Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shock reccomendations for 63

BLACK MOON

Corvette
15 Shark Grey 3LZ Z06
My 63 has a 360# composite spring and the car bounces like crazy. I've tried a few different brands of shocks and none seem to help. Can anyone reccomend a good stiff shock? Also is my 320 too light?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sal

Yes, of course we have shocks on our cars but not everyone has the spring you have. When it was sold to you did they, or do they have an idea what shock would work? That would be my first direction to get a good setup.

They sold me GR2's which I have now. It bounces like no shocks at all.

You actually have two problems...

1) In the rear you need more aggressive damping because the plastic spring lacks the inherant damping of the leaf spring

2) Because of the way you drive you may need more aggressive damping.

I have a 71 with a plastic rear spring from Vette Brakes and I run Bilstein gas shocks with "Sport" valving. That combination has proven pretty good solution to the rear damping issue.

As for the 360 or 320 rate spring, I think a small block car works well with a 300, 320 or 330-lb/in. spring. While big block cars need to start with a 330 and really hot Big-Blocks might need a 360 lb/in unit.

Thanks Hib,
I was wondering about the Bilsteins. They have a heavy duty and a sport. You think the sport is better for my application.

I'm not very suspension savy and just started driving the car again after having a stroker built for it (383). I looks like an old clunker bouncing down the road with the KYB's on it.
Thanks again
Sal

spring and shock recommendations

I run a 330# VBP spring in my 63 coupe with SPAX adjustable shocks. Car rides well and handles well as far as I am concerned. I don't have the "bounce" so many people complain of.

The SPAX shocks are externally adjustable and have 28 adjustment positions. I initially ran them at just past half way (18) but have increased the dampening to 22 on the front (running 460# coil springs there) and 24 on the rear.

Rich:beer

shocks

Thanks Rich. Where did you buy the Spax? Are they pricy?:)

Direct from SPAX they are running $122.00 US per corner, front and rear.

You can find them on line, just Google Spax Shocks. They may be available locally, depends. When I purchased mine they were part of a group purchase through a source in Maryland.

Rich:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom