Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 vs. Ford's new GT

V

Vette Virgin

Has anybody compared these 2 beasts head to head? Besides their prices, don't they perform similarly?

I mean, what do you get buying the Ford GT for the extra $100k in price? Amazing?!

I love the Z06..still the Ford GT is a different class of car..

More of a retro mid engine Race Car!

Next C6 Z06 should put the Ford GT on the trailer though..

Good question!

Thanks

JB

I hate to say this, being a C-5 owner, but I predict the GT-40 will smoke just about anything out there--500 BHP and 500 ft lbs of torque.Its fairly small and will really rule the road, handling and speed.(looks aint bad either)All the write ups I've read just love her and I saw the originals beat Ferrari at Daytona years ago with a lesser engine.If I had the 150K .. I'd buy it in a heart beat - it will be a collectors car and go UP in value..Don't take trips in it tho' no trunk/ cargo space at all!!!

It would be hard to compare a Z06 to a Ford GT considering Ford has yet to build a single production verison of the car.

The Ford will be a 2005 model and there will be not 05 Z06.

My guess is, the 06 Z06 when it arrives will be a close competitor mainly because the Ford GT will end-up weighing 300-400 lbs more than the Z06.

December Issue of Road and Track states test weight of the first 3 Production vehicles is 3500 lbs.I believe the first ones are built (6/03) already to co incide with Ford's 100th birthday.Get the issue and read it..I hope Corvette can muster a new C-6 to compete also but Ford I think is way ahead of GM on this car... Thanks Steve

I have a 69 GT40 that the new Ford GT is based on. It currently under restoration, im painting it in 2 weeks. THe new one with 500 supercharged horsepower is going to be wicked fast, although they are really made for handling, not straight line performance. They are already in production , 3 have been delivered to Ford Execs. They are going to release them in the spring when each major Dealer will be able to have one. I would expect a major dealer markup over the MSRP. They are not mass produced like most cars, but mostly hand assembled in their own shop. Latest estimate is they will be in the $150-175 K range, and annual production will only be a couple of hundred.

:) Road & Crap's Dec. mag has a road test on the GT "43"...

zero to 60 =3.8 sec. ( Outstanding if re-producable)
60 to zero = 117 ft ( PIG POOR... Vette = 105 ft, 03 Viper=98ft)
1/4 mile = 12.2 sec.@ 121.6 mph. ( may be a tic faster than a Z)
lat. accel, = .99G ( both the vette & Viper are over 1.0G)

:D Looks like an 04 Z06 will hang with the new GT 40 on a road course!
At Road Atlanta, the new Cobras are fast down the back straight. After 15 minutes or so, they tend to over-heat because of the "Huffer".

;) Guess we gotta wait to see a GT 40 at a Panoz day event!

"Z06 vs. Ford's new GT "

apples to oranges. Two different cars intended for different market segments. It's a non-issue which one is fastest/quickest.

Mike Mercury said:
"Z06 vs. Ford's new GT "

apples to oranges. Two different cars intended for different market segments. It's a non-issue which one is fastest/quickest.

:D Yep! Until some guy takes his New GT "43" to the track and gets blown away by a car that costs a third of his "BABY"!!!

;) Some one WILL bring a Ford GT to Road Atlanta! Only question is "When"?

Its almost a sure bet some will show up in American LeMans Series or Rolex series. Lot of the same (but improved tech) as the Saleen S-7.

Trumperz06 makes my point. For $100,000 extra, the GT is 1/10 second faster, if that, 0-60. And around 1/2 second faster on the quarter. Breaking is suspect and can't even haul golf clubs.

Jeez

:eyerole

I can't argue the VALUE line of Vette Virgin -its the same as comparing a GT-40 to a Ferrari or Saleen or Porsche 917K etc .You pays your money and you get a "better" car.How much better?? It s in the eyes of the buyer and personal taste for say 100 to 200k more -is it that MUCH better?Its also style, craftsmanship and marketing and engineering.So Vette Virgin-- answer this... If someone gave you the choice of a C-5 or a Ferrari for free--would you still get the Corvette???Be honest!!!! Steve

I personally think we have reached the limits in street cars. Once you got cars down into the 3-4 second 0-60 times your there. I dont think your ever going to see a 2 second 0-60 car except on the drag strip. So if one car a 1/10 of a second slower is not that big a deal. Not everyone is out for speed. I have a 308 Ferrari and its pretty fast but not all that...I have it for the style. Same for my GT40, I just like the looks and it will prob be lucky to ever see 100MPH. Althought I like Vettes, and own one now, guess which ones people point and stare at going down the road even if its only 35MPH. (clue...its not the vette :D....)

OK, I went to my Shrink and my reasons are clear, I HATE FORDS. I will insult Fords as much as I can and in this case, it was too easy. $50k vs. $150k, Chevy vs. Ford. Similar performance. Hence there was no reason for my bringing up European cars as I have nothing against them. Should Chevy start putting wood and other decorative items in the cockpit of the Vette to take on Ferrari's etc, that would be a different story.

;)

My Vette has an all Rosewood dash, door trim and console...all that black plastic was just tooooooo boring. Too Chevette for my taste, now I like it. The Ferrari is all leather, Gt40 is leather and machined aluminum.

Everyone has different tastes, thats why theres a few hundred car models to choose from. For example, Id take a bus if I had to drive any SUV...that includes overpriced pickups with back seats like Navigator and Escalade. I dont even want to talk about roadhogging Hummers.

You wanna talk bang for the buck...I just sold a Fiero with small block V8 that would blow the doors off almost any Corvette. GM axed the Fiero in 88 because all the big guys at GM (and Corvette) realized after watching the 89 Fiero GT prototype on test track that it would kill Corvette sales. Vettes at the time were 2-3 times the Fiero price and the little Pontiac in 89 would have had similar performance for $18-20K. Now get really weird, how about perf numbers of vette matched by Chrylser Neon S4 for less than $20K compared to $55K for a base model vette?

See, its all in what you want.

I will take one of each ,,,,,,,,,, whats to hate on either either side!

geo

I will take one of each ,,,,,,,,,, whats to hate on either either side!

That would be great to see them square off. Sell tickets on that one!!

The C-5 is an awesome car and I wish GM would treat it as such.I agree the interior could use some real upgrades also--my Audi 89 Quattro interior is better looking and more comfortable than my Vette.I tried to buy Recaro seats for the C-5 - none made!!The performance of the car is great overall and the value and style appeal to many, but for 50K it could be so much better!!!So the Ford GT appeals to me because of style, engineering, performance and its history but not in any practical sense BECAUSE of cost and reality- but it IS a beauty!!!It will be a serious competitor in performance also.

VETTE VS FORD GT

HI GUYS!
I don't mean to be rude -- but the Ford GT smokes the Z06.
Now before you will all prey on me - lets get something clear.
I am an avid GM fan - and dislike the Ford product.
There is a colossal difference between 116 mph in the quarter mile (Z06 #'s) and the GT's 121/122. IT is a huge difference!
I assume that the next Z06 will generate these #'s as well.
Hope I am right - or better yet hope I am wrong and it will be faster than 121.
David

Your point is well taken.

However, you have to think if you spent the money on the Z06 that you'd have to spend on the GT, what type of car you'd wind up with!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom