Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

xm with fm conectivity

gcmlear

Corvette
2004 WHITE CONVERT
I have xm in one of my cars but would like to get a portable for my c5. For anyone using a portable with the fm connection (wireless) Im wondering how effective it is. Obviously a hard wired would be better but is the fm ok? From 1 to 10 compared to a installed radio ?
thanks

I tried the Belkin fm and the fm built into my xm portable. Neither worked very well, so I did a hard wire install.
Do you have a trunk mounted CD changer in your car? If so, here is my solution that works for my Ipod and XM portable:
http://webpages.charter.net/ggwright/ipodinst.htm

Good Luck.
:w
Guy

I have a portable Sirius unit and the FM transmitter works fine, no noticeable distortion. I did a search of available frequencies in my area and selected one of them as my default. Good luck.

I have an adapter similar to one that Guy has, (from PIE elctronics) but the biggest problem I have with the XM is in finding a decent place for the antenna.

Good luck

I have a SkyFi 2 with the standard car adapter kit. I stuck the magnetic antenna to the metal rod in the right rear wheel well and snaked the wire into the console. I plugged the power cord into the receptacle there too. The receiver is a tight fit, and you have to remember to turn it off every time you are going to leave the car for any length of time since that receptacle is always hot. Now to the question at hand. We took a 200 mile drive today from Southern Maryland to Fredericksburg, and Quantico, VA and back, and the sound was just fine, to my old, used up ears. I think the sound is as good as the CD copies in my changer and the FM radio reception (such as it is down here). Reception seems to be good through the fender (I read this in another thread also), but tree lines affect it a bit more than in the Acadia with a big roof-mount antenna, or in the departed G-35 and Miata with the same antenna I have in the Corvette.

I have an adapter similar to one that Guy has, (from PIE elctronics) but the biggest problem I have with the XM is in finding a decent place for the antenna.

Good luck

Attach it to a plain piece of sheet metal (4" x 4" creates ground pane for signal, $2.00 from Home depot) and screw it to the underside of the right rear fender (above the wheel well inside the passenger compartment).

Hard wired in the vette, but my wife has FM transmitter in the truck, no problems at all, sounds like hard wired.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try. I'm using a magnet now that I place opposite the antenna on the rear window. Seems to be working OK, but I like your idea of keeping it inside.

XM Radio Mounting

I have been using a Delphi Skyfi 2 for about 3 years using nothing but FM modulation. I have a 2001 convert. I placed the docking station in the glove box using loop and hook tape. The antenna is on the dash in the lower right hand corner. It too is secured to the dash with hook and loop tape. I was able to easily route all of the wiring and the power is wired into the fuse panel located in the passenger floorboard I have never lost signal and it produces an excellent sound. I remove the unit and use it in three other vehicles.

had a reception problem with the wireless xm radio, would lose reception. moved antenna and velcro-ed on top of the rearview mirror almost touching the fm antenna hook-up. now!! no lost of signal!!

Thank you for the response. Is there a way I can get a copy?

I had the instructions up for about 2 years and didn't save them. However,
I bought this box http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/prodDetail.asp?strProductID=506&strSearch=aux box and the recomended cable. You unhook your rear mounted cd changer cable, plug it into the new cable (yup - cable to cable), plug the other end of the new cable into the aux2car box then run a headphone cable from your xm radio or ipod back to the aux2car box. The aux2car makes the stero system think it's playing a cd on track one.

I know, clear as mud.

Guy

I have used the FM modulator feature on my Sky Fi 2 for several years. The cassette adapter works better but I find that most newer cassette players spit it out as a bad tape. Of course most newer Corvettes don't have a tape player so that is out of the question anyway. If you have a FM station in your modulator list that is unused in the area you drive you should never have a problem getting good reception. My problem is that I drive hundreds of miles away from home and when a stations becomes strong on the FM setting I'm using I have to change settings. Sometimes in high population areas it's hard to find a clear FM setting to use. My wife's Serius has many more settings available than my XM. That should be a non issue once the merger is completed.

As for the metal to make a ground plane, I'm not sure that has any effect. The main thing is not to have the magnetic antenna close to something that deflects the signal. On our trucks roof lights and air horns cause problems if the antenna is too close. On the Freighliners there is a small steel pad the side of the magnetic antenna base clamped to the top mirror bracket and this location offers the best reception of any I have tried.

Has anyone tried to hold a piece of metal up against the inside of the glass roof panel and stick the magnet to it from the outside? The magnet seems pretty strong. It might hold.

Tom

No idea if the metal surface as a ground plane males any difference either, but thats what the instructions that came with the antenna said, and my brother (an amature extra ham radio liscenced operator) said it made sense :upthumbs so I just did it that way.

Hell, Ive seen install pics where guys just stuck the gps or xm verticaly to a crossmember behind the radio in the dash and said they got reception :confused

I think the signal is pretty strong in most areas, probably work most any way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom