a great help. One more question, is the center cap a 1988? Called callaway and that is whay they said. Thanks Ned

They do not use the 17" (heavy) center caps - maybe an 88 centercap from a 16" base rim??

RedB2Ks may have more on this ;shrug

attachment.php

The 88 17 inch wheels used factory 88 "heavy" center caps. The 87 16 inch wheels used factory 87 center caps. The 87 center caps do not fit very good as seen in the picture. The 88 is a much better quality fit. All dymags used factory caps with nothing changed from Callaway.

Thanks for the info 89x2. I have a 87 #35 total original car including tires and wheels, mileage 1498 documented. The car was sold from Malcom Konner NJ chevrolet, on his Callaways he would put the BBS 16in wheels on them before selling to the new owner. I am going to take it for NCRS judging soon, What would be correct? Would you leave it the way it was sold from the dealer or change to the 87 corvette wheel or dymag. Thanks for your response. Ned

Ned, 16" Corvette aluminum wheels came on #87-035 originally.

For NCRS and Bloomington Gold standards, all things aside, your car should be shown with those wheels to truly be "correct" as typical factory production.

I hope this helps :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom