Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hypertech or jet chip

Racer86y

Corvette
84 2 tone silver
Which is the best?Hypertech or jet chip?I am going to put one of these in my 84 crossfire vette.Asking for opinions please.:W

Stand out in the street and set fire to your $$$:thumb . Will have same effect
Tricks computer into running richer and turns fans on earlier .Claims are greatly exaggerated;

I have an ADS chip and a 180 degree therostat in my 84 crossfire. It does run cooler so you will pick up a few extra HP with a cooler running engine. Have you heard about the "renegade intake manifold" for the crossfire engine? Made by "dynamic crossfire solutions" they claim 33 HP at the rear wheels = roughly 42hp at the engine. I ordered one and will be getting it shortly. It is a direct replacement of your original intake manifold and flows 20% more air. You should check out their website.:thumb

I have an ADS chip and a 180 degree therostat in my 84 crossfire. It does run cooler so you will pick up a few extra HP with a cooler running engine. Have you heard about the "renegade intake manifold" for the crossfire engine? Made by "dynamic crossfire solutions" they claim 33 HP at the rear wheels = roughly 42hp at the engine. I ordered one and will be getting it shortly. It is a direct replacement of your original intake manifold and flows 20% more air. You should check out their website.:thumb
So what to do?I put 89 aluminum 113 heads and 500 lift cam.Besides renegade intake?headers.:puke

Get a custom chip after your mods from PCMforless or similar tuner.
Much better and costs the same and also running cooler will also shorten the life span of your engine and lighten your wallet. By making the car run rich, you burn up cats and plugs, while wasting gas and get maybe 2-3 hp.
Run a heated o2 w/headers, download Datamaster software(you get 20 uses free), then analyze the engine, send info to Tuner and voila, you get a custom tune for your engine, not a generic tune.

Agree with Surfer.

Hypertech chip is generic and does little according to those who have really used it. Custom chips are the way to go with C4's old ECM's that use those semi-primitive codes.

This is only my opinion based on what I have read from various publications who have run articles on how to make the C4's run faster. Engine temperatures were mentioned often.

From what I gather, the L98's run the fastest at around 180 degrees. Unfortunately, it is not as efficient. It is most efficient at 190-200. That is where the oil temperature can do its best at protecting the engine. In addition, it produces the best emissions results at 220. Most watercooled engines produces its best emissions around 220 especially at idle where the beginning of the emissions test phase is. This is one of the reasons manufacturers allow the cooling system to cool an idling engine around 220 to get the best emissions result possible.

Having said that, I think if you are a drag racer and want the maximum possible power from your C4, you would want a 180 degree thermostat and a chip to work with that to keep your engine from going above 200 degrees. If you must pass emissions testing bi-annually, you may want to keep the stock thermostat and stock thermostat cooling temperature.

I do believe that using anything lower than a 180 degree thermostat is hurting your engine since it won't allow oil temperature to get to its proper working temp especially during the cold months.

I do believe that using anything lower than a 180 degree thermostat is hurting your engine since it won't allow oil temperature to get to its proper working temp especially during the cold months.
:thumb
And the oil has to get hot enough to boil off the condensation in the crankcase otherwise sludge forms.
What temp does water boil at.............

temperature

I hear a lot about temperatures, mostly on here. I put a 160 thermastat in my 91. Since then I have driven my girlfriends trailblazer and for whatever reason I started watching temp gauge lol. It runs around 190 - 200 also. Its redline is much higher like 260 so it doesn't look like it's running hot, unlike the corvette that is redlined at like 210-220. I wonder if maybe chevrolet in general runs high?

I put a 160 thermastat in my 91.
Why ?
Unless you had the fans ON temps reprogrammed in the chip they will still come on at original factory setting .All you get is longer warm up period
wonder if maybe chevrolet in general runs high?
As noted above , engine running parameters are dictated by emissions.Since '86 at least , fan ON temp setting in C4's is 225 F min.The aux fan (if fitted ) does not run until 235F.
GM states to stop engine and let cool down if temp goes over 260F. Modern engines are different to old skool engines were 180F was considered hot

Stand out in the street and set fire to your $$$:thumb . Will have same effect
Tricks computer into running richer and turns fans on earlier .Claims are greatly exaggerated;

Send me the money. ;LOL

Since then I have driven my girlfriends trailblazer and for whatever reason I started watching temp gauge lol. It runs around 190 - 200 also. Its redline is much higher like 260 so it doesn't look like it's running hot, unlike the corvette that is redlined at like 210-220. I wonder if maybe chevrolet in general runs high?

Here's another interesting tidbit of info. I have 2007 Honda sportbike with a DOHC, 16-valve motor. It is every bit as modern as today's car engines, probably even more as it produces quite a bit of power for its displacement and is known in the industry to be virtually bulletproof and very reliable. It has a digital coolant temperature gauge and I like watching that sucker when I'm running hard.

The interesting part is it runs much like the C4 engine temps! Without the aid of the electric fans, it will maintain an engine temperature of 180-190 degrees while its cruising along with enough airflow going through its radiator. However, in traffic or hot days climbing up steep mountains it will run at 215-220 degrees. If you let it sit for long periods idling, the cooling fans will go on at 225 degrees to bring engine temps back down to around 215. But at continuous running at speed it likes 180-190. It is a subject that is heavily discussed in the forums specifically for this type of motorcycle. The bike has been in production for a while and all of them run the same way stock.

Why dont you give Brian and TBIchips.com a call/email go to www.tbichips.com he can probably burn you one just for your car and not be too bad on price. hes always done good by me.:beer

I installed a hypertech chip about 4 yrs ago in my 92. What I gained, well a cooler running engine for one. But some of that can be attributed to the dual core radiator I installed. The fans come on at lower temps to control operating temps, and I also installed a 180 thermostat, but that doesn't really control temps. A dyno run on a chasis dyno has shown my engines output at 275 rwhp. The air/ fuel ratio was fairly consistent below 3k rpm approx 14.5% and when the engine hit 3k rpm, leveled out between 12 - 12.7% during the 3 runs that day. It could probably be fine tuned with a custom tune, we'll see what the future brings as I am considering an LS engine swap, or rebuild of the LT1.

Bottom line, no the hypertech chip didn't hurt my engine, by drastically lowering engine operating temps and creating sludge buildup. No, it didn't hurt my emmissions test, a requirement in my area. The last test, a yr ago passed with very low numbers, in fact the technician commented on how clean the emmissions were. No my mileage has not suffered. I recently avg'd 29.5 mpg on a road trip to Las Vegas where I ran an avg speed of 75 mph, and occassionally hit 100 +. I think there are a lot of myths perpetuated by folks on the internet who really don't know, and only parrot what they heard from someone else on the internet.

Oh, and the main reason I put a chip in was to control some excess engine temps, you see here in Phoenix, during our summers, outside temps exceed 110 degrees pretty much everyday from June thru Aug. Last summer the highest engine temp I saw was 210. OAT was about 116. Before the chip & radiator, I had seen coolant temps as high as 240.

I think there are a lot of myths perpetuated by folks on the internet who really don't know, and only parrot what they heard from someone else on the internet.
If you read the generic " one size fit all " aftermarket chips ( As I have done ) and compare them to a stock tune , you can see the minimal changes done for the price they are asking.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom