Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 modding

• Thread starter Thread starter Brett
  • Start date Start date
B

Brett

Since the ZR-1 is a fairly rare, one of a kind car, what does modding do to it's short term/long term value? Is it frowned upon?

If I could have any Corvette right now it would be the ZR-1, but I would be hesitant to mod it.

Brett

Absolutely - it is sac-religious to modify a Z - those who do so are just crazy speed fanatics, and no amount of horsepower will ever satisfy these crazy bastards!!!:D

As to your estimate on future values - I'm not sure that the value of Z's could go much lower, so why worry?

DDSLT5 said:
Absolutely - it is sac-religious to modify a Z - those who do so are just crazy speed fanatics, and no amount of horsepower will ever satisfy these crazy bastards!!!:D

As to your estimate on future values - I'm not sure that the value of Z's could go much lower, so why worry?

I'll :drink to that. Now where did I put that money for my Jeal 415 or that SGC 427 :D

When I got mine, I had every intention of leaving it stock. Then you start reading these forums and seeing other ZR-1 cars with mods and it starts! So now after headers, 3 inch B&B with the x-pipe, My car is currently at the Vette Doctors getting a port and polish job up top and chip! Looking forward to some more extra HP. Hoping to go over 400 rwhp with that job. All bolt on mods can always be returned to original. I have no plans of selling this car anytime soon, so I'll enjoy the extra power :beer

Fort94z said:
When I got mine, I had every intention of leaving it stock. Then you start reading these forums and seeing other ZR-1 cars with mods and it starts! So now after headers, 3 inch B&B with the x-pipe, My car is currently at the Vette Doctors getting a port and polish job up top and chip! Looking forward to some more extra HP. Hoping to go over 400 rwhp with that job. All bolt on mods can always be returned to original. I have no plans of selling this car anytime soon, so I'll enjoy the extra power :beer

How much is the vette doctor work going to cost you for port, polish and chip?

The ZR1 is not rare enough to worry about doing mods to it. Besides, worrying about future value of a car is a lost cause in most cases. I say get one, mod or leave stock. Whatever you do, don't let it become a trailer queen. :nono

Their price is $2,500. for porting and polishing of the plenum, injector housing and istalling a 63 mm throttle body. Also included is a coustom prom and the dyno tuning. :)

Jeff,
The guys have to make a buck. I'm sure I could have removed the parts and hade them shipped out for the work but I don't have the time right now to do the work. I sure I'll get a good job from the Doctors.

I know they have to make a buck, but it's worth it to me to do the removal myself, as I did with my engine......plus it frees up money to be spent elsewhere.

I with the bolt on stuff. B&B with X pipe makes it sound nice, K&N so it can breath, and 4.30's so it can get me there. All returnable to pure stock.

DDSLT5 said:

:J :J :L :dance :BOW ;LOL

Brett said:
Since the ZR-1 is a fairly rare, one of a kind car, what does modding do to it's short term/long term value? Is it frowned upon?

If I could have any Corvette right now it would be the ZR-1, but I would be hesitant to mod it.

Brett

I was the same way when I first got my car I wasn't goint to mod it. But I just couldn't help myself. So far there is Magnaflow x-pipe with race series straight thru mufflers, Breathless Vortex ram air system, Doug Rippie chip and the Mark C. stainless steel intake duct. I also removed the plenum and relocated all of the vaccuum components that I could and installed silicone hoses. The next issue is an electric water pump to reduce the engine drag, headers and some porting with 4:11 gears. Thay should do it. I've got 55k miles on the clock now and when I get to 80k or so It's a 415 for me!!!!:J I dynoed the car with the current changes and posted 366rwhp and 360rwt.

Re: Re: ZR-1 modding

YESZREE said:
The next issue is an electric water pump to reduce the engine drag, headers and some porting with 4:11 gears. Thay should do it. I've got 55k miles on the clock now and when I get to 80k or so It's a 415 for me!!!!:J I dynoed the car with the current changes and posted 366rwhp and 360rwt.

So who makes an electric water pump for an lt5?

I don't know if anyone has done or does an electric water pump for our cars, but it sounds like a good idea if someone could engineer a kit to make it work, Get a shorter or longer belt, re route it, and put a meziere or a csi in the pump body?

Would save Us all a little money, hell, maybe I will do it!!!!

Have never even looked at but I am very happy with that mod on my LT1 caprice clone. That water pump was originally run off the camshaft directly via a coupler. I think I got seat of the pants improvement, if the buttmeter is accurate.

I haven't studied my zr1 much but have any of you looked into it?

Rick =)

3chevys.JPG

i just finished helping one of my friends put the heads, intake, and carb back on his big block nova strip car and he has a regular water pump with an electic motor turning the waterpump so it's not bogging the motor down (like it really would with a 700hp big block 468:) ) i thought it was pretty ingenious how he did it. you guys might want to try something like that if you got room down in the engine bay.

Re: Re: ZR-1 modding

YESZREE said:
The next issue is an electric water pump to reduce the engine drag, headers and some porting with 4:11 gears.

Not going to say it's impossible, but have you looked and seen the size of a LT5 waterpump......?

Lane Goldstein has an electric water pump on his 431 ci motor. He removed the impeller, tapped the boss and brings the water in that way. Not sure of the brand of pump he is using.

Tyler

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom