Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 With an Automatic Transmission . . ?

they had the test mule running around with the A6 and it was rumored to be faster than the Manual.

I agree GM should make this but since they are still holding off....buy a coupe or convertible..

slap a supercharger on it and have a hell of a ride.

Less expensive too..

One day GM will offer an automatic or DSG tranny in the Z but not for a few years I guess...

too bad.

Do you suppose the 8 powertrain test mules were equipped with an automatic? Maybe some of them? They did have 3.63 gears instead of the regular 3.42's. Shorter gears might make them faster...

they had the test mule running around with the A6 and it was rumored to be faster than the Manual. I agree GM should make this but since they are still holding off....buy a coupe or convertible.. slap a supercharger on it and have a hell of a ride. Less expensive too..One day GM will offer an automatic or DSG tranny in the Z but not for a few years I guess...too bad.

I just might have to do that.... are there any drawbacks to slapping in super charger into a 2006 Auto Coupe? I've seen quite a few pictures of pople that have done this mod but I've never heard any feedback about it . . ?

Paddle-Shift Option for the Z-06

I like the idea of a paddle-shift auto trans on the Z-06. I drove a BMW M3 a couple of years ago with the SMG transmission. It was somewhat awkward to me at first, but I could easily get used to it with more driving time (I only drove it once). The thing that bothered me about it was that even though it supposedly could shift in a few hundredths of a second, in every test that I read, the manual transmission was slightly quicker on acceleration than the SMG (one or two tenths of a second in the quarter-mile).

If GM would offer a paddle-shift option on the Z-06 that didn't give up any performance to the manual, I would be very interested. A paddle-shift option makes perfect sense to me. If it's good enough for BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Ferrari, it's good enough for the Z-06 IMNHO.

I hope they keep automatic transmissions on non-Z06s. If they develop a paddleshift STICK SHIFT like those in Europe, slap that on the Z06. The 8-10% HP loss on a true automatic is a deal breaker when you pay as much per HP as you do on the Z06. The problem is that the manual paddleshifter costs a TON of money tp produce, and are very complex and hard to work on. I can just see some of these guys at my Chevy dealer working on the automatic clutch etc.

I like the z51 c6 A6 with the supercharger option. I rarely hear anyone report back ..Never thought of that till you mentioned it.

I am beginning to hear that c6 z06 owners are having issue with the sticking clutch pedal though.

Although I can with dilegent care of the clutch master cylinder fluid keep on top of the sticking clutch pedal...I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER GM PRODUCT WITH A MANUAL TILL THEY GUARANTEE THERE WON'T BE ANY PROBLEMS. ie sticking clutch pedal.

Its a pain in the @ss and totally unacceptable.

GM could do a lot worse than offering an automatic on the Z...

Indeed! And I couldn't help but to wonder what kind of additional market they just might tap into with such an option!

There is no way that automatic could be put behind the LS7 without the torque/power management system severely limiting the power output at full throttle. That being the case - what's the point? I removed torque management from my C6, and it made a huge difference at full throttle, my quarter mile times went down 1/2 second due to full power launches and shifts - that's huge. As much as I loved the unfettered power at full throttle, I knew the transmission was at risk, and I know it would have to be replaced if I used that full throttle kick too many times. GM would have to kill the LS7 at full throttle or face huge business liabilities trying to warranty the A6 for 100,000 miles. The answer is paddles on a manual transmission and huge development and manufacturing costs.

I'm anxious to see the torque management constraints on the 08 C6 paddleshifter with all that new HP. ;shrug

There is no way that automatic could be put behind the LS7 without the torque/power management system severely limiting the power output at full throttle. That being the case - what's the point? I removed torque management from my C6, and it made a huge difference at full throttle, my quarter mile times went down 1/2 second due to full power launches and shifts - that's huge. As much as I loved the unfettered power at full throttle, I knew the transmission was at risk, and I know it would have to be replaced if I used that full throttle kick too many times. GM would have to kill the LS7 at full throttle or face huge business liabilities trying to warranty the A6 for 100,000 miles. The answer is paddles on a manual transmission and huge development and manufacturing costs.

I'm anxious to see the torque management constraints on the 08 C6 paddleshifter with all that new HP. ;shrug
Read response #14 in this thread.:w

Car manufacturers have to pay for each engine/tranny combination to be federally certified before they are sold.

So, they probably figured that the increase in sales by offering auto and stick would not compensate for the additional certification and engineering costs.

This is the same reason why the ZR1 was 6 speed only, as well as the 1996 LT4. It's also the reason why many cars / trucks are offering less combinations than they did in the past. It used to be you could buy the same car or truck in 6 or more combinations (3 engines, 2 transmissions) now you are seeing them only offer 1 transmission per engine in most cases.

Is this where "no means yes?"

The 6speed auto paddleshift is designed to handle 670lb. ft. of torque. My stock Z06 has 427 on the ground. Now, figure 10% gain from the ground to the output shaft and...:W

Chevy has never had an automatic in any Z06, going all the way back to 1963. It'll be a cold day in hell before they put one in now.

no? (or possibly?)

I read it, but I don't believe it for a second. The current A6 wouldn't be so constrained by TM if it could take that kind of torque reliably.

Paddle-Shift Option for the Z-06

Why would you assume that GM would put a transmission on the Z-06 that was not adequate to handle its horsepower? I would assume just the opposite, that if they do offer a paddle-shift option on the Z-06 (the fastest car ever made by GM), they would design and use a transmission that would not only handle the car's power, but also one that would equal or exceed the straight-line performance (zero to 60 ans quarter-mile ET) of the manual. To do otherwise would be incredibly stupid, to say the least. Why would anyone pay 1,000 to 2,000 dollars or more extra for a transmission on a high-performance car that would slow the car down?

Why would you assume that GM would put a transmission on the Z-06 that was not adequate to handle its horsepower? I would assume just the opposite, that if they do offer a paddle-shift option on the Z-06 (the fastest car ever made by GM), they would design and use a transmission that would not only handle the car's power, but also one that would equal or exceed the straight-line performance (zero to 60 ans quarter-mile ET) of the manual. To do otherwise would be incredibly stupid, to say the least. Why would anyone pay 1,000 to 2,000 dollars or more extra for a transmission on a high-performance car that would slow the car down?

I wouldn't assume GM would offer an automatic that couldn't handle the power of the Z, which is why I said they wouldn't offer the A6 anytime soon. The A6 on the current Vette is not as fast as the M6, so I don't understand your second point. There is parasitic horsepower loss from the automatic that exists on every true automatic...8-10%. That's why the exotics use paddleshift manual boxes. But they cost MANY thousands, and that's why they can't be put in current Vettes. But, who knows, the paddleshifter manual may be a Blue Devil feature. Let's start a rumor!

Paddle-Shift Manual Gearbox

You're right - I would assume that if GM does offer a paddle-shift on the Z-06 (or on the Blue Devil), it will be an automatically-shifted manual gearbox, and it will be expensive. I'm betting that one will come out on the Blue Devil, which will likely replace the current Z-06.

I wouldn't assume GM would offer an automatic that couldn't handle the power of the Z, which is why I said they wouldn't offer the A6 anytime soon. The A6 on the current Vette is not as fast as the M6, so I don't understand your second point. There is parasitic horsepower loss from the automatic that exists on every true automatic...8-10%. That's why the exotics use paddleshift manual boxes. But they cost MANY thousands, and that's why they can't be put in current Vettes. But, who knows, the paddleshifter manual may be a Blue Devil feature. Let's start a rumor!

I read it, but I don't believe it for a second. The current A6 wouldn't be so constrained by TM if it could take that kind of torque reliably.
The CYA trans isn't "constrained by TM" for the transmission's sake. Now, it may be "constrained" for other driveline issues...

The CYA trans isn't "constrained by TM" for the transmission's sake. Now, it may be "constrained" for other driveline issues...

OK - what's your source of that information?

OK - what's your source of that information?
The CYA trans is quite stout. Now, the axles have been known to be the "fuse" in the circuit. I would like to keep my source of info open, therefor, "I can't say.":ugh

My guess is the the Corvette gurus at the factory know that the Z06 is for men (and car-serious girls) not wimps, so there is no need for an auto tranny!
Gersh

My guess is the the Corvette gurus at the factory know that the Z06 is for men (and car-serious girls) not wimps, so there is no need for an auto tranny!
Gersh
There is a chance I might throw back a brew, laugh and agree with you except GM can't get the dam clutch pedal to work on these cars (about 10%) as the miles pile on..

No fun driving a kick @ss serious sports car like the corvette when the clutch pedal lays on the floor at 6000 rpm in 3 rd gear and you go to shift and the pedal doesn't come back up.

There is no definitive answer on a solution by GM.

If it required Dual clutch sequential shift technology then apply it. If it requires a torque convertor six speed automatic I'd be less enthusiastic but at least about 10% of the corvette population who drive the car hard don't have to swap the clutch master cylinder fluid every week to keep the dam pedal working.

JMO and not a flame at anyone here but rather less than thrilled with GM.

they are the worlds best. They deserve to do better in my opinion...and with all due respect so do the owners of this great car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom