Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Z51 Rotors

Blue260

Corvette
2014 Lime Rock Green Metallic 3LT/ Z51 - 7 Speed
Will the Z51 rotors fit the base 08' model?
Do I also need the brackets and calipers?
thanks,
chris

Chris,

I'm guessing that at the very least one would need the calipers and the brackets to make the conversion. I'm very interested to find out the answer to this question.

Jason

HI there,
Z51 or J55 braking systems are the same except for the cross drilled rotors and the higher temperature/friction pads.
Calipers, brackets and spindles are the same.
ZO6 or J56 is completely different and should NOT be confused.
Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,
Z51 or J55 braking systems are the same except for the cross drilled rotors and the higher temperature/friction pads.
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks for the information. I am sure it will be very helpful.

All braking systems utilise the same master cylinder. (Dunno about the forthcoming ZR-1, however.)

HI there,
Allthebest, c4c5

Not to question your expertise - but why are vendors including and charging for caliper relocating brackets when going from stock to Z51 size rotors?
thanks,
chris

Hi there,
My apologies, the brackets and rotors are different dimensions. Calipers and spindles are the same.
The information I was given was incorrect.
The change is NOT the thickness of the rotor, but the DIAMETER.
Allthebest, c4c5

Just a heads up on the Z51 drilled and slotted rotors. They collect brake dust and rust in the vents as you drive, when you wash them that will liquefy and drip out onto the inside of the rims. Nothing you do short of taking off the wheel and rotating the rotor while blowing out the vents will get rid of the slinging of what looks like tobacco spit on the inside of your wheels.

My suggestion is to get zinc or cadmium plated slotted and/or dimpled rotors. The surface tension holds water in the drilled rotors and it blows out through the vents onto the wheels as soon as you hit the road. I’m running a set of just slotted on the front of my truck and they are working out nicely.

This afternoon I’m taking off the wheels and cleaning them again, got caught in one of these flash rainstorms this week.

Just a heads up on the Z51 drilled and slotted rotors. They collect brake dust and rust in the vents as you drive, when you wash them that will liquefy and drip out onto the inside of the rims. Nothing you do short of taking off the wheel and rotating the rotor while blowing out the vents will get rid of the slinging of what looks like tobacco spit on the inside of your wheels.

My suggestion is to get zinc or cadmium plated slotted and/or dimpled rotors. The surface tension holds water in the drilled rotors and it blows out through the vents onto the wheels as soon as you hit the road. I’m running a set of just slotted on the front of my truck and they are working out nicely.

This afternoon I’m taking off the wheels and cleaning them again, got caught in one of these flash rainstorms this week.

Thanks, I never knew or thought about drilled rotors doing that - I think you may have talked me out of that decision as my current as well as previous vettes have all been daily drivers. Talk about getting caught in rain storms - try living in SC!
chris

Don't want to talk you out of new rotors, I've just had bad cleanup problems with the rust and dust. Like I said, I've got the Powerslot rotors with Hawk ceramic pads and they are great, clean up easy.

I've made the run to SC 2 to 4 times a year since 1988 and have been in the rain storms as well as snow. No biggie, but that's why I have two sets of tires and rims, one set is rain/snow tires.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom