Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 Titanium exhaust

imlowr2

Corvette
2001 Torch Red
I'm new to Corvettes and recently bought a 2001 C5. The exhaust is stock and a friend wants to sell me his Z06 Ti exhaust. I know they are lighter but I'm wondering how the sound quality is versus the stock. The stock is so quiet, I have to check if the engine is running. Would like more exhaust noise. Will the Z06 do it? Or other recommendations?

The Z06 Ti exhaust is a little more aggressive in sound. It's quite a bit lighter, it may give you a slight performance boost and it looks better.

Thanks Hib. I'm a little confused because some people say they sound just like the stock pipes with the exception of WOT, then you are able to hear a little more of the throaty exhaust sound. I've listened to sound clips on youtube but without some serious speakers, they all sound the same. I'd like to get a louder exhaust at idle and acceleration. Will the Ti's do that? I see your a fan of the Ti's:thumb

Welcome to CAC, first off. :w 2001 are nice cars, I had one for five years. I had a Corsa Sport system on it, but I would have bought a Z06 Ti system had it been available when I was looking. The Corsa might be a bit more aggressive overall, but not by much. Depending on what he wants, if you don't like it, or it's not loud enough, you won't have any trouble selling it, and getting your money back Good luck with your decision and again, Welcome aboard!

Thanks Hib. I'm a little confused because some people say they sound just like the stock pipes with the exception of WOT, then you are able to hear a little more of the throaty exhaust sound. I've listened to sound clips on youtube but without some serious speakers, they all sound the same. I'd like to get a louder exhaust at idle and acceleration. Will the Ti's do that? I see your a fan of the Ti's:thumb

I'd say that the Ti system from Z06es is slightly louder at idle but not by much. if you are looking for a noticeably louder system at idle that you should go with an aftermarket system.

I agree, hard to tell when the car is running with stock exhaust. I didn't think any of the aftermarket systems with mufflers were very aggressive, so I went with a Borla S type. Sounds awesome, and a great weight savings. No too loud, but can definitely tell when it's running.
One thing I was concerned with, and am still concerned with every aftermarket item is quality. I couldn't be happier with my exhaust! The cat back systems are a true bolt on and go! :thumb

Tank

the Ti's are slightly louder, but not much. But very much lighter in weight!
But you can look into the Ti-Mod. Most who do that, claim they like the louder sound of the Ti's after. Google 'C5 Z06 Titanium exhaust mod' and you can read up on it, and hear some you tube vids on it.

Don

the Ti's are slightly louder, but not much. But very much lighter in weight!
But you can look into the Ti-Mod. Most who do that, claim they like the louder sound of the Ti's after. Google 'C5 Z06 Titanium exhaust mod' and you can read up on it, and hear some you tube vids on it.

Don
I was thinking about the same option. The main problem with the Ti Mod is that they are titanium. The bypass tube needs to be titanium as well and most places won't weld titanium unless you have a good tig welder. It's not as easy as it looks. I'm looking at the aftermarket now, perhaps the Borla Stingers, or???

I was thinking about the same option. The main problem with the Ti Mod is that they are titanium. The bypass tube needs to be titanium as well and most places won't weld titanium unless you have a good tig welder. It's not as easy as it looks. I'm looking at the aftermarket now, perhaps the Borla Stingers, or???

I have the Stingers and I wouldn't change them out for anything else, but they do pop at times on deceleration (with the Borla X pipe) and they drone at cruise speeds. I like loud, and they are. I have the six speed manual so I can shift around the droning if I want to, but if you have a four speed auto it could possibly get annoying. Good luck with your choice. :)

I have the Stingers and I wouldn't change them out for anything else, but they do pop at times on deceleration (with the Borla X pipe) and they drone at cruise speeds. I like loud, and they are. I have the six speed manual so I can shift around the droning if I want to, but if you have a four speed auto it could possibly get annoying. Good luck with your choice. :)
I appreciate that info. A friend of mine's father has a 02 Convertible which is stock and has the stingers on it. It is also 4 speed auto like mine. Although his foot was into the gas pedal most of the time, I didn't notice much drone. Actually, they were quiet until you gave if the gas. Then they sounded really nice. Having the 6 speed does have it's advantages with a nice exhaust system!

I appreciate that info. A friend of mine's father has a 02 Convertible which is stock and has the stingers on it. It is also 4 speed auto like mine. Although his foot was into the gas pedal most of the time, I didn't notice much drone. Actually, they were quiet until you gave if the gas. Then they sounded really nice. Having the 6 speed does have it's advantages with a nice exhaust system!

I should have qualified my statement to "possibly be annoying to some owners". That wouldn't have been me however, even with a 4 speed auto I would still like the sound. I forgot to mention on start up cold they have a nice "raaaap" to them, not real loud, but enough to let you know they are there. :)

You did the correct thing, to test drive a vehicle with the system on it to test the sound, perfect scenario. They are a quality unit, and since they have been around a while now you may be able to find a good deal on some used ones, who knows. Good luck.

weld Ti

There is a guy in Huntington Beach, who welds Titanium, and is familiar with the Ti mod of C5 pipes. You'd have to find the two small sections for the mod. But I can give you his information on his shop, if you need it.

Don

Thanks Don. I'm still searching for an exhaust system. I really don't want to pay $1K for a system that I'm not going to be happy with. I've been looking for used systems, Corsa, borla, B&B, etc and there isn't a big selection out there for sale, or shipping is from somewhere on the East coast. I'm really considering just going with the Ti's at this point as it would be a step up from the stock exhaust and tips. As far as the mod goes, most welding shops can weld titanium so it's not a problem. Finding the tubes in titanium might be a bigger issue. I haven't heard the exhaust with the bi- pass mod done yet, so I can't comment. I've found it's not an easy issue finding the right exhaust! In addition, it seems the more I listen to, the more confused I get. I appreciate everyone's input.:upthumbs

Last edited:
It was mine, but now my wifes 2001 with the Z06 exhaust on it. A bit louder, mostly at WOT. It's an improvement overall.
As others have mentioned, looks better and much lighter, with a bit better tone.
But if you're looking for something much louder, this isn't it. Good luck.:thumb

IMG_1261.jpg

I just wanted to update everyone on my exhaust system. I got a deal on one of the bidding sites for a set of Borla stingers. They had less than 1K miles on them. A buddy of mine owns a shop with a lift and allowed me to use it to change out the exhaust. The borlas are nice. They give a good rumble at idle but nothing obnoxious. Cruising is actually quiet until you accelerate and the pipes give off a good roar. I know it's considerably quieter because I'm still running the cats with stock manifolds. As it is now, I really like the sound without the need for other modifications. As for performance? I see a slight different on torque and maybe a bit more top end. I do recommend the Borla exhaust. No problems installing them. The right side was a little tricky over the axle because I'm running a A4 trans, but otherwise pretty straight forward. Thanks everyone for your help. Here is a picture of the new exhaust. The 4 inch tips make a little difference...:thumb
Borla erase.jpg

Last edited:
borla stinger

98 vette & 96 Camaro Z28.jpg98 vette.jpgI had the borla stinger, the 2 4" outlets on my 98 C5, and a friend had them on his 04 Z06. i loved them great sound and mellow tone at 80 mph. no drone.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom