Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 jacking points/jack stand locations

Green LT1

Corvette
1997 White Coupe
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have not seen a complete discussion of the best locations to jack a C4 (both front and back), and where to place jack stands after the car is in the air. I need to take all the wheels off of my 96 coupe for general cleaning, and I want to check the brake pads and rotors. I am very cautious due to a tire shop jacking my car on the floorpan near the factory jack points (IDIOTS). Are there any diagrams or pictures out there to show jacking or jack stand points in detail?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a scan from the factory manual (95) showing the jack points. If you would like it let me know your e-mail address. Mine is roman67844@cs.com

what I have alsways done is just jack up the rear axle put stands on the axle alittle in from the springs. And up front just put the stands on the control arms. You could even use rags to help protect it even more.

This Web page has a good description of the process and nice pictures as well.

How to Jack Up a ZR-1

The car in the example is a ZR-1 but the method described should work for any C4.

If I'm under a car, I'm havin' so much stuff under it for safety, that a snake would have a hard time gettin' through yup! Call me scared if you want, but you'll never call me a pancake! :L

So, you jack up one side at a time?

I will be needing to jack the front end up so I can pull the knock sensor and oil cooler lines to flush the coolant. I was thinking of jacking it up via the K member.

But I did try jacking my firebird up via the K member, and I couldn't get it high enough to put in stands.

But I did try jacking my firebird up via the K member, and I couldn't get it high enough to put in stands.
Jacking off the X member is fine if you can get a jack under there.May have to drive front wheels onto something to get jack under. Once in air place stands on frame section behind wheels, plenty of room under car

My 2 cents. I was told by a GM service tech to NEVER jack with the top on. Mine broke that way.

I always use hockey pucks on my jacks too. Then I have four jack stands and keep the two floor jacks under there just in case.

I have a PDF file and lots of photos in case anyone is interested.

Send me an e-mail on my avatar and I'll send it to ya.

Paul

what I have alsways done is just jack up the rear axle put stands on the axle alittle in from the springs. And up front just put the stands on the control arms. You could even use rags to help protect it even more.

Uh....the Corvette in question is a C4 and in the back (and the front, too, for that matter) it doesn't have "springs".

It has one transverse leaf spring for each end of the car. It has no "axle" which can be supported by jack stands "a little in from the springs." The last Corvette to have a rear axle like that was built in 1962. You try and jack/support a C4 like that or even sorta like that and you may damage the car. Also, incorrectly jacking or supporting the car can result in the car "falling" off the jacks...maybe landing on the person(s) doing the jacking. Not good.

People, when we give advice on jacking and supporting cars...there's a significant safety issue involved. Thus, when giving advice, the person offering the suggestion needs to actually know something about the car in question. May I suggest to those who don't know what they are talking about in re: a safety issue such as this–you're better off not posting.

As how to properly and safely jack and support a C4 Corvette, the service manual scan "Rabbit" has is a good start and the aforementioned "How to jack a ZR-1" is, also, very good. Follow those instructions and you will lift and support your C4 in a safe manner.

Hib, I have jacked my car MANY times. How dare you claim I do not know what I am talking about?

Why don't you take a hike pal. You annoy the crap out of me.

Hib, I have jacked my car MANY times. How dare you claim I do not know what I am talking about?

Why don't you take a hike pal. You annoy the crap out of me.

Dude, chill out. I don't think Hib was referring to you in any manner. Take a look at the quote he was replying too.

What is it with this place lately :mad

The article is a very good start at jacking a C4. What I have done is made 4 ramps out of 2x10's. I basically sandwiched them together staggering. I cut the ends at 45's. I drive the car up on all 4 ramps then lift the car. This gains me about 5 inches to clear the jack.

The biggest problem about using ramps, is that they slide unless they have good grip on the bottom. My driveway works well because the cement is rough. A garage floor may not work due to the ramp sliding.

It takes me about 15 minutes to raise the car. I do it very slow, and am never in a hurry.

Hib "Thus, when giving advice, the person offering the suggestion needs to actually know something about the car in question. May I suggest to those who don't know what they are talking about in re: a safety issue such as this–you're better off not posting."

Dude, YOU chill out. THAT was an insult.

Dude, YOU chill out. THAT was an insult.

It was the truth! Any body reading this thing, takes the easy way out, and doesn't decide to lift the car correctly, and takes the wrong advice gets killed.

Okay. I am not going to get into a urination contest here. I have jacked my C4 up the equivalent of several linear vertical miles. I am always very safe. I worked aircraft for 20 years and never got hurt once. I have worked cars for 40 years and have never got hurt. I have never dinged a jet or a car.

At least I know in my mind that what I am doing is safe.

End of story, game over folks, I ain't biting anymore.

:cool

Cant we all just get along? :L

All Hib was saying was providing advice so Green LT1 can jack his car properly without damaging his vehicle. OR even worse, injuring himself.

Dude, chill out. I don't think Hib was referring to you in any manner. Take a look at the quote he was replying too.

What is it with this place lately :mad(snip)

I didn't notice that "Paul Higg" had posted here until I read the above. Sometimes Paul's stuff is easy to miss. You're right "vetteboy86," the post I was referencing was made by "pthoma1" not "Paul Higg". As for all the nonsense posted after Paul's comment...sometimes around here, you just gotta filter out all the "static."

Someone asked about driving the car up on blocks before I roll the jack under the front...I have to do that because my 95 is lowered enough that, unless I drive it up on blocks, I can't get the jack under it anywhere in the front. I'll admit, there are probably floor jacks with a lower pad height, but the ones I've looked at are, also, lighter duty and I need at least a 2-ton jack for the other vehicles I work on.

With the floor jack, I come in from behind the front wheels because that's the shortest distance. I usually stick a 4" square of wood on the jack pad. I use the front crossmember because it is one of the FSM-recommended lift points.

In the rear, I use the previously-listed "Jack-a-Vette" tool. My understanding is that the "Jack-a-Vette" is no longer made. All it is is a "T" of welded steel plate. You turn it upside down, place the leg of the tee between the exhaust pipes and lift the bottom of the diff housing.

I support the uniframe with wood blocks on my jack stand pads.

I've been jacking my 95 this way since I bought it in 95.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom