Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Daily Driver

LMN8R

Corvette
1998 Black Coupe
Is it a sin to drive one of these things as a daily driver? I'm sure that technically they're a fine car for such use, but what do you all think about this practice? Should these historic cars be driven in a more limited fashion?

It is absolutely not a sin to use a ZR-1 as a daily driver, there are many owners who do. To each their own.

Personally, I rarely drive my car to work but I do drive it three to four times a week even if its only for 40 minutes or so, I love it everytime I'm in it.

Seems to me that the ZR-1 is one of the best cars to get if you want to daily drive an exotic car. Getting enjoyment out of one is certainly no sin. :)

How does the LT-5 hold up to this type of use, and is it difficult or costly to repair?

LMN8R said:
How does the LT-5 hold up to this type of use, and is it difficult or costly to repair?
That's why it seems to be the most sensible exotic. They are very reliable and durable, and don't have any highly expensive maintenance like timing belt changes, etc. You won't spend more on maintenance than you spent to buy the car, which isn't true of a lot of 80's exotics...

195,000 miles of daily driving and enjoyment. Its getting a few extra horses right now but it will go back into daily uses as soon as its home again.

Tyler

Tyler Townsley said:
195,000 miles of daily driving and enjoyment. Its getting a few extra horses right now but it will go back into daily uses as soon as its home again.

Tyler

Very cool. I'm not the ZR1 authority figure but I think there's a 200K++ mile ZR1 out there too. Just a testiment to the durability.

FS

Actually, I've heard from many ZR-1 owners that it is good for the engine to drive it often, and open it up, as it keeps the secondaries from getting gummed up. A well driven Z will actually run better.

Plus don't forget the LT-5's 24 hour endurance record. It was definitely made to be driven hard. I know of many high mileage ZR-1's out there.

LMN8R said:

poor poor man who has lied to you?

I have driven my ZR1 daily since I bought it in 2001, The only time that it wasnt driven daily was when I was in Iraq totaling 17 months time, but I have gone from 28,000 miles when I bought him to just today 59,050 loved every minute of it.

The only thing I have had to change was the water pump, I still have the same clutch that was in this thing when I bought it and I do not baby this car.

Oh dont forget tires I have burned through a couple of sets so far that can be expensive!

What are the bad things that happen to the engine, and what do you do about it when these bad things happen?

LMN8R said:
What are the bad things that happen to the engine, and what do you do about it when these bad things happen?
Do you mean common bad things? It seems the common things are just ancilliaries to the engine. The starter can go especially if someone washes the motor. There are a lot of places to have vacuum leaks due to the secondary system. Fuel injectors, especially on the early cars, seem to fare poorly if the car is not driven much. Clutch cylinder problems are not uncommon, though not a common problem either.

Basically you fix them. That's what you'd do about any bad thing I'd suppose. As said, the drivers do better. If you want one for a daily driver, get one that was a driver, at least that would be my two cents. But the ones that sit are hardly time-bombs.

My car wasn't a driver. I changed the injectors and fixed the secondary vacuum system. And changed the original plugs and wires. But the car was perfectly driveable the way I bought it, it just wasn't making the power or quite as smooth as it is now.

I would say as far as 10-15 year old cars go, it's a solid group of cars to be choosing from, though obviously some cars are in better shape than others.

91King said:
It is absolutely not a sin to use a ZR-1 as a daily driver, there are many owners who do. To each their own.

Personally, I rarely drive my car to work but I do drive it three to four times a week even if its only for 40 minutes or so, I love it everytime I'm in it.

Craig, how's my old car running? If you haven't seen the big end of the speedo then you're missing out. Besides she really likes it at 180! ; ) BTW, that's 'ol #1813's speedo in my avatar during BBORR 2002.

Paul Cavins

P.S. Your/my old exhaust is now on my newly acquired '92 Z Aqua/Gray #474

zipnz said:
Craig, how's my old car running? If you haven't seen the big end of the speedo then you're missing out. Besides she really likes it at 180! ; ) BTW, that's 'ol #1813's speedo in my avatar during BBORR 2002.

Paul Cavins

P.S. Your/my old exhaust is now on my newly acquired '92 Z Aqua/Gray #474

Paul

The car has run well. I have driven it about 14,000 since I've had it. Its currently at EES getting a 402 treatment. It should really scream when I get it back.

160 is my high water mark so far. I plan on doing BBORR next spring, but I don't think I am going for 180 this time, I want to be able to come back the following year ;) . If the car is done I may try the Texas mile this fall, but I don't think I will have the car back in time.

Funny about the exhaust, Ray had asked me if I the exhaust was off 1813 and when I told him yes he said he knew what he was getting. I put a B&B exhaust on last July.

I saw where you sold the Callaway so I wondered if you were going to get back in the ZR-1 game sometime.

I contemplated selling mine and getting a new Z06, but I just couldn't do it. You took great car of the car as have I, and the thoughts of a highy modded LT5 kept swirling around my head to the point that I had to do it.

Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom