Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

You're views on a electric-powered Corvette?

Thore826

Corvette
1975 White, 1984 Black, 1996 Green
Don't get me wrong; I love the sound my Corvette puts out and get compliments all the time, and I'd NEVER consider swapping out an existing engine for electric. I was walking through a parking lot recently, and noticed a car going along putting out an odd humming sound, and I noticed it was either full-electric or a hybrid in electric mode. My father owned an experimental electric truck made a while back, and he said when it idled it sounded like a jet turbine. I saw an article about some kid who converted I believe a British or European sports car to full-electric, and I saw another guy converted a 1970-something Porsche 914 mid-engine to full-electric.
We had the same model Porsche, and I know my Corvette has more room in it for batteries and motors if the engine and fuel tank were gone. And I'm sure if you really tried you could cut down the weight. You can often find C3's and C4's with blown engines on Craigslist and eBay; why not turn the Corvette into the flagship for custom electric cars? Has it been done before? I'd rather have an electric 'vette than a 6-cylinder, which I saw some rumors on about a year ago on here; the economic and fuel crisis with GM probably helped that idea, if they want/need better fuel economy. Just wanted to get you thinking. Speak your mind

Check out Gadgets Electric Garage on TLC. Converted a 67 Camaro to electric. Car is wicked fast.

Think this might be a good option for an otherwise hopeless Vette.

My father owned an experimental electric truck made a while back, and he said when it idled it sounded like a jet turbine.
An electric does not idle. When it stops the engine just stops. Should be no sound at all. Unless it has a aux engine that is charging the batteries.

tom...

I would go for an electrically-powered Corvette. Recently in the TV show Pass Time, there was a guy with an electric S-10 pick-up, and it ran an 11.40 time slip...:eek:eek:eek

It had slicks and whipped up a lot of smoke when doing the burn=out...:thumb

Nope. Not for me thanks. I understand why it might be a good thing for the environment, and why it might make sense when fuel prices go back up, but at the end of the day, I don't want to take the soul out of my car. Besides how many of us have corvettes cause they get great mileage!?!?

Corvettes and Harleys are two of those inanimate objects that seem to have a soul. The right one just feels right and kind of talks to you. You feel it in your hands, your butt and your feet when you drive it. Even if it's smooth as silk. You hear it when it idles and when you’re cruising down the road. You could blind fold most guys and put them in different cars or on different bikes and they could tell you which one is theirs. It just seems like taking the sound and feel out of a corvette sterilizes or neuters it...

I can just see it now...the hearbeat of America... "whirrrrrrr" :)

I would like to have an electric for comuting, but not for a Vette. I am interested in seeing what the Chevy Volt turns out to be.

For the Corvette to continue be the carrier of innovation it has been, it will need to radically change somehow.

Either a 500 Horsepower electric motor, or a 50 mile per gallon 450 horsepower engine...or [since we're dreaming anyhow]...magnetic field suspension over the ground...;LOL:eyerole

GerryLP:cool

just imagine the off the line torque of a huge electric motor wedged under the hood. i dont give a rats butt about sound, if they could do a vette with 500horse/500 ft/lb motor that would be self recharging like the current hybrids that would be awesome.

if they could do a vette with 500horse/500 ft/lb motor that would be self recharging like the current hybrids that would be awesome.

An electric car and a hybrid are two different animals. You'd need a 750HP engine (at least) to charge batteries fast enough to supply a 500HP electric motor.

An electric car and a hybrid are two different animals. You'd need a 750HP engine (at least) to charge batteries fast enough to supply a 500HP electric motor.

A 14 year old in his/her dad's garage will figure it out...:eek:hnoes :eek:hnoes:ugh:eyerole:thumb:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom