Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Goo Gone

O Vette

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe, 1977 Yellow T-Top
The previous owner of my Vette had put letters on the back. They were removed, however, there is residue from adhesive. I want to take it off but, I'm reluctant because I don't want to damage the finish. I read the directions on Goo Gone and it appears it could damage paint finishes. I wonder if GM Adhesive Remover would work or is that stuff intended for weather stripping adhesive. I was also thinking of heating it with a hair dryer. Suggestions anyone?

As I recall, goo gone is an orange oil based product. It should be ok. When they warn about painted surfaces, it is usually aimed at latex and other paints. but you could test it in a hidden spot.

I think that auto paint is much more durable. AND what choice do you have??

I have used it (and naptha- ronsonol) on automotive paint, but sparigly. The most critical part is that you use a 100% cotton rag.

then of course it must be polished the normal way.

I've used Goo Gone for years to get adhesive off of stuff. I usually follow up with polish or wax as soon as it is off.

Lighter fluid works too- especially for getting gum out of carpet.

Hope that helps!

:thumb

Yeah, Goof Off and Goo Gone willll both work without damage to your paint. Heck, I've sparingly (and quickly) used lacquer thinner on late model clear coats with no problems whatsoever, but I would not recommend it to the squeamish or foolish. My '95 C4, for one, has seen that a few times and she's a "Best of Show" car too.;)

Yeah, Goof Off and Goo Gone willll both work without damage to your paint. Heck, I've sparingly (and quickly) used lacquer thinner on late model clear coats with no problems whatsoever, but I would not recommend it to the squeamish or foolish. My '95 C4, for one, has seen that a few times and she's a "Best of Show" car too.;)

hi i use goo gone on all my cars.
works great.
billy:thumb

What To Use?

Believe it or not, WD-40 will probably remove the residue as will rubbing alcohol. With any form of solvent, wash the area with car wash soap and water afterward.

Thanks to all. I think I'll start with WD-40 and if that doesn't work, move on to Goof Off or Goo Gone. I will be careful.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom