Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z51

Hi there,
Ok, sure, first Z51 is the handling suspension on coupe and convertible. This has 44mm monotube shock absorbers, power steering cooler, larger antisway bars.
The F55 is better for some people, because there is the advantage of being able to have that boulevard ride, with firm ride quality and control when needed.
Now, can you take the best of both worlds???? Not from the factory, unfortunately.
My suggestion here, is that if you want the cornering of Z51, but the control of F55, do the following.
Purchase the F55 ride control system, and then add FE4 anti sway bars from the ZO6.
This will give you 9/10ths Z51, with the adjustability that you would like, yet still corner like a race car.
I hope that this helps, c4c5:hb

The F55 ride system must be very expensive to add to an existing car.

I opted for adding the 2002 Z06 front and rear sway bars to the Z51 suspension I already have, then added 18" front wheels. I found a set of used wheels, kept the 18", then sold the 4 17" w/20% rubber to a Camaro owner. I needed new tires anyway. I bought Michelin Pilot XGT-Z4's. I had to adjust alignment a bit. In then end, it cost me the price of the tires for the swap.

This car handles absolutely great. Harsh enough to satisfy the ride requirements I love in a Corvette, and the cornering is awsome!!

Chuck

If you add the FE4 sway bars from the Z06 on top of a F55, would that void some of the warranty coverage?

Ok, which is better? F55 + FE4 from Z06 OR Z51 + FE4 from the Z06?

HI there,
Well, first, do you like the handling and ride of the Z51, or would you more like the adjustability of the F55????
If a boulevard cruise type ride is something that you do not need, then the Z51 would probably be your best bet.
Then, just add FE4 sway bars, and you are complete.
This mod should void NO warranty, as you would be using GM components.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Thanks for all your insight/advise. I should be putting my order soon. I haven't completely decided which color. I'm torn between Torch Red and Electron Blue....although I"m leaning towards Rorch Red....Oh wells.....THANKS AGAIN !

Hey c4c5spec, I would like more info on the oem ps cooler. Is it a easy add-on ?
I've added 02 z51 bars to my 01 base supension and am quite pleased.

F55 is simply the option Magnetic Slective Ride Control added to a car with base springs and stabilizer bars.

Z51 is higher rate springs, higher rate stabilizer bars, specific fixed-valve shocks and a power steering cooler.

Z06 (FE4) gets a bigger-yet front bar, a stiffer-yet rear spring and its own unique shocks.

I've just completed a 6 week-long project of writing an in-depth technical story on MR for the C5 Registry. It will be out in the spring 03 issue of the Registry's magazine.

Just today I spoke by phone with Corvette's lead ride-and-handling engineer, Mike Neal, and he told me that for F55 buyers who want more aggressive handling, the best bet is to simply add the Z51 stabilizer bars. Neal has built some development cars that way and says they work great in the hands of a very aggressive driver.

On a car with base springs, which MR cars have, I'd not use the Z06 front bar as it will actually be enough front roll stiffness to cause excessive understeer.

Hib, you're breakin' my heart...I just added '02 Z06 bars to my '01 coupe base suspension and love it...understeer cuz of the softer shocks or combo with springs??? Will I need to upgrade??? Say it 'aint so!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom