Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1.6 rockers on a 1984 vette stock valve covers

Jabramm

Corvette
1984 Z51 Renegade Intake
Does anyone have experience installing 1.6 roller rockers on a stock 1984 corvette? looking at fitment under the valve covers, binding etc.
I found some low priced ones at Summit, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-141707pl/applications/
I will purchase rocker arms that someone who's actually used them on their early C4 with no/minor mods. There are so many choices out there I don't want to spend ~300 bucks for something that causes me grief.
Your experience and recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Be aware that changing to 1.6 ratio rocker arms will increase the load between the cam shaft lobes and your flat tappets. With today's "low zinc" motor oils, this may shorten the life of your camshaft. With a flat tappet camshaft you should be using API Grade SL motor oil, even if you have a low mileage engine.

:w

Thanks for the tip Roy, I'll make sure to do that.
Jim

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I would like to put 1.6 roller rockers on my 85. I read it will work but you have to make sure the particular rockers you buy are the correct size, both width and height and work with the stock studs and head room. Some have said they have to get a thicker valve gasket, or polish off the edges of the rocker to get it to fit the stock valve covers.

I also read that for L98, going to 1.6 on the exhaust with a stock cam makes no difference and that some get mixed 1.6 intake/ 1.5 exhaust sets. Anyone know about that?

I would like to put 1.6 roller rockers on my 85. I read it will work but you have to make sure the particular rockers you buy are the correct size, both width and height and work with the stock studs and head room. Some have said they have to get a thicker valve gasket, or polish off the edges of the rocker to get it to fit the stock valve covers.

I also read that for L98, going to 1.6 on the exhaust with a stock cam makes no difference and that some get mixed 1.6 intake/ 1.5 exhaust sets. Anyone know about that?
Read the reviews of the Rockers I purchased from Summit racing, I included the link in my previous post. One reviewer stated that they worked well in his 85 Corvette, but he didn't give any particulars about how the installation went.

I was planning to put 1.5 roller rockers on my 84.
You need to cut of the 8 tabs that are on the inside of each cover.
Also use an extra valvecovergasket then the rockers will not hot the covers.
But . . . .
You need longer studs , the adjustment nuts of the rockers only go on 2 turns / plus 1 turn preload = 3 turns total. 3 turns doesn't sound right to me.
So studs will have to be pulled and longer studs have to be put in . . . .
So for now I did put on roller tip rockers.
With 1.6 roller rockers you will have the same problem.

I was planning to put 1.5 roller rockers on my 84.
You need to cut of the 8 tabs that are on the inside of each cover.
Also use an extra valvecovergasket then the rockers will not hot the covers.
But . . . .
You need longer studs , the adjustment nuts of the rockers only go on 2 turns / plus 1 turn preload = 3 turns total. 3 turns doesn't sound right to me.
So studs will have to be pulled and longer studs have to be put in . . . .
So for now I did put on roller tip rockers.
With 1.6 roller rockers you will have the same problem.
Thanks for the reply. Exactly the information I was looking for

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom