Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Z51 option

wwsmith

Corvette
2013 yellow coupe
I just recently bought an '06 convertible that was advertised as a Z51 car. I can not find any code in the glove box for Z51 or RPO on the build sheet. The dealer says since it has slotted rotors it has to be a Z51, I believe these can be swapped onto the car. Am I right?

I just recently bought an '06 convertible that was advertised as a Z51 car. I can not find any code in the glove box for Z51 or RPO on the build sheet. The dealer says since it has slotted rotors it has to be a Z51, I believe these can be swapped onto the car. Am I right?

First off WW, welcome to CAC. You've come to the right place for great information.

If you codes on the glove box don't say Z51, I doubt seriously if it has it. Now that being said, the components (ie, the brake rotors, shocks, springs, etc) could be changed to make the upgrade complete. But without checking each one of those items, I'm guessing just the rotors were upgraded. A dealer SHOULD know that the RPO codes show whether or not a vehicle has a specific set of options. If they were touting Z51 as a selling feature, then they are guilty of fraud, if the vehicle doesn't have it.

The dealer may be BS'ing you.

If the car was advertised as a Z51 but does not have the option, you've been "had". Make sure you have a copy of the advertising which said that.

If the car was equipped as such, "Z51" would appear on that label.

It's possible the previous owner put drilled rotors on the car, and this dealer either out of ignorance or out of malice, told you had Z51 because they saw the drilled rotors and with the presence of the drilled rotors, figured you wouldn't confirm the car truly had the option

Here is a list of equipment which should be on the car along with the cross-drilled rotors

Higher rate springs
Larger diameter front and rear stabilizers
Specific shock absorbers
Engine oil and power steering coolers
Special transmission ratios if it's a manual
Performance axle ratio if it's an automatic
Goodyear F1 Supercar EMT tires...although it's possible an '06 would not have it's original tires.

With the exception of the tires, if any of that stuff is missing, the car is not a Z51.

Z-51????

If you go back to the dealer and tell them that you were had l am sure they will do everything to make it right.
this is a major offense.
you have to decide to either return the vette or take an allowance in either $ or a dealer warranty for at least 2 yrs bumper to bumper

good Luck

The dealer may be BS'ing you.

If the car was advertised as a Z51 but does not have the option, you've been "had". Make sure you have a copy of the advertising which said that.

If the car was equipped as such, "Z51" would appear on that label.

It's possible the previous owner put drilled rotors on the car, and this dealer either out of ignorance or out of malice, told you had Z51 because they saw the drilled rotors and with the presence of the drilled rotors, figured you wouldn't confirm the car truly had the option

Here is a list of equipment which should be on the car along with the cross-drilled rotors

Higher rate springs
Larger diameter front and rear stabilizers
Specific shock absorbers
Engine oil and power steering coolers
Special transmission ratios if it's a manual
Performance axle ratio if it's an automatic
Goodyear F1 Supercar EMT tires...although it's possible an '06 would not have it's original tires.

With the exception of the tires, if any of that stuff is missing, the car is not a Z51.

Hib's list is from GM, and it's slightly generic.

First, it is barely barely possible that your glove box door was replaced with one from another car, and the equipment list may not be accurate. Check the VIN.

More Z51 details, compared to a base suspension car:
The front spring is seriously stiffer, but the rear spring is actually a bit softer. That's compensated for by the much stiffer rear sway bar (stabilizer).

The Z51 shock absorbers are great for smooth roads and road course/autocross competition. But they can be brutal on rough roads, I replaced mine with Bilstein Heavy Duty (NOT Sport) shocks.

The automatic transmission cars did not get the engine oil cooler, though it can be installed afterwards.

Good luck with your new car!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom