Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

roller rockers for centerbolt valve covers?

Sorry to hear about your trouble, Rich

My conversion was supposed to be considerably simpler than yours, and yet it still went over budget because of this 7/16" stud, RR issue.

I ended up buying studs, guideplates, RR's, and pushrods all from one vendor who knew what he was doing. Studs, RR's are 7/16". The studs are 3/8" on one end to screw into you're head, so you can still go this way.

Do NOT order anything from Summit and kid yourself that their "techs" know what fits. They do not.

I still have my old 1.6 RR's (crane gold I think--not sure on self aligning) if you want a look.

Did that timing chain help?

When's the assembly going to be done? I wanted to sign up for Sept. at Summit.

Thanks, Moonunit. I posted a reply to him. I want to see the undersides of these arms - looks like some are designed convex (totally round by the pivot) and some have a little area (like a moon at the start of an eclipse :) ) cleared out to fit around the retainers.

Sothpaw - the timing chain helped; I was able to see which part on mine was the fit problem (turned out to be barely a too-small hole in the cam gear). I can give it back next time we meet. On the rockers, I *think* yours are the same ones I have, except mine are silver - I've got the little bow-ties too. If you've got a model number, I can look them up.

As for when assembly will be done, I'm hoping by the end of this month for the engine, middle of June for getting the rest of the engine bay back together, and end of June/middle of July for shakedown stuff. I *hope*. I sure want to do Summit in either September or October (though NOT, this time, on Bonnie's birthday... :) ).

[RICHR]

sounds like a plan! count me in on summit :)

Just posted over there, here is a pic
NewRockers0110.jpg

VS. They are MUCH more compact, and they are a little heavier and Stonger. That is why most people use them
CloseRockersandHead043.JPG

It is best to know exactly what you want from Summit I agree, but there are some very knowedgable people there, kind of a crap shoot, I guess. Not all motor heads are into Vette's or even GM.

Mad-Mic said:
sounds like a plan! count me in on summit :)
Mic, Rich,

Would you prefer Friday at the track (1day) or NASA Va (2-day event)?
FATT is sept 17. NASA is sept 18-19.

Other things being equal, I'd like to try the 2-day to get more time as I am not a fast learner. However, in speaking with them, they are clear in that if the weather is inclimate, you have to race anyway, no exceptions. At least with FATT you can come some other day.

rrubel said:
L98vette1986, you had no probs with those centerbolts and the big arms? Interesting... Yet again I wonder why there are two models. If you call Comp Cams, they just say their party line - one for center, one for perimeter.
[RICHR]
Im using edelbrock heads, and the small stamped steel valve covers from an 87 GTA. The heads may have a slightly different valve location than the stock head.

Sothpaw, I think I'd have difficulty getting a pass for the whole weekend - and I'd expect you would as well since you'll be a *NEW DAD* by that point!

Moonunit, many thanks for the link to the arms - I'm getting them. Your pic with the gold ones - those were self-aligning, right? That's what I have now, but in silver - and they don't fit even close. And is it me, or are your heads a bit smaller than the stock ones? They just look... different.
[RICHR]

Rich,

those Promags will work nice, I am using them on my motor

rrubel said:
Sothpaw, I think I'd have difficulty getting a pass for the whole weekend - and I'd expect you would as well since you'll be a *NEW DAD* by that point!

Moonunit, many thanks for the link to the arms - I'm getting them. Your pic with the gold ones - those were self-aligning, right? That's what I have now, but in silver - and they don't fit even close. And is it me, or are your heads a bit smaller than the stock ones? They just look... different.
[RICHR]

CONGRATS Sothpaw :upthumbs ENJOY :D :L

That's excellent Rich! Yes, those were self aligning, (with guideplates) :(
As for the heads, I duuno, they're AFR 195's, they might look a little different :L ;LOL

rrubel said:
Moonunit, have you seen these?
http://www.lingenfelter.com/lingenfelter/product.asp?dept_id=32&pf_id=117

Wonder if that's a factor in your rocker stud's demise? I'm betting yours were a stock length. Notice, though, that they only come in 3/8ths size...
[RICHR]

Rich, I have heard of and seen some. I didn't need them. I think the ones in my heads might have been stock cheapo's and been damaged by thr old RR's. I don't know much about valve train geometry to be honest. Not sure if you would need them, but you got ARP's coming right? 7/16" Lucky dawg:L

I don't even know which heads you decided to go with.

I've got Pro Topline 200cc intake/64cc chamber (higher CR) aluminum heads. They MAY not have been the best ones to buy (was looking at DART Pro 1's) but the parts place recommended them for price/performance.

My biggest concern, still, is whether the arms will sit down far enough on the studs to be securely locked into place (hence the thought about longer arms). How far down the studs do yours sit?
[RICHR]

Moonunit, I bought those rocker arms and they're a LOT better than what I had. However, they still didn't seem to go far enough down onto the stud. So I called Lingenfelter and talked to Tim Dyer (who is almost getting to recognise my voice). He said that if you're using the double-coil springs, you NEED the extra-length studs. Otherwise, the stud can break about 1/4-1/3 of an inch or a little more down the shaft from the top (he said you needed a MINIMUM of the diameter of the shaft in threads under the locknut). However, LPE only sells the longer ones in 3/8's, so now I need to find them in 7/16ths.

So the saga continues. At least Street and Performance had all the little fittings I needed (though they did send a couple wrong ones first). So studs and pushrods are about all I need. That, and re-do the manifold end seals with "The Right Stuff" this weekend.

[RICHR]

ARP must make them? I wish I new something about the geometry to assist you Rich. You might try a new thread here or ask the question on the other side. I'm sure someone has the answer. My RR's do not look like they're positiond at the right angle, it has been observed, but I had the whole thing checked by a pro builder and got the :upthumbs

BTW I'm running AFR 195's. Comp Cams has an 800 number and if you get the right guy they're pretty knowedgable. Be prepared to spend some time on hold waiting for a tech. If you need the # post or e-mail and I'll get it to ya :beer
I doubt you're gonna break those 7/16" studs though.

If you absolutely can't find a solution, and you have to have the longer studs and can't get them in 7/16", I would surely be willing to trade you my 3/8" stuff for your 7/16". I've only got about 3,000 mi on them and bought them new through Summit ;)

I think some photo's in a new post would be a good place to start over the weekend, and don't forget

therightstuff.jpg

Well, my favorite performance parts shop (Competition Products) had the ARP extra-length studs (they're listed in the catalog as being specifically for roller rockers). $84 instead of $44 for "normal" length stuff. They're 2" above the head instead of about 1.75" or so. So I'll have a set of shorter 7/16 studs to sell...

I did pick up two cans of The Right Stuff (at $12.99 a pop! OUCH!) and as soon as new gaskets arrive (don't want to chance re-using the old) then I'll do the intake manifold again. And the studs will arrive in that shipment as well, and I can measure my pushrod length and order those, and I'll be done with the rebuild phase and ready for the reinstall.

What length pushrods are you running?

Thanks...
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
Well, my favorite performance parts shop (Competition Products) had the ARP extra-length studs (they're listed in the catalog as being specifically for roller rockers). $84 instead of $44 for "normal" length stuff. They're 2" above the head instead of about 1.75" or so. So I'll have a set of shorter 7/16 studs to sell...

I did pick up two cans of The Right Stuff (at $12.99 a pop! OUCH!) and as soon as new gaskets arrive (don't want to chance re-using the old) then I'll do the intake manifold again. And the studs will arrive in that shipment as well, and I can measure my pushrod length and order those, and I'll be done with the rebuild phase and ready for the reinstall.

What length pushrods are you running?

Thanks...
[RICHR]

Great news Rich :beer Ya, The Right Stuff is spendy, but it's worth it. You should probly be using about 1/2 to 2/3 of a can on the intake. Remember no gaskets in the front and rear, just the goop about a 3/8" bead is right. More is better than less.

If I recall correctly I'm running 7.0 Trick Flo chrome moly pushrods. I did buy a set of 7.150's (the same) from Summit when I put the new studs in, thinking I needed longer ones. I could proly save you a few dollars on em if that's the size you need, otherwise I gotta get them back to Summit pretty quick, in the next two weeks or so for a refund. Let me know if you're interested. They were $104 to my door.

Both those numbers sound odd. 7.190 are stock roller cam pushrods. 7.0 sounds short to me. I'll have to measure carefully. However, I'm pretty sure I won't be buying yours; I saw a decent hardened set for about $30 from Competition Products, and a one-piece (no pressed on ball ends) for about $70. IF I need that stock size.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom