Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: ZF 6 in a 1985???

John '85

Corvette
1985 Red Coupe TKO500 Z51
Now that I am having problems with my 4+3, see below (pops out of 2nd gear) I am looking at options, Will a ZF 6 speed fit into my '85? I have read about the Richmond ROD, but price is always an issue.

There is one little problem and that's the axle ratio. The stock ratio in an 85 manual is 3.07 and that isn't going to work very well with the ZF's 2.68 first gear. Also, the sixth gear will be too tall to use with an early L98. You'll need to also change the axle ratio to 3.45 and change the calibration in the ECM to reflect that.

If your 4+3 is popping out of gear, that's a problem in the gear box section which is just a Super T10. It will be far less expensive to pull the trans, remove the O.D. then repair the four-speed trans.

There is one little problem and that's the axle ratio. The stock ratio in an 85 manual is 3.07 and that isn't going to work very well with the ZF's 2.68 first gear. Also, the sixth gear will be too tall to use with an early L98. You'll need to also change the axle ratio to 3.45 and change the calibration in the ECM to reflect that.

If your 4+3 is popping out of gear, that's a problem in the gear box section which is just a Super T10. It will be far less expensive to pull the trans, remove the O.D. then repair the four-speed trans.

attachment.php
:thumb

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom