Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR1 Conversion

vette8787

I have a 87 350 TPI, haven't started to research but what's the better way to go take the original motor to a 383 with LT4 intake or convert to a ZR1 drive train/suspension. I would be really interested in any ZR1's for sale especially any black widows.

It would be less costly to buy a ZR1 than to transplant a LT5 into your '87.
Upgrading your existing engine would the most economical way to increase HP.
You won't find many Black Widow cars for sale, and if you do be prepared to open your wallet wide.
That being said, my dear friend Mr. Jim VanDorn is offering up "The Weekndr" up for sale. (JVD... What Are You Thinking???)
http://www.automastersofbg.com/Weekndr.pdf

Good luck on your quest for power.

TomC
"Crabs"
'90 ZR1 #792

I have a 87 350 TPI, haven't started to research but what's the better way to go take the original motor to a 383 with LT4 intake or convert to a ZR1 drive train/suspension. I would be really interested in any ZR1's for sale especially any black widows.

What most people do is..:upthumbs
measure very carefully and use masking tape to make sure the stickers are in the right place..
then..press firmly
:confused
ta dah
:beer
you have just built a ZR1 ,....
at least equal to a lot ZR1's that you see on the road..
i responded to an add about one for sale and it was all stickers :W....lol:bash:rotfl

I have a 90 & 92 ZR1 and there are so many small differences between the LT and Z cars as to make the swap undoable without a parts car. While anything is possible with enough money, do NOT start this project unless you are a very experianced mechanic and electrition. Swap in a nice small block and drive the car.

The reason you can't do it without a "parts car" is not that the base cars and the ZR-1s had different suspension...they didn't. Other than springs, stabilizer bars and wheels, the 88-96 suspension is the same.

The question, however, is about an 87 and a ZR-1. The early C4 (84-87) suspension and the late C4 suspension (88-96) are not the same and the difference is more than springs, bars and wheels.

It's wouldn't be practical to try and adapt the late C4 suspension to an early car and...there wouldn't be that much of a performance advantage in doing so.

Why not just go with an LS2 swap?

Would be a lot less money and would make for a mean sleeper...

The early C4 (84-87) suspension and the late C4 suspension (88-96) are not the same and the difference is more than springs, bars and wheels.
The newer is wider.

Why not just go with an LS2 swap? Would be a lot less money and would make for a mean sleeper...
Also more expensive than building a "sleeper" from the '87s engine. Neither LS is a simple bolt-in.

My '84 would be a sleeper IF it didn't have the nasty-a** idle and loud Flowmasters. My Corvette expert mechanic tuned this car and has serviced and reworked many ZR-1s; also owns a pristine one. He vowed that my lowly 409 would embarrass most ZRs, badly.

Also, consider driveline strength or add to my broken rear gears picture collection.

Wheelspin saves rear ends! :w

a 9" ford would do the trick nicely..if that's the direction your going in

The newer is wider.

Also more expensive than building a "sleeper" from the '87s engine. Neither LS is a simple bolt-in.

My '84 would be a sleeper IF it didn't have the nasty-a** idle and loud Flowmasters. My Corvette expert mechanic tuned this car and has serviced and reworked many ZR-1s; also owns a pristine one. He vowed that my lowly 409 would embarrass most ZRs, badly.

Also, consider driveline strength or add to my broken rear gears picture collection.

Wheelspin saves rear ends! :w
have you ever taken her to fontana >? what did she run . if not why not take her on the 5th. i will be there with my zr1 a white 92 if you can make it :upthumbs

Jim VanDorn in Kentucky has one of the 8 Black Widow's for sale. Do a search for Automasters of Bowling Green and that should give you a website to contact him about the purchase of the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom