Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

X-Pipe vs. Resonator

boulderlt4

X-Pipe vs. Resonator

What are the key benefits of running one vs. the other?

Who has what and why?

I searched for previous threads and couldn't find anything...sorry if this has already been discussed!

BTW, I am currently running the B&B 3" cat back with the resonator.

Good Question Hope you get some replys. Getting ready to order my BBs. Hows your weather out there. I lived in Louisville one block off S Boulder rd For Five Years kind of miss it Good Luck. If you find out anything on x pipe please post

Ken

Hey KEN2258 I live in Lumberton just up the road, I had the local muffler shop remove my resonator and custom make an x-pipe for me. Only charged an additonal 50 bucks.

I have an X pipe on my 3' B&B exhaust. We will be installing the resinator in place of the X pipe soon. On a 3" B&B system the resonance is not worth the few H/P lost. Now on a 2 1/2 or other exhaust system the resonance may be different.

Your's and other opinion's may vary.

KEN2258 said:
Good Question Hope you get some replys. Getting ready to order my BBs. Hows your weather out there. I lived in Louisville one block off S Boulder rd For Five Years kind of miss it Good Luck. If you find out anything on x pipe please post

Ken
Weather has been typical CO weather...meaning very volatile. Rainy and cold one day, than 90 and hot as crap the next.

I live at Hwy 287 and 42. I would miss this area also. Boulder county is a nice place to live!

FrankUrbinati said:
I have an X pipe on my 3' B&B exhaust. We will be installing the resinator in place of the X pipe soon. On a 3" B&B system the resonance is not worth the few H/P lost. Now on a 2 1/2 or other exhaust system the resonance may be different.

Your's and other opinion's may vary.
Why are you replacing the x-pipe? To loud? How much louder does the xpipe make the car?

One positve benefit of the x-pipe over the resonator is it weighs less....the B&B 3 inch resonator weighs in right at 20 pounds.

I think horsepower difference is very minimal......x-pipe would be a lot louder per a recent discussion I had with B&B. BTW they may have dyno data comparing the x-pipe to resonator. You might want to give them a call, they are pretty helpful.

The original B&B system was notorious for highway resonance....anybody who does a lot of highway cruising probably ended up hating the system...I used earplugs. If you cruise in town with windows down or like loud it was a good system...best looking system out there in my opinion. A couple years ago B&B responded to complaints and modified their system to reduce resonance. Not sure how effective the change is, but I just put on a new style resonator and it was very different internally from the old one. So sound wise there are three systems to compare, old with resonator, new with resonator, and x-pipe.

I have a Dr.Gas X crossover in my 92, I noticed it took a little bottom end torque out and it moved it to the midrange, and it also killed any exhaust resonance. All in all it was a good mod.

As mentioned B&B did indeed change their systems a few years ago. Originally it was 3" ALL the way through, and it resonated right around 1800 rpm or perfect for highway headache. They changed the system and necked down the pipes going in and out of the resonator (as well as change its design slightly) and added some "block plates" in the tips with smaller holes in them. This resulted in much less resonance but also much less performance ,which the B&B's were known for. You can , as I did, exchange an X pipe (beautiful peice , I might add) for your resonator which not only weighs less , but recoups all or most of the lost performance at the expence of some resonance (which I dont mind because my car is a weekend fair weather fun car). Hope that helps.....

Oh , and the B&B's are DEFINITELY the best looking out there with excellent quality stainless everything.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom