Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR1 manual transmission trouble?

GA.Shadowland

Corvette
2006 C6 Z06 Machine Silver
Any truth to the rumor that the 7 speed manual can not handle the torque of the ZR1 engine? I ordered a ZR1 in Nov '17 and the order has not advanced further than code 1100. Another customer is in the same spot. Both orders are for manual transmissions.

This is the only place where I've read that rumor.

What is the source for it?

Any truth to the rumor that the 7 speed manual can not handle the torque of the ZR1 engine? I ordered a ZR1 in Nov '17 and the order has not advanced further than code 1100. Another customer is in the same spot. Both orders are for manual transmissions.
Gene,

It has nothing to do with transmissions. The manual transmission is fine and they are still building ZR1s with manual transmissions.

The reason why it seems like orders are delayed is because it depends upon allocation, and which dealership you place your order with. Some dealerships that do not do a high volume of annual Corvette sales like Kerbeck or MacMulkin Chevrolet does, may only be able to place one order for a ZR1 in a calendar year.

So if a dealership only has allocation for one ZR1 order - the order can be placed into the system, but it will not be picked up by GM until GM gives the allocation to that dealership. What dictates when GM will give the allocation to that dealership? It's totally up to GM and there is no rhyme or reason.

MacMulkin Chevrolet was given the largest amount of ZR1 allocation out of any other Chevrolet dealership in the world. That allocation was based upon the number of Z06 sales they had. So they were given allocation for 64 ZR1s. However, ZR1 allocation is only given to Chevrolet dealerships once per month - at the end of the month. So for example - a dealership may place 5 ZR1 orders this month - but GM may only give them allocation for 4 ZR1 orders - so that last order is going to sit at 1100 until GM decides to pick it up at another allocation round.

That's why, you stand a better chance of getting your order placed and accepted with one of the top Corvette dealers in the world, vs. going to a smaller Chevrolet dealership that may only be given allocation for a hand full of orders in a single calendar year.

Thanks for the detailed response.

My dealer was given 3 allocations for this year...and I'm #3. The 1st one came in about 2 months ago. # 2 and #3 (me) are stuck in status 1100. Your explanation makes sense for sure. I think the dealer doesn't want to explain it as you have for obvious reasons. In San Antonio, they sell a lot of trucks...but do manage to sell a fair number of Corvettes. I've been a loyal customer to them and don't want to cancel the ZR1 and switch to a high-volume dealer back east. I'll just wait it out. No road trips this summer as I sold my Z06 to my son in Florida. It's hard to be Vette-less.

My dealer was given 3 allocations for this year...and I'm #3. The 1st one came in about 2 months ago. # 2 and #3 (me) are stuck in status 1100. Your explanation makes sense for sure. I think the dealer doesn't want to explain it as you have for obvious reasons. In San Antonio, they sell a lot of trucks...but do manage to sell a fair number of Corvettes. I've been a loyal customer to them and don't want to cancel the ZR1 and switch to a high-volume dealer back east. I'll just wait it out. No road trips this summer as I sold my Z06 to my son in Florida. It's hard to be Vette-less.
A dealer can't tell you exactly when your order is going to be accepted by GM. They can give you a ball park idea depending on the type of vehicle and the allocation they receive (Chevy Malibu, vs Corvette), but they really can't give you any specificity - especially when it's a very limited production vehicle like the ZR1 - where only so much allocation was given out to certain dealers, and that allocation is only given once per month at the end of the month.

So you can see why, in the grand scheme of things - it doesn't matter how good of a customer you are to a dealership. It doesn't matter if you've bought only one car or fifty cars from them. The dealerships are at the mercy of GM when it comes to ordering vehicles and allocation.

If a dealership says to you: "yes! Just write a check for a $10,000 deposit on your ZR1 order and you're order will get placed ASAP. It usually takes 6-8 weeks between the time the order is placed to when it gets delivered to us!"...don't write the check and bring your business to one of the larger Corvette dealers who know what they're doing, receive a larger amount of Corvette allocation, and will tell you the truth:

"....yes, we will take your deposit for a ZR1 order. ZR1 allocation is given out once per month, at the end of the month. As soon as we receive that allocation from GM, we will place your order. Once your order is placed in the system, it takes 6-8 weeks from the time the order is placed AND accepted by GM to delivery of the car here at the dealership. We will keep you updated on your order in the system as its status changes from the time the order is placed, then accepted, and then built."

There's a little more detail that goes into it, but you get the point.

ZR1 Production

Still waiting for my ZR1 order to be produced...order it in Nov '17. My dealer tells me 2 part vendors had some issues that have slowed the production schedule. I find that hard to believe. Anyone hear anything along those lines? Chevrolet.com tells me order was accepted by GM but no movement beyond 1100 status. Very frustrated.

Still waiting for my ZR1 order to be produced...order it in Nov '17. My dealer tells me 2 part vendors had some issues that have slowed the production schedule. I find that hard to believe. Anyone hear anything along those lines? Chevrolet.com tells me order was accepted by GM but no movement beyond 1100 status. Very frustrated.
The production schedule has not slowed down. In fact, when ZR1 production began, they were being built Monday through Thursday. About a month ago, they started building them on Friday as well.

If you look at the ZR1 Registry here on the site, you'll see that they have been averaging 6-8 ZR1's built per day.

I checked your order number and Chevrolet.com is correct. The order was RECEIVED at 1100 status - but NOT officially accepted by GM as of this date. Once the order hits status 2000, that indicates that GM has accepted the order.

For more information regarding the status codes, see this thread stuck at the top of the forum:

Order Status Codes

I say we give Rob a "happy face" award for explaining Chevrolet confusing manner in which it advises (to not advises, as the case might be) customers as to order status.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom