Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZZ502 conversion,those with experience Pls chime in

C

Chuck-75

Im real close to making the next step in purchasing a ZZ502 for my 75 vert. Id like to ask questions of those that have done this ?, im going to rebuild my TH400 and get a new Aluminum radiator with electric fans, Id like to go with a serpentine belt and keep the power steering,altenator, and also the A/C, ... questions are?,what type of stall converter?, should i stay with the original rear gears?(I think I have 3.08), looking for sugestions about the mounting hardware for the accessories to acomplish the serpentine belt system, those who have done this conversion,what problems am I going to run into?, I plan to upgrade the suspension to urethane and new ball joints and install 550 Lbs springs with a 1 1/8 in bar in the front, the rear will get a new mono spring and sway bar also, .................I dont take the car on long drives and Im looking to get strong performance and reliability, I plan on Hooker side mount headers, :eyerole I think Ive covered most of my plans but would like to be prepared as much as posible before I get the new crate engine and end up turning it into a coffee table? :cry . Tks for all the help Ive recieved in the past guys ... :w

the conversion is time consuming and can lead to unexpected expenses, but it sounds like you have most things covered. the rear gear is a little tall for performance, but since you staying with a three speed it will help with economy. the 502 makes enough torque to pull a 3.08 and still be a fun car to drive. March makes a very nice serpentine conversion kit, i like mine. the only problem is the power steering fill cap is under the water pump, but i am told this not a problem with the big block set-up. another route is to get the serp brackets off of a '90 or newer vehicle. they don't look as nice, but there are bunches sitting around in junk yards. a 2400 stall would compliment the 502 with 3.08 gears. going big on the stall allows slippage and makes heat at cruising speeds. heat is about the only krytonite for a th400. your exhaust is good, look into some spirol baffles, the Hooker stuff is to restrictive. a bigger fuel line may be needed as well. other than that, have fun with the project. it should rip when you're done. Brian

Gents, I'm in the process as well of collecting information on swapping a BB into my 79. Chuck-75, you mentioned using a 90 or newer serpenting system. Can you elaborate on what is needed to install this system?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom