Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 mentioned in arcticle about horsepower.

Aurora40

Corvette
1990 red on red ZR-1
http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102146

Today 225 hp comes in ordinary family sedans, so it’s hard to remember that less than 20 years ago a BMW M5 made 285 hp. A bottomless bank account 15 years ago would buy you only a little better than twice that Mustang’s power: 450 hp in the Porsche 959 or 478 hp in the Ferrari F40. The ZR-1 “King of the Hill” boasted 405 hp and had a valet key to restrict output to 250 hp, lest anyone get hurt.

Interesting perspective...

... on hp #'s by AW. I'm amazed at the electronic sophistication of the systems that come with all the hp today. It's not like you are just buying big hp and no safety net. I mean to say that if you look at all the advancements in vehicle control that are part of the electronics of modern cars it is a marvel. Most daily driver cars with big hp have built in systems to protect the user from getting in over their heads & crashing. I sometimes wish my 90 Z had an anti-lock/traction control option like my 93 T-bird. I think it would help me feel better about probing the car's mechanical grip and where the limit is to be found and what to expect as you approach the limit. I should have thought of that before I bought mine as a later Z would have that stuff. It's just a personal observation & not a knock on the equipment. It's more a knock on the operator, too rusty & out of touch too long! :D Tom.

Very interesting... especially the shuttle and the aircraft carrier rated hp...

All of this begs the question... where would the LT5 be today with torque and hp ? No doubt it would be at least 500 hp with varible cam timing and head work...

ZRXMAX said:
All of this begs the question... where would the LT5 be today with torque and hp ? No doubt it would be at least 500 hp with varible cam timing and head work...

GM had a handful of these motors built to be used in 96. They were tossed in the garbage, literally.

At the aluminum casting foundry where I work, we produced the first production blocks, heads, and a couple of other castings for the LT-5. Got to see several engines on the test cell at Mercury Marine in Stillwater, Ok. where they were machined and assembled, but they never would let me behind the wheel of one of their demo cars. The President of our company ended up buying one, but he wouldn't let me drive his either.........imagine that.:cry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom