Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06's- mods and supercharging

Corvette
1986, Dark Red Coupe. '02 EB Z-06, '78 L-82 P.C.
TODD L GRIFFITH said:
I know my friend Heavy Duty was quite interested too. Birds of a feather.......................:)
I think it would be interesting looking around the world for common strands many miles apart. I'm sure migration and land masses on the constant move over time make it alot of fun and interesting. Sea Turtles are an interesting subject. I have a friend that works on Endeavor out of Woods Hole. Bob Ballard is coming for six months to do research. Bob will be emailing us to keep us up to date on what he is doing, along with the other scientists. A real joy for my kids, they are very fortunate to have access to him.

Still interested:). Hey Todd, John (the guy with the Mustang) is working me over about modding my stang. So far I've put the x-pipe on (no cats), 2 chamber flow masters, and a cold air kit. I must say that just that little bit of work woke the pony up:D. Completely different car. Wow. Now he is trying to get me to super charge it. The cost seems reasonalbe to do so but I would like to do a few things to the Z. I was talking to one of the Procharger guys and they claim with their Super Charger on the Z that I could be pushing close to 500 ponies at the wheels. what do-ya think.

Since I am so close to Woods Hole I'll have to take a run up there before I leave and check it out. I've seen some of Ballard et al works published in National Geographic. Those guys do some nice work.

H.D.

Heavy Duty said:
I was talking to one of the Procharger guys and they claim with their Super Charger on the Z that I could be pushing close to 500 ponies at the wheels. what do-ya think.

I think 500 rwhp with the Procharger will be easy. Of course, you could pay a visit to my tuner here in NJ who'll hook you up with a Paxton, and you'll be looking at 600+rwhp.:crazy

Geneus said:
I think 500 rwhp with the Procharger will be easy. Of course, you could pay a visit to my tuner here in NJ who'll hook you up with a Paxton, and you'll be looking at 600+rwhp.:crazy

I haven't looked at the Paxton. Do you have to drill any holes in the oil pan? I was looking at the Vortec. It comes as a complete kit for around $3700.00. But the down side is that you have to drill a hole into the oil pan for the return line. The other thing was that Procharger claims to make way more power than the Vortec. I'll have to check into the Paxton.

Anyway, my mustang buddy thinks i am nuts for wanting to mod the Z. He says leave it as is and play with the stang. That way if I screw something up I'll only have a dead pony:L.

H.D.:w

Heavy Duty said:
I haven't looked at the Paxton. Do you have to drill any holes in the oil pan? I was looking at the Vortec. It comes as a complete kit for around $3700.00. But the down side is that you have to drill a hole into the oil pan for the return line. The other thing was that Procharger claims to make way more power than the Vortec. I'll have to check into the Paxton.

Anyway, my mustang buddy thinks i am nuts for wanting to mod the Z. He says leave it as is and play with the stang. That way if I screw something up I'll only have a dead pony:L.

Yeah...I thought that my Z would never have a mod done to it...LOL. As for the Paxton needing to drill into the oil pan, I do believe it runs off the engine oil like the Vortech, so yes. As for the Procharger making more power....ahh, I don't think so. A&A Corvettes on the West Coast has started turning out Vortech's and they are making serious power. ECS here in NJ has started using the Paxton's and they too are laying it down. Both of these shops are just buying the "head units" and building their own kits, and their "turn-key" systems are worth every penny they charge.:beer

Heavy Duty said:

I've been looking a Procharger myself unless I can find a better deal.

Heavy Duty said:
Still interested:). Hey Todd, John (the guy with the Mustang) is working me over about modding my stang. So far I've put the x-pipe on (no cats), 2 chamber flow masters, and a cold air kit. I must say that just that little bit of work woke the pony up:D. Completely different car. Wow. Now he is trying to get me to super charge it. The cost seems reasonalbe to do so but I would like to do a few things to the Z. I was talking to one of the Procharger guys and they claim with their Super Charger on the Z that I could be pushing close to 500 ponies at the wheels. what do-ya think.

Since I am so close to Woods Hole I'll have to take a run up there before I leave and check it out. I've seen some of Ballard et al works published in National Geographic. Those guys do some nice work.

H.D.
Yeah a supercharger will be sweet. Hey if you want we can do a dual installation. That would be fun! Yes, Ballard is the guy who found Titanic and the Yorktown pretty cool stuff indeed.

Geneus said:
Yeah...I thought that my Z would never have a mod done to it...LOL. As for the Paxton needing to drill into the oil pan, I do believe it runs off the engine oil like the Vortech, so yes. As for the Procharger making more power....ahh, I don't think so. A&A Corvettes on the West Coast has started turning out Vortech's and they are making serious power. ECS here in NJ has started using the Paxton's and they too are laying it down. Both of these shops are just buying the "head units" and building their own kits, and their "turn-key" systems are worth every penny they charge.:beer
No drilling with Procharger, you just have to change the oil in the unit every 6K miles. The stock bottom end on the Z is good for between 500-650rwhp before the rings come to a point where they just can't handle the boost pressure. Alot of guys are running stock bottom ends. A guy that really knows and has been through all this recently is ZO6TOM. He can shed some light on the subject.

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
I've been looking a Procharger myself unless I can find a better deal.

I've been doing a lot of reading on SCs. From what I've read over on corvette forums you want to stay below 500rwhp if you have a stock bottom end motor. Check out the CF forced induction section. Some really good stuff. I really want to do the SC but don't want to have to spend 10gs on an engine. I have talked to one of the Procharger reps and he said that with a stock motor to keep the boost at around 6 psi. Anything over that and you risk making huge holes in the engine:eek. He also said that they send the complete packaging including the tuning software. The only thing you have to buy is a higher capacity fuel pump.

Hey, do you have a place to work on them this winter. If so i'll bring mine back up and we'll do both. With the modes you have already done you should easy push 600+ horses:W .

Heavy Duty said:
I've been doing a lot of reading on SCs. From what I've read over on corvette forums you want to stay below 500rwhp if you have a stock bottom end motor. Check out the CF forced induction section. Some really good stuff. I really want to do the SC but don't want to have to spend 10gs on an engine. I have talked to one of the Procharger reps and he said that with a stock motor to keep the boost at around 6 psi. Anything over that and you risk making huge holes in the engine:eek. He also said that they send the complete packaging including the tuning software. The only thing you have to buy is a higher capacity fuel pump.

Hey, do you have a place to work on them this winter. If so i'll bring mine back up and we'll do both. With the modes you have already done you should easy push 600+ horses:W .

Yes, 6psi of boost agreed. Yes I have a sweet heated garage to do all the work.

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Yes, 6psi of boost agreed. Yes I have a sweet heated garage to do all the work.

Hey, I sent you another e-mail. do you know anything about Tbyrne over in Westport?

H.D.

Hey fellas. The Vortech kit does tap the oil pan. The advantage to this is the fact that you're lubricating the head unit with fresh engine oil. When you change your oil, you're done.

The tap:

344%3B8%3C9523232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323572464245ot1lsi

The Vortech kit is pullied for 6.5 psi for the LS6, and 7.5 psi on the LS1. My tuner only uses the LS1 pulley, even on the LS6. The tune is the big factor with these things. Keep enough fuel in it and keep knock out of the equation, and you can run a little more boost. If you're set on a centrifugal, I think I'd look at Andy's kit. Got with the largest capacity head unit you can and it'll grow with you as you do other mods. Andy's getting some great numbers with his T-trim package. You can always pulley it for low boost with your stock internals and then turn up the wick if you go forged.

Here's a graph of Andy's T-trim kit on a forged 346 @ 13psi:

344%3B8%3C9523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B577562%3B4ot1lsi

and here's mine @ 9psi:

344%3B932%3B23232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A48793676ot1lsi

Here's my graph with mine pullied for 10.5psi on the dyno, just for grins:

344%3B932%3B23232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3C%3A9%3A587%3Aot1lsi

I'm gonna have to go to forged pistons, but @ 12psi, I'm hoping for around 700/600 @ the wheels.

344%3B932%3B23232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A67%3B95%3B%3B5ot1lsi

344%3B932%3B23232%7Ffp3%3Enu%3D3242%3E895%3E899%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3B58%3A%3A5849nu0mrj

344%3B932%3B23232%7Ffp3%3Enu%3D3242%3E895%3E899%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3B58%3A%3A6%3A44nu0mrj

BTW: The Kenne Bell roots blower is in the final stages of development... It's gonna be a monster as well:

34735KB3.jpg

34735KB4.jpg

34735KB1.jpg

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Congrats on your sig. I bet those gears really make you fly!

Yes, the car moves well...best for me to date (about 3 weeks ago) has been 11.3@122, with a 1.67-60'. With the air getting better here, and with a better launch (1.5x-60') I'm hoping to see 10's...but it won't be easy.

As for the whole S/C thing, I agree with Z06Tom that much power can be made on a stock bottom end safely as long as your tune provides enough fuel. I also believe that as long as your foot isn't constantly "in it" that you can expect some longevity on a stock bottom end. Of course, forging, while more expensive, adds an extra level of security, even at the the higher power levels. But, to use an oft quoted phrase, nothing is certain in life except death and taxes.:D

Z06 Tom said:
BTW: The Kenne Bell roots blower is in the final stages of development... It's gonna be a monster as well:

34735KB3.jpg

34735KB4.jpg

34735KB1.jpg
Better get the high rise hood for that contraption :)

Geneus said:
Yes, the car moves well...best for me to date (about 3 weeks ago) has been 11.3@122, with a 1.67-60'. With the air getting better here, and with a better launch (1.5x-60') I'm hoping to see 10's...but it won't be easy.

As for the whole S/C thing, I agree with Z06Tom that much power can be made on a stock bottom end safely as long as your tune provides enough fuel. I also believe that as long as your foot isn't constantly "in it" that you can expect some longevity on a stock bottom end. Of course, forging, while more expensive, adds an extra level of security, even at the the higher power levels. But, to use an oft quoted phrase, nothing is certain in life except death and taxes.:D
Yes, I will have to stick with the stock bottom end for now. My tuner had to detune his because of the same reason. BTW, thanks ZO6TOM for responding so quickly.

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Yes, I will have to stick with the stock bottom end for now. My tuner had to detune his because of the same reason. BTW, thanks ZO6TOM for responding so quickly.

I notice that you are running a fairly big cam. Does your tuner think that it will be compatible with a S/C application? It was my impression that the cams used with blowers tended to be a bit "milder." In fact, I know ECS has had great success leaving the stock cam from the Z in the LS6 with their supercharger installs.

Geneus said:
I notice that you are running a fairly big cam. Does your tuner think that it will be compatible with a S/C application? It was my impression that the cams used with blowers tended to be a bit "milder." In fact, I know ECS has had great success leaving the stock cam from the Z in the LS6 with their supercharger installs.
I don't think it will be too much of a problem. For some reason I don't think of a cam being that big in a Gen III unless it has a duration over 230 on both ends. This cam was selected for its high rpm power. I did take advantage of the Comp cam help line before making my final selection. There is some lope to it, but very steetable. When I am running the AC, it just amplifies the lope, sounds pretty cool. I had a guy standing behind the car one day in awe. I asked him if he could hear it, and he said, "oh ya." and asked me for the specs. By adding the 1.8 ratio rockers I gained .035" of I/E lift. Alittle more flow never hurts.

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
I When I am running the AC, it just amplifies the lope, sounds pretty cool. I had a guy standing behind the car one day in awe. I asked him if he could hear it, and he said, "oh ya." and asked me for the specs.

I think that having your cam on a 112 lsa will certainly not only give you more "feel" but also more sound. My G5X3 cam I think is a bit bigger, but on the 114 you definately hear it, but don't feel it as much....a little less "shake."

Geneus said:
I think that having your cam on a 112 lsa will certainly not only give you more "feel" but also more sound. My G5X3 cam I think is a bit bigger, but on the 114 you definately hear it, but don't feel it as much....a little less "shake."
Yes, One thing I do notice about your setup is your compression ratio. At 59cc you must be alittle better than 11:1 compression. You must have to run to run the highest octane you can find. I am going to swap out these heads, but now I have the supercharging bug, Heavy Duty's fault!........I'll have to go with a larger combustion chamber now like a 71cc.

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Yes, One thing I do notice about your setup is your compression ratio. At 59cc you must be alittle better than 11:1 compression. You must have to run to run the highest octane you can find. I am going to swap out these heads, but now I have the supercharging bug, Heavy Duty's fault!........I'll have to go with a larger combustion chamber now like a 71cc.

Actually, I was told the compression is somewhere between 11.2-11.3. I know I have run the car hard this summer using 93 octane fuel and never heard so much as a ping, so I guess the tune is dead on.

I hear you about the FI bug...my friend, Jersey Jay, had a 383 forged TT done on his Z this spring (~800 rwhp). He let me drive it, and boy oh boy...how tempting.:crazy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom